• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fixing CT Combat, Yet Keeping It Intact

tbeard1999

SOC-14 1K
This is a split from another thread:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=44&t=000579&p=2

From that thread:

I've become intrigued with the idea of "fixing" Mercenary and High Guard so that they can be used with CT without crashing the CT system. I'll post when I have something concrete. My goal will be:

1. Add as few new rules as possible; change as few rules as possible. Anyone can replace the entire combat system (many of us have). But just for the challenge, make the flawed systems work instead. That said, weapon data is fair game.

2. Prefer simple and elegant fixes over complex ones.
I guess I can't stop myself. After looking at the CT guns charts, I think I understand where the designers arguably went wrong. The weapons modifiers for range and armor are just too high in most cases (particularly military and automatic weaponry). Also, they appear to have "double dipped" by applying modifiers for the same effect to both charts. The result are absurd "to hit" numbers in many cases.

I took a crack at revising the weapon data charts, guided by the following principles:

1. The armor chart reflects the weapon's ability to penetrate armor. Higher accuracy is *not* reflected on this chart. So against unarmored targets, for instance, there's no difference between a rifle or a gauss rifle. All armor modifiers are expressed as negative modifiers. If the armor has little effect on the round, the modifier is 0.

2. The range chart reflects the weapon's accuracy at each range. It also reflects additional projectiles fired by shotguns, flechette rounds and SMGs.

3. Some weapons don't appear on the chart because they are variants of other weapons. The autorifle is a rifle capable of autofire. The assault rifle is a carbine capable of autofire.

4. Jack and reflec are essentially useless against guns; therefore, they are not represented on the chart (which reduces chart clutter a fair amount). Treat a target in jack or reflect as having no armor. Lasers, however, are -8 against reflec. No armor means no modifier to hit. Therefore, No armor does not appear on the charts.

5. Unless otherwise stated, use all CT “to hit” modifiers.

So here's the revised chart for:

RANGE MODIFIERS

..............C.....S.....M.....L.....V
Carbine......-4.....0.....0....-2.....-3
Rifle........-4....-1.....0....-1.....-2
ACR-DS.......-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
ACR-HE.......-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
Gauss........-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
Shotgun......-4....+1....+3....-6.....no
SMG...........0....+2....+2....-6.....-9
Laser Rifle..-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
Laser Carb...-2....-1.....0....-1.....-2
Body Pistol..+2.....0....-4....no.....no
Revolver.....+1.....0....-3....-4.....no
Autopistol...+1.....0....-4....-5.....no
LAG - DS.....-4....-1.....0....-1.....-2
LAG - HE.....-4....-1.....0....-1.....-2
LAG - Flech..-4....-1....+2....+1.....-4
Acc Rifle....-8....-6.....0.....0.....no
Snub HE......+1.....0....-5....no.....no
Snub HEAP....+1.....0....-5....no.....no
Snub Tranq...+1.....0....-5....no.....no
LMG..........no....-6....+2....+2.....0

ARMOR MODIFIERS
...........Mesh...Cloth..Ablat...Cbt Arm
Carbine.....-2.....-3.....-1.....-5
Rifle.......-1.....-2.....-1.....-4
ACR-DS......-1.....-1.....-1.....-2
ACR-HE......-2.....-3.....-2.....-3
Gauss.......-1.....-1.....-1.....-2
Shotgun.....-2.....-4.....-2.....-7
SMG.........-2.....-3.....-2.....-6
Laser Rfl...-1......0.....-7.....-6
Laser Carb..-1.....-1.....-7.....-6
Body Pistol.-3.....-4.....-3.....-7
Revolver....-2.....-3.....-2.....-6
Autopistol..-2.....-3.....-2.....-6
LAG - DS.....0......0......0......0
LAG - HE....-1.....-1.....-1.....-3
LAG - Flch..-2.....-4.....-2.....-6
Acc Rifle...-1.....-1.....-1.....-3
Snub HE.....-2.....-3.....-2.....-4
Snub HEAP...-1.....-1.....-1.....-3
Snub Tranq..-3.....-5.....-2.....-10
LMG.........-1.....-2.....-1.....-4

Notes:
</font>
  • Weapons capable of automatic fire add +2 when firing a burst; gauss rifles add +3.

