• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Flux Task System FOR T5!

I'm on a Babylon 5 kick, re-watching the entire series (and, man! what a show!), and I started browsing through the first edition B5 rpg.

I noticed its task system. It's based on Flux!

Difficulty is thus...

Trival 2+
Easy 3+
Basic 5+

Average 7+
Tricky 9+
Difficult 11+

Very Difficult 15+
Next to Impossible 17+
Miraculous 25+

In order to test a task, you have to find the character's Ability.

Ability = Sum of Attribute + Skill + Specialty + modifiers.

For example, Jessica is working on a reactor circuitry. She has INTelligence 5. Engineering: Electrical 3. A Specialty in Electrical Applications (adds +2 to Ability).

There are no other modifiers on the this task, so this gives Jessica Ability 10.

5 + 3 + 2 = 10

Looking at the difficulty chart, Jessica is experienced enough to take on Tricky difficulty tasks.

RANDOM ELEMENT IS FLUX

How is a random element added to the test? The system uses Flux (although it's not called Flux in the rules, it's the same dice roll).

Roll 2d6 of different colors. Designate one a positive die and one a negative die. Roll them and add the results together, getting a modifier of -5 to +5.

Then, simply add this to the character's Ability to see if the task succeeds.

Jessica has Ability 10. The Pos die rolls 5. The Neg die rolls 3. That means Jessica's adjusted ability for the task is Ability +2, or 12.

This means that Jessica succeeds on any task that has a Difficulty of DIFFICULT or lower, and Jessica would fail a task that was rated Very Difficult or higher.

PART II: SPECIAL RESULTS

You can measure failure or success with this system, if you want.

Critical Failure = Roll fails by 6+
Significant Failure = Roll fails by 4-5
Normal Failure = Roll fails by 2-3
Marginal Failure = Roll fails by 1

Marginal Success = Roll made by 0-1
Normal Success = Roll made by 2-3
Significant Success = Roll made by 4-5
Critical Success = Roll made by 6+

SNAKE EYES = SETBACK

A Setback is something minor and unexpected that occurs to hamper the character's success.

For example, let's say that the PC has engaged a diplomat in conversation at a state function, where the PC is trying to obtain a permit to leave the planet. A Setback could be an attractive young woman that has captured the diplomat's attention, making it very hard (or harder) for the PC to keep the diplomat's attention long enough to obtain the permit he needs.

Another Setback idea might be a PC in a starport tavern speaking with an NPC about how to secure an illegal cargo. The setback could be a competing crew overhearing the negotiation.

In combat, a setback could mean a weapon jam or mis-fire. Smoke or sweat or light in the attacker's eyes. Maybe a mis-step, making the attack difficulty harder.

When sneaking around, a Setback could be the PC's radio suddenly crackling with static. I remember that scene in Return of the Jedi where Han, on Endor, is sneaking up on the Scout Trooper and steps on a twig, alerting the Trooper to his presence. That could be considered a Setback.

BOXCARS = BENEFIT

The opposite of a Setback is a Benefit. Again, this is a minor thing that happens that helps the PC rolling the task.

When sneaking up on a guard, the guard starts sneezing. His attention is temporarily reduced, making the sneak attempt easier.

A thief is looking to steal credits at a tapcafe. Suddenly, there is a ground car crash in the street. The patrons of the tapcafe all look towards the horrible scene outside the tabcafe. And, the PC thief notices that one of the patrons absent-mindedly left his wallet on a table behind him.

In combat, a target lines up so that the PC gets the benefit of Aiming without having to take an extra combat round.

When looking for tracks in a wind-swept desert, the PC sees a glitter in the sand. Investigation, he finds a bit of metal, giving him a direction. "Look sir! Droids!"

THE FLUX SYSTEM AND T5!

As I read about this system, I kept thinking about how it would be a GREAT system for T5. It's a hell of a lot easier to use than T5's system, so it would bring a lot of (much needed, imo) simplicity to T5's system.

It's a higher-is-better system, so that will please many people.

It only uses two d6 dice.

Target numbers can be kept secret from the players (which I think is a very good thing, sometimes).

And, most aspects of T5 can be modified easily to work with this system. T5's skills and attributes would easily work together to create a character's Ability. What a person would have to do is figure out the difficulty numbers--those may need to change given T5's skills and attribute ranges.

