• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fixing the Government UWP?

Originally posted by Hemdian:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
If the Gov rating is only an indicator (an indeterminate word) of what the players are likely to encounter in their "dealings" (whatever those are), then the question must be posed, what is the real Gov-type of all those many thousands of worlds out there? I guess that would mean another round of stat-generation.
Exactly my conclusion.
</font>[/QUOTE]Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
Not to mention that virtually all written game material elsewhere seems to treat the Gov rating as exactly what it say it is, the government-type of the planet.
Successive generations building upon a false premis. Note that the budget model presented in TCS has been knocked back for use ouside the context of TCS and yet people still insist on using it when trying to define the wider Imperial military budget.

Regards PLST
</font>[/QUOTE]Discarding all description work throughout canon of all Government Types, would, I think, be counter productive.

So will changing the meaning of the UWP government number ;)

Leave it alone or this becomes a totally house ruled setting.

Modifying the physical parameters of a world the way Mal has advocated all along is fine, it removes combinations of world characteristics whicha are totally impossible. But government number 5 shoould still be feudal technocracy, 6 captive government, 7 balkanised etc. otherwise only people with a full set of the modified house rules will understand the changes.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Modifying the physical parameters of a world the way Mal has advocated all along is fine, it removes combinations of world characteristics whicha are totally impossible.
Actually, at this stage in its development at least, some the atmosphere codes (and how they're determined) are changing. The Ellipsoid atmosphere is definitely out of the window, either way. The scale is stil from 0 to F (actually, it's 0 to H now), but some of the meanings are changing depending on context.

Note that the budget model presented in TCS has been knocked back for use ouside the context of TCS and yet people still insist on using it when trying to define the wider Imperial military budget.
That's because the TCS/Striker model still is the best available model. Not only did Marc not provide a substitute when he decanonised it (something that still rankles with me), but Anthony Jackson did an analysis based on Real Life which showed that the TML model was well inside the ballpark.

BTW, please note that I for one never tried to apply the TML figures directly to the Imperium. I carefully tried to extrapolate a model from the TML model that would work for the Imperium, based on the assumption that pocket empires surrounded by potentially hostile pocket empires of their own strength level would spend more, even in peacetime, than Imperial worlds would.

Hans

It's possible to come up with a new table for generating Government types, and still use the original Traveller UWP codes for the governments, so that there's no transition in the use of basic UWP data, only in how it's generated.

Example:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Result GovCode Descriptor
2 7 Balkanized
3 3 Oligarchy
4 6 Colony/Captured
etc...</pre>[/QUOTE]I'm hoping that this is the direction you decide to go on this for your Revised UWP Generation method, Mal.

My two creds,
Flynn

"Fixing the Government UWP?"

I didn't realize that it was broken. ;)

--------------------
'Stay the course' is an admirable sentiment unless you're steaming in circles.
Perhaps but I tend to hold to the opinion that mankind is not all that malleable and that the most successful programs in statesmanship are those that acknowlege the situation. In Sword Worlds the book imagines that the PC's political beliefs would either be changeing the whole system, leaving it as it is, or tinkering with it. I think if I was a Swordie I would be a "tinkerer", but not a revoulutionary.
As for the Imperium, well there is a limit to how much democracy can be obtained simply because of the inability to communicate from the home planet to the Moot. Remember that democracy was originally invented to govern city-states, and in fact still works in it's most "pure" form on the local level.
Oligarchy of some kind is probably inevitable, in all systems. Nor is it necessarily a bad thing. It is not really self-evident that all men are created equal and observation would tell you that they are not-but perhaps what they mean is equal in the eye's of the law, not in talents or good fortune. The question is what kind of oligarchy.
The Imperium is not really the ideal form. Violence is tolerated to a degree many twentieth century people would find shocking. On the other hand most of the violence is between those who willingly chose to risk it's dangers, and the Imperium makes sure it doesn't trouble others much. The Imperium is strong enough to keep order, but it is not strong enough to become an overwhelming tyranny, and the freedom of travel prevents to much local oppression. So if not ideal, the Imperium provides a reasonable compromise between the demands of freedom and order.

Originally posted by Flynn:
It's possible to come up with a new table for generating Government types, and still use the original Traveller UWP codes for the governments, so that there's no transition in the use of basic UWP data, only in how it's generated.