The Autorifle is a Rifle capable of automatic fire; use the Rifle stats.

The Assault Rifle is a Carbine capable of automatic fire; use the Carbine stats.

SMGs normally fire automatically; their autofire bonus is already in the table.

If the target has no armor, jack armor or reflec, the “to hit” modifier is 0.

If a laser is shooting reflec, the to hit modifier is -8.

Advantageous DEX modifiers are as listed in CT, but all +2 modifiers are treated as +1 instead.
    Autorifles, Accelerator Rifles, LAGs, ACRs and Gauss Rifles use the same DEX modifiers as Rifles. Assault rifles use the DEX modifiers Carbines respectively.</font>

To sanity check this system, here are the base “to hit” numbers at medium range for the rifles (by armor type):

........None....Mesh....Cloth...Ablat...Cbt
Carbine...8......10......11......9......13
Rifle.....8.......9......10......9......12
ACR-DS....8.......9.......9......9......10
ACR-HE....8......10......11.....10......11
Gauss.....8.......9.......9......9......10

Shotgun...5.......7.......9......7......12

SMG.......6.......8.......9......8......12

Laser R...8.......9.......8.....15......14
Laser C...8.......9.......8.....15......14

LAG DS....8.......8.......8.....8........8
LAG HE....8.......9.......9.....9.......11
LAG Fl....6.......8......10.....8.......12

Acc Rfl...8.......9.......9......9......11

LMG.......6.......7.......8......7......10

Here are the “to hit” numbers for pistols at short range:

.........None...Mesh...Cloth...Ablat...Cbt
Body Pist.8......11......12......11......15
Revolver..8......10......11......10......14
Autopist..8......10......11......10......14
Snub HE...8......10......11......10......12
Snub HEAP.8.......9.......9.......9......11
Snub Tran.8......11......13......10......18

(Charts line up if font is Courier)
Observations:

This system is not really compatible with CT’s ratings, so it will be necessary to re-rate weapons appearing in supplements. Here are some of the assumptions that guided me:

1. My baseline weapon was the Rifle. I scaled other weapons off it.

2. To determine Range modifiers, I classed each weapon initially as a Rifle or Pistol and gave it generic “to hit” modifiers for range. I then tweaked the chart for specific weapons (making Carbines a little less effective at longer ranges, adding the +2 autofire bonus for SMGs, making SMGs a little nastier up close and less useful at long range, making revolvers a little more accurate than autopistols at medium range, etc.)

3. To determine Armor modifiers, I began by determining that armor modifiers would be negative numbers or zero. My rough scale:

Armor Means
0 Weapon easily penetrates armor.
-1 Weapon has a little trouble penetrating armor.
-2 Weapon has some trouble penetrating armor, but is still effective in the hands of a skilled user.
-3, -4 Weapon has a lot of trouble penetrating armor and is relatively ineffective.
-5, -6 Weapon has no real chance of penetrating armor.

I started with the Rifle and decided that it would be -2 vs Cloth and -4 vs Cbt Armor. I then scaled the other weapons by comparing them to Rifles. Carbines were a little less effective than Rifles; ACR-DS were a little better (and more accurate at longer ranges due to integral sights and gyrostabilization); and so on. Note that gauss rifles are *far* more rational in this system. They are better than ACRs, but are no longer Waste-O-Matics! In general, I wanted pistols to be relatively useless against armored targets, unless the firer was highly skilled. The exception is the snub pistol firing HEAP; it’s considerably more effective against armored targets.

These modifiers may seem modest, but remember that a +1 is a pretty big modifier in a 2d6 system; as much as a 17% shift.

