• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Fixing the Type S (Sulieman)

There may be enough ceiling clearance to do that -- need to double-check that I started the stateroom block far enough aft for that. Would have been impossible with the original layout, since the outer forward corners would have been clipped off by the hull contours.
It you moved the bunks facing port and starboard with the head of the bunks towards the center line, would that give you the room?

It you moved the bunks facing port and starboard with the head of the bunks towards the center line, would that give you the room?
Think of it this way.

In a 2x2 squares stateroom, 1 of those squares needs to be walk space, so you've only got 3 out of 4 squares that can have "stuff" in them inside the room.

In a 3x2 squares stateroom, 1 of those squares still needs to be walk space, but the extra 2 can be fresher facilities.

JEsPK5v.png
olZVnFh.png

In all my deck plan research, communal freshers start making more (deck plan) sense once you've reached 6-8 staterooms minimum, but doesn't make enough sense when dealing with 2-5 staterooms ... primarily because you're just not saving enough space by making smaller staterooms to pool together into a common fresher for everyone to use.

I know I've said this elsewhere, but it bears repeating.
If you make the simplified assumption that 4 tons=8 deck squares, then a 3x2 stateroom is 6 out of those 8 deck squares. Add in the corridor hallway outside the door and you're quickly up to those 8 squares of allocated space.

This is why I've moved in the direction of a 2.5x2 squares spacing for staterooms facing each other across a common corridor running between them.
3*4*14/1.5/1.5/3=24.88888888888889=25 = 5x5 deck squares
Which then makes THIS possible ... with only 3 staterooms

RYdhahS.png
LZlG1Z4.png

25 deck squares
15 squares for 3 staterooms (with 2m long single beds in them)
5 squares for common galley/laundry/lounge space or medical autodoc office
5 squares for common access hallway running between them (only 20% of the total available volume is "lost" to access corridors).

4 tons * 4*14/1.5/1.5/3=33.18518518518519=33 = 5x5 plus 8 more squares ... or 6x5 plus 3 more squares ... which no matter how you slice it isn't going to look that appealing/elegantly symmetrical once you finally get down to carving up the spaces on a deck plan. Take the freshers out of each stateroom so you can have a communal fresher facility for all and your deck plan budget turns into 4x5 plus 13 more squares (of which 2-3 are going to have to be the communal fresher).
  1. 5x5 with individual freshers plus 8 more squares for common area including necessary walk space.
  2. 4x5 without freshers plus 13 more squares for common area which must also include a communal fresher and walk space.
In other words, the communal fresher is only "saving" you all of 2-4 deck squares relative to the private freshers in every stateroom option, and a significant portion of that savings is going to get eaten up by needing to allocate addition corridor walk space ... so in the end, you're really not saving a a truly useful amount of deck area/volume by going with a communal fresher. You're saving some space to add to a common room, but in a lot of configurations adding only 1-3 squares isn't going to make but so much difference in the context of the rest of the design scheme.

How you "stack" the bricks you're using is just as important as the shape of those bricks (as any Master Builder of LEGOs).

It looks like in a 2X2 stateroom having an extra square to put things in and walk around in makes a shared head look like a better deal. Having to share the room with another person would make the extra room a plus. Anything larger than 2X2 would have room for s head in each room.

And nobody's mentioned laundry facilities. (They never do.)

The in-universe answer is there's an ultrasonic grav laundry drawer under the bed or something.

Out-of-universe, the crew walks across the studio lot from the spaceship set to the Wardrobe.trailer. :)

Last edited:

The in-universe answer is there's an ultrasonic grav laundry drawer under the bed or something.

Out-of-universe, the crew walks across the studio lot from the spaceship set to the Wardrobe.trailer. :)
Why do you think the filters need changed so often on Scout ships.
"The major fault of the type S scoutlcourier is its air system. Although of respectable quality for life support, it begins to smell after about three weeks of use. Thereafter, the smell becomes increasingly obnoxious, and most crew members find the smell intolerable after six weeks."

Why do you think the filters need changed so often on Scout ships.
"The major fault of the type S scoutlcourier is its air system. Although of respectable quality for life support, it begins to smell after about three weeks of use. Thereafter, the smell becomes increasingly obnoxious, and most crew members find the smell intolerable after six weeks."
Again, the "buy and install a ton of machinery to fix the air system" bit seems a lot more reasonable when GDW has given the players several extra tons of interior space to work with. I'd just say that the official-issue filters are low-quality -- and they're what you get if you rely on the free life-support from Scout Bases. Pay your own life support costs and there's no problem.

Last edited:
Heh, I play with a couple of people that look for those first....

I generally state that they are part of the fresher.. On some Yachts I have been on there is a Washer/Dryer installation in the primary Head...

Don't get me started on individual Freashers....
Heh, I play with a couple of people that look for those first...."
"Help me stepbrother I'm stuck." :LOL:

Actually, I included a (vertical stack) front loading washer+dryer in my Stateroom Box deck plan. :cool:

RYdhahS.png

It's there in the corner between the stove and the outer bulkhead behind the privacy curtain.
Just another (rarely mentioned) feature that comes with the common area (galley, laundry, lounge) facilities.

Again, the "buy and install a ton of machinery to fix the air system" bit seems a lot more reasonable when GDW has given the players several extra tons of interior space to work with. I'd just say that the official-issue filters are low-quality -- and they're what you get if you rely on the free life-support from Scout Bases. Pay your own life support costs and there's no problem.
I thought it was because there was no washer and dryer aboard. :)

Back