Example: <snipped>

I'm hoping that this is the direction you decide to go on this for your Revised UWP Generation method, Mal.
Here's my first off-the-cuff attempt to map the Traveller Government types on to the Earth Colonies Social Authority types I posted earlier:

Earth Colonies Social Authority (Traveller Government mapping)

0 none (0-none; 7-balkanization)

1 autocratic autarchy (B-non-charismatic dictator?)

2 autocratic oligarchy (1-company/corporation; 3-self-perpetuating oligarchy; 5-feudal technocracy; 6-captive)

3 consensual demarchy (2-participating democracy?)

4 (democratic) demarchy (2-participating democracy)

5 consensual autarchy (A-charismatic dictator?)

6 democratic autarchy (A-charismatic dictator; B-non-charismatic dictator; D-religious dictatorship)

7 consensual oligarchy (8-civil service bureaucracy; 1-company/corporation?; 5-feudal technocracy?; C-charismatic oligarchy?)

8 democratic oligarchy (4-representative democracy; 9-impersonal bureaucracy; C-charismatic oligarchy; E-religious oligarchy; F-totalitarian oligarchy)
-------------

Obviously there are other mappings. The bottom line is that this illustrates (for me, at least) the high degree of arbitrariness in the Traveller Government types.

YMMV

Originally posted by Malenfant:
This, I feel, is an utterly needless complication - plus it renders the gov digit largely useless when it comes to figuring out the government of the planet. We really don't need to roll on two tables to get the same info. As I see it, the Gov digit gives you an solid, objective classification of the world government, and the Law digit tells you how they treat their society. Every interpretation that I've ever seen (including in the CT books) supports this, and I've never seen anything to contradict this.

The "interaction" side of it is pretty much entirely within the law level - that tells travellers how oppressive or liberal the world is. The gov digit as it stands provides enough information to tell them how the place is run (e.g. bureaucracies will probably have lots of red tape, etc). I'm not seeing where there's any need for anything else here.
Okay, for the moment lets take the position that the Gov code is an objective description of how a world is run. Now lets compare the US of today with the US of 1940. Both would be a representative democracy. Apart from the difference in TL would living in the US in 1940 feel the same as living in the US today? Can these differences be explained away by a change in law level? The fact is that unless you are running a high powered campaign with nobles and megacorp representatives, or want to perform some macroeconomic analysis, then from a role player's perspective the Gov code is just some minor background trivia. But if you use the Gov code in the way outlined by Marc in his High Passage article (*) then the difference between 1940 US and today's US can be descibed, in part, by a Gov code change.

Which ever way you slice it, if you want to properly define a world's government you going to have to have multiple codes. Whether you accept the current code as being the overall description and introduce additional codes to cover social substructure, militaryism, etc ... or accept the current code as being indicative of the lower-order interaction and introduce additional codes to define the higher structures, the result's the same: more codes. In fact without extra codes then either viewpoint gives us a Gov code that leaves more unsaid than is said about a world's government.

Another problem with the "objective description" view is the missing government types. I've actually seen someone argue that since there was no Gov code for a communist state that communism was obveously a freak anomaly that wouldn't be repeated anywhere in the OTU.

So, when my tramp trading characters visit a new world I know which viewpoint on Gov codes is more useful to me. However, as always, YMMV.

Regards PLST

* = At the time Marc Miller wrote his article High Pasage magazine was not some obscure fanzine, it was 2nd only to JTAS. It was only subsequently that the magazine folded and Digest Magazine sprang out of nowhere to fill the number 2 slot.

Okay, for the moment lets take the position that the Gov code is an objective description of how a world is run. Now lets compare the US of today with the US of 1940. Both would be a representative democracy.
To an extent, that highlights the limitations of the current giv digit system - not wanting to start a political flame war, the current US government is a Representative Democracy in the sense of that being how they're elected, but they actually run the place as if they were an Impersonal Bureaucracy (you could even argue that it's becoming so that Bush is a Charismatic Dictator. Or a Non-Charismatic Leader, depending on who you talk to). If you're really cynical (or perhaps realistic) you could argue that the US government is a Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy given that decisions are made according to what powerful lobbyists (eg the gun lobby, oil industry, christians, etc) say than what the people on the ground doing the voting actually want.

