• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

GT:IW and Book 3 World Generation

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
Good Morning, All,

In reviewing the GT:IW world generation process, I have made the following table in regards to world types and the standard world generation methods.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Code Size Atm Hyd Pop Gov Law Definition
As 0 0 0 - - - Asteroid Belt
Ba 1-4 0 0 - - - Barren
De 3-6 0-3,A-B 0 - - - Desert
Ga 5-9 2-9 - - - - Garden
Gl 4-9 A-B 0-2 - - - Glacier
Gr 5-A B-C 0-5 - - - Greenhouse
Pg 5-9 A-B - - - - Pre-Garden
Sg 8-A A-B - - - - Subgiant</pre>[/QUOTE]Observations:

Using GT:IW, you should never get a world of size 3 or smaller with an atmosphere. Size 4 worlds may have an atmosphere of 0-3 or A-B. Sizes 5-9 can have the full range of atmosphere types (up to C, that is.) Size A is limited to type A or higher atmospheres.

Also, you'll never get Hydrographics on a world of size 3 or smaller. Size 4 worlds may have a Hydrographics rating of up to 2. Larger worlds may run the gamut of Hyrdographic ratings.

Using This In Standard World Generation Methods:

The above observations would translate fairly straightforwardly as limits on generated UWP output.

Atmosphere:
If Size 3-, then Atm = 0.
If Size 4, then Atm <= 3.
If Size 5-9, then no limits.
If Size A, then Atm >= A.

Hydrographics:
If Size 3-, then Hyd = 0.
If Size 4, then Hyd <= 2.
If Size 5+, then no limits based on size.
If Atm = 0, then Hyd = 0.
If Atm = A-B and Size 4-9, then DM-2.
If Atm = B and Size = A, then DM-5.
If Atm = C, then DM-5.

Enjoy,
Flynn

Flynn,

Superb, consider that stolen!

I can't find it on my hard drive and I can't seem to dredge up the link either, but that looks very much like Constantine Thomas' suggestions viz updating LBB:3.

That being said, I like it and like GT:IW. System generation in Traveller is so badly broken that an update should occur. We have too many worlds with impossible atmo/hydro-spheres and implausible populations circling improbable stars.

I wouldn't tackle how a stellar system's components are arranged, all those extra-solar, Jupiter-plus sized gas giants orbiting closer than Mercury show we don't have a good handle on that aspect of things, but straight forward physics shows that small bodies aren't going to hang on to appreciable atmo/hydro-spheres over geological time periods.

Sure, you can rope in all sorts of exceptions like Grandfather. However, having hundreds of such exceptions per sector is suspender snapping to say the very least.

I might just take your new sysgen If/Then statements and rework the entire Marches. Start with the canonical sizes and regenerate all the atmo/hydro numbers.

Have fun,
Bill

Why not just change the sizes to fit the atmosphere and hydrographics? Except for the 100d limit it would make less of an impact on any campaign you might be running. Players are more likely to notice that the air has vanished and all the wells have dried up than the horizon has got further away

Originally posted by ChrisR:
Why not just change the sizes to fit the atmosphere and hydrographics? Except for the 100d limit it would make less of an impact on any campaign you might be running. Players are more likely to notice that the air has vanished and all the wells have dried up than the horizon has got further away
"Yeah, some thumb-digited stenobot at the IGS entered a one instead of a seven for the planetary diameter - happens quite a bit, I hear. I guess with 11,000 worlds, mistakes like that are bound to show up here and there."

Originally posted by ChrisR:
Why not just change the sizes to fit the atmosphere and hydrographics? Except for the 100d limit it would make less of an impact on any campaign you might be running. Players are more likely to notice that the air has vanished and all the wells have dried up than the horizon has got further away :)
Chris,

If I were currently running a campaign that is exactly what I would do. Sadly, I'm not currently running one. :(

OTOH, not having an active campaign lets me fool around with the more basic aspects of the setting. :)

I'd like to see what the Marches would look lke with more 'accurate' atmo/hydro-spheres. After 'adjusting' those, I'm thinking about 'adjusting' populations too with Chris Thrash's MSRP ideas.

A less heavily populated universe has become more and more attractive to me over the years. I've been puttering around with the idea of limiting shirt-sleeve worlds to 1 or 2 per subsector and having those worlds be the only ones with populations over ~1 million or so. As for worlds that require habitats, as the 'Three Generation' rule seems correct to me.

It's just another excuse to play with Traveller I suppose!

Have fun,
Bill

Originally posted by Flynn:
Good Morning, All,

In reviewing the GT:IW world generation process, I have made the following table in regards to world types and the standard world generation methods.

(snip)

The above observations would translate fairly straightforwardly as limits on generated UWP output.

Atmosphere:

(snip)

Enjoy,
Flynn
Problem: These size limits still don't reflect the real Terran solar system.

Titan is a Size 3 world with an Atmosphere of B and maybe a hydro of 1 (Methane lakes ).

Several other moons of size 2 and 3 have at least Trace Atmospheres (Triton, Io etc). So there must be some provision for these atmospheres to exist in certain, relatively rare circumstances. I suggest that the above size/atmo limits stay, but leave the 12+ (10+ in Outer Zone) roll for a Type B atmosphere (Type A in Habitable Zone).

Nice catch, there, Plankowner.

I'm just reporting what the GT:IW system generates, in case it proves of interest to those that want to reflect similar UWPs using a more classic system.

Thanks for the feedback, though. It helps put things like this in perspective with reality.

Getting Back To Work,
Flynn

Originally posted by Plankowner:

Titan is a Size 3 world with an Atmosphere of B and maybe a hydro of 1 (Methane lakes ).

Several other moons of size 2 and 3 have at least Trace Atmospheres (Triton, Io etc).
Those limits are really for the life zone, which is where most worlds of interest will be. GURPS Space goes into more detail about worlds outside the life zone.

Flynn: Sorry if it came across that I was picking on you. I was just trying to comment on the system being presented. I realize that you were only the messenger.

Anthony: Thanks for the clarification. I think this addresses the issue.

(going back to sleep now, work is no fun...)

Originally posted by Plankowner:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flynn:
Good Morning, All,

(snip)

Atmosphere:

(snip)

Enjoy,
Flynn

Several other moons of size 2 and 3 have at least Trace Atmospheres (Triton, Io etc). So there must be some provision for these atmospheres to exist in certain, relatively rare circumstances. I suggest that the above size/atmo limits stay, but leave the 12+ (10+ in Outer Zone) roll for a Type B atmosphere (Type A in Habitable Zone).
</font>[/QUOTE]Latest pictures I've seem have Titan looking something like Dune. There are sand dunes on Titan, the only question is what this sand is really made out of. Probably some kind of ice. They say Titan is half water ice by composition. If someone wanted to refuel their spaceship on a Titanlike world, they can start by digging into the dirt and melting it to feed their fuel proceaaorzs.

Back