The best base “to hit” number for a non-shotgun firing a single shot is 8+. Most autofire weapons get a 6+ or a 5+, so a decent skill/DEX bonus can result in very high chances to hit unarmored targets. I have no problem with that. Against normal armor (cloth), Rifles hit on a 10+ (17% chance of hitting), with armor-piercing weapons hitting on a 9+ (27%). Again, autofire and weapons skills/DEX bonuses can dramatically improve the chance of hitting.

In the original CT system, semiautomatic weapons generally have a little better chance of hitting armored targets, with autofire weapons having a system-breakingly better chance of hitting (the ACR hits Cloth at medium range on a 6+ and hits an unarmored target on a 1+). The absurdity worsens with lighter armored targets and with autofire weapons.

Here’s a modest bit of chrome. It seems clear to me that automatic weapon fire is relatively inaccurate, compared to aimed fire. In Iraq, journalists can tell the difference between US/UK soldiers and insurgents by listening – the well-trained Americans and Brits usually shoot single shots while the untrained terrorists usually fire full auto.

To reflect this, consider this rule –

When firing an autofire burst, the firer make take *either* the autofire bonus or his weapon skill bonus, but not both.

Comments?

This is a split from another thread:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=44&t=000579&p=2

From that thread:

I've become intrigued with the idea of "fixing" Mercenary and High Guard so that they can be used with CT without crashing the CT system. I'll post when I have something concrete. My goal will be:

1. Add as few new rules as possible; change as few rules as possible. Anyone can replace the entire combat system (many of us have). But just for the challenge, make the flawed systems work instead. That said, weapon data is fair game.

2. Prefer simple and elegant fixes over complex ones.
I guess I can't stop myself. After looking at the CT guns charts, I think I understand where the designers arguably went wrong. The weapons modifiers for range and armor are just too high in most cases (particularly military and automatic weaponry). Also, they appear to have "double dipped" by applying modifiers for the same effect to both charts. The result are absurd "to hit" numbers in many cases.

I took a crack at revising the weapon data charts, guided by the following principles:

1. The armor chart reflects the weapon's ability to penetrate armor. Higher accuracy is *not* reflected on this chart. So against unarmored targets, for instance, there's no difference between a rifle or a gauss rifle. All armor modifiers are expressed as negative modifiers. If the armor has little effect on the round, the modifier is 0.

2. The range chart reflects the weapon's accuracy at each range. It also reflects additional projectiles fired by shotguns, flechette rounds and SMGs.

3. Some weapons don't appear on the chart because they are variants of other weapons. The autorifle is a rifle capable of autofire. The assault rifle is a carbine capable of autofire.

4. Jack and reflec are essentially useless against guns; therefore, they are not represented on the chart (which reduces chart clutter a fair amount). Treat a target in jack or reflect as having no armor. Lasers, however, are -8 against reflec. No armor means no modifier to hit. Therefore, No armor does not appear on the charts.

5. Unless otherwise stated, use all CT “to hit” modifiers.

So here's the revised chart for:

RANGE MODIFIERS

..............C.....S.....M.....L.....V
Carbine......-4.....0.....0....-2.....-3
Rifle........-4....-1.....0....-1.....-2
ACR-DS.......-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
ACR-HE.......-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
Gauss........-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
Shotgun......-4....+1....+3....-6.....no
SMG...........0....+2....+2....-6.....-9
Laser Rifle..-4....-1.....0.....0.....-1
Laser Carb...-2....-1.....0....-1.....-2
Body Pistol..+2.....0....-4....no.....no
Revolver.....+1.....0....-3....-4.....no
Autopistol...+1.....0....-4....-5.....no
LAG - DS.....-4....-1.....0....-1.....-2
LAG - HE.....-4....-1.....0....-1.....-2
LAG - Flech..-4....-1....+2....+1.....-4
Acc Rifle....-8....-6.....0.....0.....no
Snub HE......+1.....0....-5....no.....no
Snub HEAP....+1.....0....-5....no.....no
Snub Tranq...+1.....0....-5....no.....no
LMG..........no....-6....+2....+2.....0