The point is that the gov digit seems to only indicate how a new government is created, not how it actually runs the place. That, I think, is reflected more in the Law Level (though bizarrely, Traveller seems to judge a world's law level largely by the restrictions it has on carrying and using weaponry). So while it may be a Representative Democracy in terms of how people are elected (and given the last election, even that is arguable), I'd say that the Law Level post-9/11 is probably above A.

Apart from the difference in TL would living in the US in 1940 feel the same as living in the US today? Can these differences be explained away by a change in law level?
Probably, yes.

The fact is that unless you are running a high powered campaign with nobles and megacorp representatives, or want to perform some macroeconomic analysis, then from a role player's perspective the Gov code is just some minor background trivia. But if you use the Gov code in the way outlined by Marc in his High Passage article (*) then the difference between 1940 US and today's US can be descibed, in part, by a Gov code change.
You'll note that in Book 6 it does say that the LAW level is "the general throw to avoid harrassment by police or other law enforcement agencies".

Thing is, some of the other UWPs are "background trivia" too. Why does world size indicate the size of the planet when in practical terms it'd be more useful to use it to say what the surface gravity is? Why is the hydrographic percentage important for players?

Which ever way you slice it, if you want to properly define a world's government you going to have to have multiple codes.
That's true for all the other UWP digits too. Why have world size when you could have density and gravity digits too? Why have a single atmosphere digit when you could separate it into density, composition, and breathability? Why have a single hydrosphere digit when you could split it into percentage, depth, and composition? And so on.

Whether you accept the current code as being the overall description and introduce additional codes to cover social substructure, militaryism, etc ... or accept the current code as being indicative of the lower-order interaction and introduce additional codes to define the higher structures, the result's the same: more codes. In fact without extra codes then either viewpoint gives us a Gov code that leaves more unsaid than is said about a world's government.
True, but I don't see how this is particularly relevant. The UWP was never supposed to explain EVERYTHING about a planet.

Another problem with the "objective description" view is the missing government types. I've actually seen someone argue that since there was no Gov code for a communist state that communism was obveously a freak anomaly that wouldn't be repeated anywhere in the OTU.
Communism could be classed as a Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy (or a Charismatic Oligarchy, if the populace love it) with a high law level. I'm not seeing a problem here.

I don't believe you can describe the running of a world using the government digit alone any more than you could describe the physical characteristic using just the atmosphere digit on its own. But when used with the population and law digits, you get a better idea of how it works.

Basically, I see the UWP as something that the Scouts themselves would use to classify worlds. It's a very elegant system. In eight digits you have enough information to get the basic characteristics of a planet and its society. Sure, you can add more, but as it stands it works very well for what it does. But if you start saying "ah, it's all subjective and based on interactions" it becomes utterly useless as such.

From left field....

If you use a 2d6 roll, applying a +1 DM if the Pop is 5+ you could also restructure the results derived on the Government Table.

2 No Government
3 Participating Democracy (-1)
4 Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy (-1)
5 Captive Government
6 Non-Charismatic Leader (-1)
7 Company/ Corporation (+1)
8 Balkanization
9 Representative Democracy (+1)
10 Civil Service Bureaucracy
11 Impersonal Bureaucracy
12 Charismatic Dictator
13 Charismatic Oligarchy (+1)

My question is how do you determine the DM on the Tech Level Table a particular government might have?

The table above includes my WAG's as to what modifier to apply on the Tech Level Table is noted in parenthesis. Of course which governments would have a positive and which would have a negative influence on the advancement of tech level is a new debate.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I don't believe you can describe the running of a world using the government digit alone any more than you could describe the physical characteristic using just the atmosphere digit on its own.
I have to disagree on this point. Or perhaps more accurately say it depends upon the "level of analysis" (or detail) you're looking at. For example, I believe the types of "social authority" I posted earlier capture every form of government imaginable, at a given level of detail (because they describe comprehensively both the nature of the ruling authority and the source of that authority's legitimacy). The current Traveller Government codes don't do this without a very "liberal" (and I would argue arbitrary) amount of "interpretation."

To use your analogy of the UWP physical characteristics, using something like the "social authority" I have suggested is akin to using "surface gravity" instead of the current planetary diameter: it's much more relevant and useful for Travellers visiting the world.

Back