• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

HGS v1.20 released

AndreaV

SOC-13
Well version 1.20 is ready. At the moment its a beta, but if no errors are found in a month I'll call it a full release. There are some important (and subtle) changes in this version. As per usual the new version can be found at http://www.downport.com/amv/software/hgs.html, on the CT-Starships mailing list, and on the COTI boards

* The squadron designer and ship designer are now a single app. TCS.exe is obsolete

* Changes to the format of the tcs files means that older ones will not be readable. If you open old files and add eight comma separated zeroes to the first line it should open. But the change to absolute file paths will mean it won't read the ships. So pretty much its start again from scratch sorry.

* You can now edit a ship from the squadron designer and then refresh the squadron to reflect the changes. You may need to move the forms about to be able to switch between them. Be careful with this though, I've already found it easy to accidentally overwrite files with this function. Am working on making it more robust.

* There have been major improvements to the robustness of the squadron designer.

* There is a VERY subtle change to the way the squadron designer works out the cost of a ship. Unlike the ship designer, the squadron designer does not add the costs of the actual craft being carried, unless the craft is a vehicle. This means that you need to add all subordinate craft to the squadron separately. If you also check the "carried craft" box, it will prevent the craft crew being counted twice (once as part of the carrier and once for itself)

* The squadron designer now reports more information, which should make it easier to use for TCS tournament and campaign games

I was going to add a splash screen asking people who find it useful to make a donation to help Loren Wiseman with his ongoing medical costs, but I've not received permission to do this from Marc yet. HOWEVER if you just happen to feel like going to paypal and sending loren@sjgames.com a donation it would be a good thing. Anything that helps him is a good thing

Last edited:
I just downloaded but the "About" screen says Version 1.2.0.16. Is that right for "Build 17"?

No, the about screen should have 1.2.0.17 under the bold "High Guard Shipyard" and above the three url links. I've checked all the three sites and they all have build 17. Can I ask which site you got it from (so I can put the correct build there).

Ran off a 150 ton Scout from Peter's shipyard from Paranoia Press concept. (Pete must have used old HGS too!)

Fairly easy and intuitive to run the program. No endless 'bloops' and INVALID of old HGS. Took a number of attempts to get it right on different components all user errors not HGS errors. Getting Turret right took trial and error but does show mixed turret correctly (switches to 4 turret format on some saves). For some reason I set it as 11 staterooms but it changes to 8.5 (Middle), using High didn't help and that increased crew to 4 (currently shows 3 but reduced it to 2 here manually and also corrected cabin number. HIGH GUARD version was invalid. It wanted a crew of 18 for a Scout, 11 in Command no less.

Text export worked fine except the bat/bat bearing lines print one space offset to right, easily fixed by moving USP one to right. Unknown if this is HGS or Notepad error, presumably the latter as COTI didn't align this either.

Ship: Yukikaze (Snowy Wind)
Class: Wind
Type: Scout
Architect: Peter Vernon
Tech Level: 14

USP
S-1422221-030000-20002-0 MCr 66.428 150 Tons
Bat Bear....... 1........ 1..... 1 Crew: 2
Bat............... 1........ 1..... 1 TL: 14

Cargo: 15 Passengers: 7 Fuel: 51 EP: 3 Agility: 1 Pulse Lasers
Craft: 1 x 5T Air raft
Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops and On Board Fuel Purification

Architects Fee: MCr 0.664 Cost in Quantity: MCr 53.142

Detailed Description
(High Guard Design)

HULL
150.000 tons standard, 2,100.000 cubic meters, Close Structure Configuration

CREW
Pilot, Medic, Gunner

ENGINEERING
Jump-2, 2G Manuever, Power plant-2, 3.000 EP, Agility 1

AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/2 Computer

HARDPOINTS
1 Hardpoint

ARMAMENT
1 Triple Mixed Turret with: 1 Pulse Laser (Factor-2), 1 Missile Rack (Factor-2).