ARMOR MODIFIERS
...........Mesh...Cloth..Ablat...Cbt Arm
Carbine.....-2.....-3.....-1.....-5
Rifle.......-1.....-2.....-1.....-4
ACR-DS......-1.....-1.....-1.....-2
ACR-HE......-2.....-3.....-2.....-3
Gauss.......-1.....-1.....-1.....-2
Shotgun.....-2.....-4.....-2.....-7
SMG.........-2.....-3.....-2.....-6
Laser Rfl...-1......0.....-7.....-6
Laser Carb..-1.....-1.....-7.....-6
Body Pistol.-3.....-4.....-3.....-7
Revolver....-2.....-3.....-2.....-6
Autopistol..-2.....-3.....-2.....-6
LAG - DS.....0......0......0......0
LAG - HE....-1.....-1.....-1.....-3
LAG - Flch..-2.....-4.....-2.....-6
Acc Rifle...-1.....-1.....-1.....-3
Snub HE.....-2.....-3.....-2.....-4
Snub HEAP...-1.....-1.....-1.....-3
Snub Tranq..-3.....-5.....-2.....-10
LMG.........-1.....-2.....-1.....-4

Notes:
</font>
  • Weapons capable of automatic fire add +2 when firing a burst; gauss rifles add +3.

The Autorifle is a Rifle capable of automatic fire; use the Rifle stats.

The Assault Rifle is a Carbine capable of automatic fire; use the Carbine stats.

SMGs normally fire automatically; their autofire bonus is already in the table.

If the target has no armor, jack armor or reflec, the “to hit” modifier is 0.

If a laser is shooting reflec, the to hit modifier is -8.

Advantageous DEX modifiers are as listed in CT, but all +2 modifiers are treated as +1 instead.
    Autorifles, Accelerator Rifles, LAGs, ACRs and Gauss Rifles use the same DEX modifiers as Rifles. Assault rifles use the DEX modifiers Carbines respectively.</font>

To sanity check this system, here are the base “to hit” numbers at medium range for the rifles (by armor type):

........None....Mesh....Cloth...Ablat...Cbt
Carbine...8......10......11......9......13
Rifle.....8.......9......10......9......12
ACR-DS....8.......9.......9......9......10
ACR-HE....8......10......11.....10......11
Gauss.....8.......9.......9......9......10

Shotgun...5.......7.......9......7......12

SMG.......6.......8.......9......8......12

Laser R...8.......9.......8.....15......14
Laser C...8.......9.......8.....15......14

LAG DS....8.......8.......8.....8........8
LAG HE....8.......9.......9.....9.......11
LAG Fl....6.......8......10.....8.......12

Acc Rfl...8.......9.......9......9......11

LMG.......6.......7.......8......7......10

Here are the “to hit” numbers for pistols at short range:

.........None...Mesh...Cloth...Ablat...Cbt
Body Pist.8......11......12......11......15
Revolver..8......10......11......10......14
Autopist..8......10......11......10......14
Snub HE...8......10......11......10......12
Snub HEAP.8.......9.......9.......9......11
Snub Tran.8......11......13......10......18

(Charts line up if font is Courier)
Observations:

This system is not really compatible with CT’s ratings, so it will be necessary to re-rate weapons appearing in supplements. Here are some of the assumptions that guided me:

1. My baseline weapon was the Rifle. I scaled other weapons off it.

2. To determine Range modifiers, I classed each weapon initially as a Rifle or Pistol and gave it generic “to hit” modifiers for range. I then tweaked the chart for specific weapons (making Carbines a little less effective at longer ranges, adding the +2 autofire bonus for SMGs, making SMGs a little nastier up close and less useful at long range, making revolvers a little more accurate than autopistols at medium range, etc.)

3. To determine Armor modifiers, I began by determining that armor modifiers would be negative numbers or zero. My rough scale:

Armor Means
0 Weapon easily penetrates armor.
-1 Weapon has a little trouble penetrating armor.
-2 Weapon has some trouble penetrating armor, but is still effective in the hands of a skilled user.
-3, -4 Weapon has a lot of trouble penetrating armor and is relatively ineffective.
-5, -6 Weapon has no real chance of penetrating armor.