The Flux Task System may be an answer to an Improved T5 game.

Mathematically, it's identical to add 7 to the TN and roll Stat+Skill+Specialty+Modifiers+2d6.

Mathematically, it's identical to add 7 to the TN and roll Stat+Skill+Specialty+Modifiers+2d6.

I think I'm that one that system originally...

Maybe not. I forget.

But...

It uses some scary numbers. The Flux system, doesn't.

Some work would have to be done on the Difficulty chart, as I state above. I'm thinking it could be made more simple. Like 5+, 10+, 15+, and just have three difficulties (Easy, Average, Hard).

Or....you could work out the equivalents to the Difficulties already used in T5.

Another way to look at a difficulty chart to take Stat 7, Skill 3 (for Ability 10). How often should that average Joe succeed on X task? 50%? 90%? Adjust difficulty numbers along those lines.

Last edited:
I'm partial to using just three Difficulty categories: Easy, Average, Hard.

Easy 5+

Average 10+

Hard 15+

Then, for certain tasks, if needed, modifiers could be used to adjust difficulty.

Modifiers are + or - a number, with the number range 1-5.

So, for the most of the time, an Average task means 10+. But, there are +2 Average tasks, and there are -3 Average tasks (meaning 12+ and 7+, respectively).

Those are special cases, in the task description, for reasons.

Firing a weapon at Short Range could be an Easy task.

Firing a weapon at Medium Range could be an Average task.

Firing a weapon at Long Range could be a Hard task.

You can use the T5 range numbers as task modifiers.

So, a target at Very Short Range is a +1 Easy Task (6+ required to hit).

A target at Short Range is a +2 Easy Task (8+ required to hit).

A target at Medium Range is a +3 Average Task (13+ required to hit).

A target at Long Range is a +4 Hard Task (19+ required to hit).

I'm not working up any math here. I'm just speculating and thinking out loud how the system might work.

Continuing to look at the 1E B5 system (before the game went the way of d20), I see it's quite a well thought out game system.

Two second combat rounds!

That's at little too short. It lets characters pull their weapons from their holsters on a round, and that's it. But, if this is game-mastered well, it could be quite exciting.

The hit location system is very cool, based on the quality of the throw and the target point on the defender. Marginally successful shots will stray. If you throw high above your to-hit number, then you can do extra damage. Each location has damage points.

Instead of adapting B5 to T5, it might be a smarter move to leave the very well designed B5 system intact, and adapt T5 to B5 for tasks and combat.

TRAVELLER: THE NEW ERA

Another system that I think will do a good job, integrated into T5, is the TNE system. Though, it is more dicey than the B5 system (of the two, I think I'd go with B5 system when playing T5), the TNE system is a Traveller system that is also well thought out--and one that I think would work well with T5 characters (with little modification).

BRAWLING

I've been thinking that T5 (either version) doesn't have a good melee system. This Flux System could provide for a quick, detailed, very intuitive hand to hand combat system for the game.

Joe
Fighting-3, Brawling-1
Ability = 11

Milo
865A42
Fighting-4, Brawling-2
Ability = 14

Joe is pissed at Milo, and he throws a punch.
Throw Flux, get +3.

Joe's attack is 14

Now, Milo must counter. He can block, or he can block and attack himself. It's the same task.

Target is Joe's attack. In this case, it is 14+. If Milo throws 14+, then he counters Joe's blow (no damage) and makes an attack himself.

Milo throws an attack, which is Flux, getting +5.
Milo's attack is 19.

Milo counters Joe's attack (since he threw higher than 14), and he landed an attack himself for 19.

Round two, Joe must counter for 19+ or suffer damage.

Joe rolls Flux and gets a -2.
Joe's counter is 10.

Therefore, Joe does not counter Milo's attack, and now takes damage.

The system keeps its flow, though. Each attack must be countered, even if the character didn't counter his own blow. With this system, it is possible to not block an incoming blow but still make another attack (if the character is still standing).

So, at the bottom of round 2, Milo rolls Flux, looking to counter 10+.

Milo's Flux is +1.
Milo's attack is 15.

Milo did counter Joe's attack and made his own.

And so on....

Until someone drops (with one stat at zero) or a character pull out of the fight.

I really like this system for Brawling.