DEFENCES
1 Sandcaster in the Mixed Turret, organized into 1 Battery (Factor-3)

CRAFT
1 5.000 ton Air raft (Crew of 0, Cost of MCr 0.000)

FUEL
51 Tons Fuel (3 parsecs jump and 56 days endurance)
On Board Fuel Scoops, On Board Fuel Purification Plant

MISCELLANEOUS
11 Staterooms, 7 Middle Passengers, 15 Tons Cargo

USER DEFINED COMPONENTS
None

COST
MCr 67.092 Singly (incl. Architects fees of MCr 0.664), MCr 53.142 in Quantity

CONSTRUCTION TIME
49 Weeks Singly, 39 Weeks in Quantity

COMMENTS

Last edited:
Thank you, I've just uploaded a new version (beta this time). However since I've just realized something like 10% of the code base has been altered in the past month, I'd appreciate a few people trying to break it for a bit.

For some reason I set it as 11 staterooms but it changes to 8.5 (Middle), using High didn't help and that increased crew to 4 (currently shows 3 but reduced it to 2 here manually and also corrected cabin number. HIGH GUARD version was invalid. It wanted a crew of 18 for a Scout, 11 in Command no less.

Was it set to book 2 crew rules on the main page? The 11 command is a requirement for book 5 crews, but any ship 1000 tons or less is allowed to use book 2 rules (HGS actually allows you to extend this to 5000)

Text export worked fine except the bat/bat bearing lines print one space offset to right, easily fixed by moving USP one to right. Unknown if this is HGS or Notepad error, presumably the latter as COTI didn't align this either.

Nope its a HGS error (or more omission). HGS assumes the ship code is always two characters and aligns accordingly. I keep meaning to change it, but keep forgetting.

I was experimenting, tried both settings....for the heck of it.

Was unable to do a Kinunir. Hull size problem. It wanted 1700-2000t hull.

Andrew, I got to give you credit for your program and thank you for allowing me the use of it in my latest drawings. From the view count, I see they are really enjoying it as much as I am.

thank you.

Thanks for the File!

Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in response. I got the file you sent and it works well and is the proper version. Don't know why the others gave me problems. I deeply appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to send it to me directly.

For all ... we owe many a thanks to Andrew for his HGS program. He is certainly a valuable asset to the Traveller community!

Thank you, despite the frequent frustration at it not working and the scale of it sometimes (we're hitting I think 70,000 LoC now) I actually enjoy writing it :)

Just downloaded and tested v17
Sadly, a few minor issues still

1) the Ship Card does not show any additional items in in the U category
2) if you try to close the app, and the save fails, the app still closes anyway - there should probably be a continue check there based upon the save flag
3) The Ship Card always produces a B5 ship card, even if T20 has been selected
4) The Help file cannot be opened in Windows 7 even after downloading the Micro$oft Help-32 application

Also, is there any real value in the Budget field? It's a pain to have to remember to set it to something meaningful to avoid the 'Invalid Design' warning

Otherwise, a nice quick system, thanx

Last edited:
Just downloaded and tested v17
Sadly, a few minor issues still

1) the Ship Card does not show any additional items in in the U category
2) if you try to close the app, and the save fails, the app still closes anyway - there should probably be a continue check there based upon the save flag
3) The Ship Card always produces a B5 ship card, even if T20 has been selected
4) The Help file cannot be opened in Windows 7 even after downloading the Micro$oft Help-32 application

Also, is there any real value in the Budget field? It's a pain to have to remember to set it to something meaningful to avoid the 'Invalid Design' warning

Otherwise, a nice quick system, thanx

Go to my site at downport, there you'll find the latest version (I can't remember the url off the top of my head, but think its in my blog usually). The save fail is a problem that's got a low priority at the moment but I am aware of it :) and the help files are due to be upgraded to xml eventually.

ETA
downport site url http://www.downport.com/amv/software/hgs.html and latest releases are 1.31.02 stable and 2.00.10 beta

Last edited:
Back