• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Game System Used/Preferred

Game System Used

• Total voters
Originally posted by Jame:
It's not wrong, Mark, but it hasn't been done yet. When or if a Savage Worlds version of Our Favorite Game is made, I'll consider it legitimate.
FWIW there are at least conversions of the major races and some jump drive notes for Savage Worlds on the yahoo group, and running a game in the OTU wouldn't be that difficult IMO, SW is pretty generic ala Gurps etc.

Then again I guess a lot of it depends on what exactly is a "Traveller" game. :rolleyes: That's probably another topic though. ;)

Casey

1. If the conversion is a fully licensed one such as GURPS or T20, it's fully legitimate.

2. I'm talking officially licensed game systems here, but if you convert, that's fine. There are too many different definitions for "what is a Traveller game" to make a poll out of. But if you want to try, go ahead!

Originally posted by thrash:
So, of the people who are currently playing t20, at least 60% (15/25 as of this post) would rather be playing some other version? Interesting.
Could be that some don't care which version, as long as it's Traveller

Originally posted by Sandman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thrash:
So, of the people who are currently playing t20, at least 60% (15/25 as of this post) would rather be playing some other version? Interesting.
Could be that some don't care which version, as long as it's Traveller
</font>[/QUOTE]Yeah it's always nice to have Don't Care, Other, and Pudding options in an online poll. ;)

Casey

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I didn't really see many posts saying they would rather play another version other then T20 (those who are playing T20). I saw a lot of posts from folks who say they prefer CT over T20, but then the poll voting itself reflects that CT and T20 are pretty much in a dead heat.

Hunter

I think some of that is that each Traveller setting is entangled with the rules system it was published under. I myself like playing in the Classic Traveller era, but I like using the T20 rules to do it.

Perhaps with the publication of more Traveller settings from QuikLink the T20 system will become more popular in terms of 'prefer to play'. Then again, there do seem to be a few grognards who play T20 because that is how they conned <ahem> I mean convinced their current RP buddies to take up traveller.

You may prefer one system, but if you're playing another you must like it as well. All I asked was (1.) What are you playing, regardless of what you prefer, and (2.) what do you prefer, regardless of what you play?

Maybe, in a few months, I'll go back and make another version of this poll with an "other" option...

On the other end of things, there are 10 who say they're playing Megatraveller, and 18 who prefer it.

The only game systems where 'number of people preferring it' is less than 'number of people playing it' are T4 and T20. CT and Megatraveller, which are very similar systems, account for 63% of the vote for 'preferred'.

Which mostly suggests that T5, if it comes out, should probably be a 2d6-based system. It also suggests that T20 either attracts new players (who probably wouldn't show up here), or is run by GMs in the (possibly false) hope that it will attract new players.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hunter:
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I didn't really see many posts saying they would rather play another version other then T20 (those who are playing T20).
Pretty simple: there are now 26 responders who say they are using t20, versus 11 responders who say they prefer t20. That logically leaves at least 15 (out of the 26) who say they are playing t20 but say they would prefer to play something else. There could be more, if some of the 11 who prefer it are actually playing something other than t20 right now.

It's the biggest discrepency in the poll, which is why I noticed.
</font>[/QUOTE]That'll teach me to open the damn poll window bigger next time. I completely missed the 2nd half of the poll!

Hunter

BTW, GRIP Traveller isn't a specific version of Traveller. It is a tool for playing Traveller online.

Hunter

Now you tell me! Anyway, since there was a Traveller-specific (or so I heard) version of GRIP, I'd rather keep the option up there - even if no-one likes or uses it.

well i think it is an interesting sample taken. Yet I am anxoiusly awaiting T5.

I like the setting that GURPS fleshes out...(I started with TNE and HATE Virus, got a full set of T4 to use and it used me back...)
The thought of CT without rebellion and virus continuing makes me warm and fuzzy...(So many worlds to raid, so little time)

So I use T4 but prefer CT and sprinkle whatever I can find..Gurps, Reprints, D20, whatever it takes to flesh out my T4 rules...
Will there REALLY be a T5??
-MADDog

I wish I could vote on this, but I have just "rediscovered" Traveller after only seeing for the first time over 15 years ago. Even then I was interseted, but due to my back-water location in the US, getting into it was difficult to do.

Now I wish to dig in to the game, but I am not sure which version I should get may hands on. Right now, I see that I can grab the T20 version from RPG, but I also found a site that is supposed to be offering the CT.

Can you all help out a newbie, and provide some initial advice on the best way to start up.

PS: I did check out the RPG version of the T20 Lite, and that has helped get me more interested...

Danke

Originally posted by thedog:
I wish I could vote on this, but I have just "rediscovered" Traveller after only seeing for the first time over 15 years ago. Even then I was interseted, but due to my back-water location in the US, getting into it was difficult to do.

Now I wish to dig in to the game, but I am not sure which version I should get may hands on. Right now, I see that I can grab the T20 version from RPG, but I also found a site that is supposed to be offering the CT.

Can you all help out a newbie, and provide some initial advice on the best way to start up.

PS: I did check out the RPG version of the T20 Lite, and that has helped get me more interested...

Danke
You can get all of the CT reprints from Marc's site http://www.FarFuture.net or our own Traveller Store http://www.TravellerRPG.com/Store

There is also the GURPS version of Traveller, http://www.SJGames.com/gurps/traveller

Hunter

I use the Mileu 0 setting with a lot of the rules and added realism of CT/Megatraveller. I actually LIKE the T4 task system, which is an unpopular viewpoint. I would actually be interested in seeing what problems people have had with the T4 task system..it really seems to make sense to me and seems to add some interesting uncertainity realism.

As a general comment. A lot of the supplements, posts, websites devoted to traveller seem to have systems engineers heavily in mind. Lets face it, ship plans, sector mapping etc seem to be a favorite traveller hobby. I would like to see more emphasis on true RPGing as opposed to fleet actions, systems engineering etc. Just thought I would throw a conversation seed out there.
Tai

My group uses the T4 task system as well. I like it fine, since it seems to make sense the way we've integrated it into our CT game.

Truth be told, I use MT, with T4 Psionics, TNE Contacts, draft T20 T&C rules, and homegrown adaptations fo the vehicle combat rules to starship use based upon mayday.

I pull adventures from CT.

I have no use for GT at all. I don't even enjoy reading it.

Risus Traveller, Fudge Traveller, CORPS-Traveller: Haven't tried these yet.

WOD-Traveller aka Storyteller Traveller: Cowrote this one. STILL INCOMPLETE, after all these years!

EABA-Traveller: Hastily did that to playtest EABA... it worked, quite nicely, for a Q&D hack. Now that STUFF! is nearing completion, it might be readily doable.

T20: I playtested it. I've run it. It's a second choice for me; If the only way I can get the group to play traveller is to use T20, sure, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

2300-Traveller: I've occasionally used the 2300 rules for Traveller games. MT hardware rules. I used to have aa kludge for damages....

Back