1. It is very quick. It'll make for very cinematic scenes.

2. It favors Stat and Skill. A big guy has an advantage over a small guy, and this system shows that. Also, a character skilled in hand-to-hand combat has a vast advantage over a non-trained character. Again, this system reflects that.

3. You can implement interesting actions to the fight with Benefits and Setbacks. A benefit could be an opening to throw your opponent to the ground with your next attack, instead of a punch. A Setback could be a punch that takes your breath away, giving you a negative modifier equal to your opponent's skill rating, for one round. Another Setback for the attack could be that he takes damage with his blocking move--nonlethal damage.

MORE SOPHISTICATED BRAWLING

Going a step further with this, you could introduce multiple actions. An action counts as 1 second of time. To throw one punch is 1 second. To counter a blow is 1 second. To both block an incoming blow and retaliate with a punch is two seconds.

To pull a knife for a sheet on your belt is one second. To use the knife to strike is one second.

For every second, after the first, subtract -1 from the character's Ability.

For example, let's say Joe, from the above Brawling example, decides to block Milo's incoming blow (last we saw Joe had a 15+ target number to beat), pull his knife from it sheath on his hip, and swipe at Milo twice.

This is 4 actions: block, pull, jab, jab.
This is a 4 second maneuver. You get the first action for free, which means that Joe is -3 on all actions to pull this off.

Remember...

Joe's Ability is 11.

Milo's Ability is 14.

If Joe is to pull off the 4 actions (block, pull, jab, jab), then he is -3, or considered Ability 8, for all actions.

Joe will roll Flux with Ability 8, looking for 15+ to block Milo's blow.

Joe will then pull his knife. Maybe the Ref will call for a DEX stat check on this? 2D for DEX or less, or the knife slips out of his hands?

Joe will then roll Flux with Ability 8 for his knife attack.

Joe will then roll a second time Flux, with Ability 8, for his second knife attack.

And, Joe will take the higher of the two rolls to be his attack number against Milo.

Continuing the example from above...

Milo's last attack was at 15.

Joe decides to do the 4 actions I just described.

Joe is then considered Ability 8 for all Flux checks this round.

....to block Milo's incoming 15+ blow, Flux is 0. So Milo's attack hits. Do damage now.

If Joe is still standing, he can continue.

...he pulls his knife.

...he attacks with knife. Flux is +3. Attack is 11.

...he attacks with knife. Flux is -2. Attack is 6.

Therefore, Joe's knife attack is at 11.

A person can block another with a knife, but the other has an advantage. Give Milo a -2 Ability modifier because he is fighting bare fisted.

Milo will block Joe's incoming Knife attack and take three HTH swings. That's a 4 second maneuver, which means Milo is -3 Ability. Plus the -2 Ability because Joe has a knife, means Milo is -5 Ability.

Milo is Ability 14 - 5 = 9 for each maneuver.

Flux on the block is +3. Milo has 12 vs. Joe's knife attack of 11. The attack is blocked.

Flux on swing 1 is -3.
Flux on swing 2 is 0.
Flux on swing 3 is -3.

Milo's attack is 9.

And so on.

Fire Combat

This would work a little differently than melee, shown above.

You still figure the attacker's Ability and then throw Flux for an attack throw.

Your Difficulty number is created by Range. I'm thinking 7 + Range Number.

I don't think I'd worry about target size, unless the target is really big or really small. But, if you want, you can use T5's Range Modifier of Size - Range Number.

You can use the multiple action rule above, which decreases ability by -1 for every one second action. So, if a character wants to squeeze off all six shots of his revolver, he can do so, at a -5 Ability per shot (effect of snap shots and recoil).

Aiming increases Ability.

AutoFire increases the number of attacks, depending on the burst, to a minimum of two attacks. Consider it one attack for every three bullets fired. Each attack costs -1 Ability due to recoil.

So, a three shot burst would net no Ability decrease and two attacks.

Two bursts would fire six bullets total, with a -1 Ability decrease and three attacks.

Three bursts would fire nine bullets, with a -2 Ability, and four attacks.

And so on.

As with Melee, you only take the highest attack for the round to see if you hit.

It's also easy to put situational modifiers on a character.

Use half or quarter ability.

If you sneak up behind a guard successfully, he should be at half Ability that first round.

If you really catch a person unaware, then use Quarter Ability that round.

Back