I started with the Rifle and decided that it would be -2 vs Cloth and -4 vs Cbt Armor. I then scaled the other weapons by comparing them to Rifles. Carbines were a little less effective than Rifles; ACR-DS were a little better (and more accurate at longer ranges due to integral sights and gyrostabilization); and so on. Note that gauss rifles are *far* more rational in this system. They are better than ACRs, but are no longer Waste-O-Matics! In general, I wanted pistols to be relatively useless against armored targets, unless the firer was highly skilled. The exception is the snub pistol firing HEAP; it’s considerably more effective against armored targets.

These modifiers may seem modest, but remember that a +1 is a pretty big modifier in a 2d6 system; as much as a 17% shift.

The best base “to hit” number for a non-shotgun firing a single shot is 8+. Most autofire weapons get a 6+ or a 5+, so a decent skill/DEX bonus can result in very high chances to hit unarmored targets. I have no problem with that. Against normal armor (cloth), Rifles hit on a 10+ (17% chance of hitting), with armor-piercing weapons hitting on a 9+ (27%). Again, autofire and weapons skills/DEX bonuses can dramatically improve the chance of hitting.

In the original CT system, semiautomatic weapons generally have a little better chance of hitting armored targets, with autofire weapons having a system-breakingly better chance of hitting (the ACR hits Cloth at medium range on a 6+ and hits an unarmored target on a 1+). The absurdity worsens with lighter armored targets and with autofire weapons.

Here’s a modest bit of chrome. It seems clear to me that automatic weapon fire is relatively inaccurate, compared to aimed fire. In Iraq, journalists can tell the difference between US/UK soldiers and insurgents by listening – the well-trained Americans and Brits usually shoot single shots while the untrained terrorists usually fire full auto.

To reflect this, consider this rule –

When firing an autofire burst, the firer make take *either* the autofire bonus or his weapon skill bonus, but not both.

Comments?

Simpler solution: change from 2d for 8+ to 3d for 12+. This effectively rescales the modifiers to 2/3 of their old one, makes the high ones no less severe, but the low ones become less severe by far.

Simpler solution: change from 2d for 8+ to 3d for 12+. This effectively rescales the modifiers to 2/3 of their old one, makes the high ones no less severe, but the low ones become less severe by far.

Originally posted by Aramis:
Ignoring the fact that I set out to preserve the CT 2d6 system, it really doesn't look to me like you gain all that much by adding an additional die.

A roll of 12+ succeeds 37.5% of the time. A +4 net modifier will assure success most of the time (84%) and a +5 modifier will assure success ~90% of the time. That's pretty easy to get in Traveller, especially with Book 4 weapons and character generation.

This problem -- the relatively small number of *significant* steps in the probability curve -- exists in all bell curve-generating die systems. In CT, the individual "to hit" modifiers can range from -8 to +7. And there are FIVE classes of modifiers. To reasonably accomodate that kind of range, I think you need *far* more steps than 3d6 or even 4d6 gives you. The only way to increase the number of steps and keep the number of dice reasonable is to increase the range of numbers generated by the dice (i.e., use d8s, d10s, d12s or d20s).

The use of multiple d6s has a paradoxical effect -- relatively modest bonuses dramatically affect the probabilities, while large bonuses have little additional effect. So low skill levels are disproportionately rewarded and high skill levels give little additional benefit (to normal tasks, that is).

In a 2d6 system (8+ to succeed), there's not really much difference between a +4 and a +8 modifier. One succeeds 92% of the time, the other succeeds 100% of the time. And a relatively modest +2 modifier will almost double your chances of success (from 41% to 72%).

The same is essentially true of 3d6 (12+ success), though the numbers are a little different. Not much difference between a +5 modifier (91% chance of success)and a +10 modifier (100% chance of success). And a modest +2 will change your chance of success from 38% to 63%. A +3 will change your chance of success from 38% to 74%.

How this is somehow an "advantage" eludes me.

