• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: Help building a taco truck spaceship?

This is part of the continuing charm of CotI. Where else are you going to get a gaming stat like that worked out?

Assuming 1000kg per dton, that's 1kg or roughly 2 lbs. per taco. Even with wrapping and refrigeration kicked in, that's still a 1lb taco. Better charge more per taco.

You missed a number. A dton is 13.5 cubic meters, and so holds 13,500 tacos.

A kilo of tacos is normally called a small party tray...

If the number and popularity of taco trucks in my neighborhood is any indicator, I’d say the OP is on to something.

<Shrug> I'm jst going by the RAW in the versions I know. Very reasonable real world cases for rapid commodification and miniaturization, but it ain't built into our game, and even the T4/MgT device dev rules didn't capture that. Maybe T5 does.

But TL as we know it would be quite different IMO if exponential cost drops occur, not to mention trade.

Assuming 1000kg per dton, that's 1kg or roughly 2 lbs. per taco. Even with wrapping and refrigeration kicked in, that's still a 1lb taco. Better charge more per taco....
Assuming down times, crew off days and business vs. functional weekend days, if you do 21 days of business a month that would be Cr21000 per ton.

Course you have to able to move 1000 tacos a day, or multiples thereof.
1 lb per taco? That's more of a large burrito. Or, that might include the obligatory chips and salsa as well -- a medium beverage adds half a kg.

1 lb per taco? That's more of a large burrito. Or, that might include the obligatory chips and salsa as well -- a medium beverage adds half a kg.

That depends on the size of a medium drink. Some places it's 20 oz, some it's 32...

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's ideas and comments on if this is really possible. I guess it just really depends on what you pay per taco.

That depends on the size of a medium drink. Some places it's 20 oz, some it's 32...

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's ideas and comments on if this is really possible. I guess it just really depends on what you pay per taco.

Ya, the fun part is we have all sorts of crazy arguments about radioactives and weapons and other high value cargo and various business models of piracy/merc/trading, etc., so it's fun to go at something like tacos with the same gearheaded wonkyness.

Wouldn't coffee be more profitable than tacos in the Imperium? :cool:
Why assume coffee? For all we know, energy drinks could be the big thing many people drink.

Tacos are certainly more filling I'd say.

Regarding this idea, what is there in Traveller on meat or vegetables?

"Trade you my 'ham slice and mac-and-cheese' MRE for your 'lutefisk and kimchi' one. Northamericani food is weird."

I recall one dungeons and dragons adventure where the party had to investigate the source of a local tavern's plentiful supply of dragon steak.

I think it turned out to be a regenerating purple worm,

I recall one dungeons and dragons adventure where the party had to investigate the source of a local tavern's plentiful supply of dragon steak.

I think it turned out to be a regenerating purple worm,
There's a 5e & Pathfinder 3rd party setting about a city that captured a tarrasque and makes a living chopping stuff out of it, while it regrows to provide a renewable source of items and food.

I can see a taco truck spaceship working on a world where food is available in one area but not so much in another. The spaceship loads up in the morning/overnight where food is available, heads quickly to the other place - far distant on the world, or perhaps a moon (or to the mainworld if food only grows on one of its moons) and serves up hot & fresh food. (Going to another nearby world might work too, but you'd need high Thrust to get there and back within a single day, not to mention spend some hours at each end serving & loading food.)

Doubtless there would be grocery stores and restaurants in this case. The taco truck's edge would be freshness of produce.

Depends on how far you want to enculturate it.

Coffee houses used to be meeting places for men to discuss business, art, politics, possibly sport and who their current mistress was.

I believe their wives tried to petition to ban them.

By contrast, tea culture seems both more laid back, yet tries to adhere to any number of customs and traditions.

Back