• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: GRAVITY! ...And the M-Drive...and Man...and Worlds.

Nothing backhanded about it. Your assumptions simply do not match some of the assumptions baked into the later editions, and thus the OTU.

Nope, don't match because I'm looking at it from strictly a CT point of view....the CT OTU. The rules change in other versions of the rules (and I'd probably change assumptions based on those rules if I used those rule sets).

It seems to me, that if you look at everything Traveller by every addition, then there are a lot problems with the details as there are a lot of changes between rule sets.

How can the OTU be anything but defined only by one rule set? There's the CT version of the OTU, the MT version of the OTU, the TNE version...etc.

But...I really don't want to get into a discussion about what constitutes the OTU.

What counts is what you use for your ATU, and any clever bits you can share that helps us with our ATUs that is within shouting distance of the rules.

Only reason I argue about rules given the above ethos is that you have to understand why a rule was there and the interrelated parts you are monkeying with before you go ATU things.

Cause, players.

I'm looking through T5 for something else, but I see that the idea is carried through to that edition of the game.

Page 364: If the Drive cannot produce acceleration equal to local gravity, the ship impacts on the surface at Speed=13.
It's an artifact of the use of integer-only drive specs (and unrelated ship design system quirks). A 1-G drive could really be 0.9G or 1.2G if the math were not truncated. It would pay to get a slightly larger engine. Streamlined craft should be well able to slow to a safe velocity using drives and use aerobraking and flaring to supplement the drives for a safe landing.

Yes, landing with an under-powered maneuver drive would be damaging with a non-streamlined hull.. But skimming should not depend on maneuver drive rating. Skimming is primarily based on velocity, not power. Power would only limit how much drag resistance the ship can handle without loosing velocity. It takes more lower pressure passes with a lower rated drive to get the same amount of fuel. The size and configuration of the scoop would be dictated by the hull design and the drive power.

What counts is what you use for your ATU, and any clever bits you can share that helps us with our ATUs that is within shouting distance of the rules.

Only reason I argue about rules given the above ethos is that you have to understand why a rule was there and the interrelated parts you are monkeying with before you go ATU things.

Cause, players.

Just to be clear, I haven't gone ATU. I'm reporting what the CT rules say (rules from different CT sources). It's OTU, from the CT perspective.

I'm looking through T5 for something else, but I see that the idea is carried through to that edition of the game.

Page 364: If the Drive cannot produce acceleration equal to local gravity, the ship impacts on the surface at Speed=13.

Yes, but remember that in T5 that in addition to G-Drive, M-Drive, and HEPlaR Drives of various ratings, there is also the "Lifter" (Z-Drive), which is actually a Hull Fitting. The Lifter negates gravity and allows the ship to rise, and is independent of the Maneuvering Drive.

T5.09, p.280:

Z LIFTERS
Lifters are anti-gravity modules which effectively negate the force of gravity. Lifters are a hull component; they draw minimal levels of energy from a power source. Lifters operate within 1D of a gravity source; beyond that limit they operate at about 1% efficiency.

Performance. Lifter performance is minimal and related to the gravity source. A Lifter effectively negates gravity and is able transform some of its lift into sidewise motion. Lifters are a backup motion provider primarily used to adjust location on a world surface. Lifters can raise a ship off the ground before engaging maneuver or gravitic drive.

I maintain we all have ATUs, even those that are putative OTU.

Yeah, I'm not much for OTU conversations. They're silly, me thinks.

Traveller has various sets of rules, and they all conflict here and there. The rule sets conflict internally, too.

I figure there's two ways to look at an "Official Traveller Universe". You either accept that there are different versions of the OTU, each looked at through the lens of each specific rule set. Or, you accept that the OTU is only the things that all rule sets accept (like one week in Jump, regardless of distance jumped, with jump drives making about 1 parsec per jump rating).

Just to be clear, I haven't gone ATU. I'm reporting what the CT rules say (rules from different CT sources). It's OTU, from the CT perspective.

Bk 1-3 RAW aren't the OTU... in many ways, they are counter to the OTU. The OTU grows from Bk 4 fluff and Bk5 ship design, as well as the adventures and JTAS.

There really is no OTU without later materials. Any pure Bk 1-3 TU is axiomatically and emphatically not the OTU. For the OTU has huge ships and megacorps everywhere... And no 200Td J3 TL 9 ships...

Unlike a puke Bk2 game. Where you can get a J4 200 Td by overcrowding the staterooms, under CT77 (because a Model 3 can run Jump 4), and J3 under CT-81 (because you can't do J4 until TL 10 due to the Model 4 requirement).

Code:
200 Td Hull
_20 Bridge
_25 JD D=4
_13 PP D=4
__1 MD A=1
__3 Model 3
_80 JFuel 1J4
_40 PFuel 4 Weeks
_16 SR x4 for 5 crew PNEEM
__2 turrets x2

Last edited:
If this is a 77 design there is a flaw - your pp is too big. The pp in 77 edition has to match or better only the m-drive. This saves you drive and fuel tonnage and cuts an engineer. You can also get away with a 2bis computer. If it's an '81 design it is broken as the computer needs to be a model 4 :)
Code:
200 Td Hull
_20 Bridge
_25 JD D=4
_13 PP D=4
__1 MD A=1
__3 Model 3
_80 JFuel 1J4
_40 PFuel 4 Weeks
_16 SR x4 for 5 crew PNEEM
__2 turrets x2

Code:
200 Td Hull
_20 Bridge
_25 JD D=4
__4 PP A=1
__1 MD A=1
__2 Model 2bis
_80 JFuel 1J4
_10 PFuel 4 Weeks
_16 SR x4 for 4 crew PNEM
__2 turrets x2
160t total
Jump 5 is doable - 25t for the upgraded jump, 4t for the extra engineer

Last edited:
If this is a 77 design there is a flaw - your pp is too big. The pp in 77 edition has to match or better only the m-drive. This saves you drive and fuel tonnage and cuts an engineer. You can also get away with a 2bis computer. If it's an '81 design it is broken as the computer needs to be a model 4 :)

Code:
200 Td Hull
_20 Bridge
_25 JD D=4
__4 PP A=1
__1 MD A=1
__2 Model 2bis
_80 JFuel 1J4
_10 PFuel 4 Weeks
_16 SR x4 for 4 crew PNEM
__2 turrets x2
160t total
Jump 5 is doable - 25t for the upgraded jump, 4t for the extra engineer

Good catch...

I figure there's two ways to look at an "Official Traveller Universe". You either accept that there are different versions of the OTU, each looked at through the lens of each specific rule set. Or, you accept that the OTU is only the things that all rule sets accept (like one week in Jump, regardless of distance jumped, with jump drives making about 1 parsec per jump rating).

New acronym: MIOTU

My interpretation of the Official Traveller Universe.

:D

Back