As I noted in the other thread:

If you simply *had* to have a bell curve, I suggest 2d10 (12+ success). Using the "high is good" approach, a +6 modifier will ensure success most of the time (91%) a -5 will cause failure most of the time (91%). A modest +2 bonus moves the success chance from 45% to 64%.

This is a little better than a 3d6 but not much. It's a lot better than 2d6.

Of course, a d20 (success 12+) gives you plenty of room for modifiers -- a +9 ensures success most of the time (90%) and a -8 ensures failure most of the time (90%).

And a d20 gives you plenty of room for 5 categories of modifiers.

Since I see nothing particularly magical about d6s -- and since the bell curve generated by them severely limits the number and range of modifiers (without breaking the system) -- I'll probably shift to a d20.

Unless I *really* like this new combat system.

Originally posted by Aramis:
Ignoring the fact that I set out to preserve the CT 2d6 system, it really doesn't look to me like you gain all that much by adding an additional die.

A roll of 12+ succeeds 37.5% of the time. A +4 net modifier will assure success most of the time (84%) and a +5 modifier will assure success ~90% of the time. That's pretty easy to get in Traveller, especially with Book 4 weapons and character generation.

This problem -- the relatively small number of *significant* steps in the probability curve -- exists in all bell curve-generating die systems. In CT, the individual "to hit" modifiers can range from -8 to +7. And there are FIVE classes of modifiers. To reasonably accomodate that kind of range, I think you need *far* more steps than 3d6 or even 4d6 gives you. The only way to increase the number of steps and keep the number of dice reasonable is to increase the range of numbers generated by the dice (i.e., use d8s, d10s, d12s or d20s).

The use of multiple d6s has a paradoxical effect -- relatively modest bonuses dramatically affect the probabilities, while large bonuses have little additional effect. So low skill levels are disproportionately rewarded and high skill levels give little additional benefit (to normal tasks, that is).

In a 2d6 system (8+ to succeed), there's not really much difference between a +4 and a +8 modifier. One succeeds 92% of the time, the other succeeds 100% of the time. And a relatively modest +2 modifier will almost double your chances of success (from 41% to 72%).

The same is essentially true of 3d6 (12+ success), though the numbers are a little different. Not much difference between a +5 modifier (91% chance of success)and a +10 modifier (100% chance of success). And a modest +2 will change your chance of success from 38% to 63%. A +3 will change your chance of success from 38% to 74%.

How this is somehow an "advantage" eludes me.

As I noted in the other thread:

If you simply *had* to have a bell curve, I suggest 2d10 (12+ success). Using the "high is good" approach, a +6 modifier will ensure success most of the time (91%) a -5 will cause failure most of the time (91%). A modest +2 bonus moves the success chance from 45% to 64%.

This is a little better than a 3d6 but not much. It's a lot better than 2d6.

Of course, a d20 (success 12+) gives you plenty of room for modifiers -- a +9 ensures success most of the time (90%) and a -8 ensures failure most of the time (90%).

And a d20 gives you plenty of room for 5 categories of modifiers.

Since I see nothing particularly magical about d6s -- and since the bell curve generated by them severely limits the number and range of modifiers (without breaking the system) -- I'll probably shift to a d20.

Unless I *really* like this new combat system.

My suggestions:

Heavy revolvers/pistols do 3d+1, 3d+2 or 3d+3 damage depending on how heavy (and apply this to other weapons too).

Gauss Pistols, Laser Carbines, Rifles, Autorifles, Assault Rifles and related cp-rifles do 4d damage.

Laser Rifles, Shotguns, Gauss Rifles and HEAVY Adv. Cbt. Rifles do 5d.

My suggestions:

Heavy revolvers/pistols do 3d+1, 3d+2 or 3d+3 damage depending on how heavy (and apply this to other weapons too).

Gauss Pistols, Laser Carbines, Rifles, Autorifles, Assault Rifles and related cp-rifles do 4d damage.

Laser Rifles, Shotguns, Gauss Rifles and HEAVY Adv. Cbt. Rifles do 5d.

Back