• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

House rules

I'm really tempted to decrease the lethality of critical hits some. Both doubling the number of damage dice and ignoring armor makes them ultra lethal. I can see ignoring armor vs. partial armor, but against combat armor I'm not sure that there really are "gaps". Doubling the damage is probably enough for me vs. complete armor.

Originally posted by DrSkull:
The only house rules I'm considering are to do with mustering out benefits. I'll probably up the value of a vehicle you can get for a vehicle muster out (5000 cr is pretty low, it means "Jeep and only Jeep") I might go as high as 50,000cr or even 100,000cr for a vehicle benefit. I might increase the value of a gun or weapon result too, depending on what you can buy with the current limit. I'll also monkey around with the ship results, so the players can club together on one ship rather than having a fleet.
I would go with a case by case basis on the vehicles, personally...perhaps the least expensive one of any utility that the character can pilot, but only allow them to cash it in for perhaps CR 5000 or CR 10,000 at most regardless of value. Otherwise, at CR 100,000, they can cash it in for 90% of value, and they are in effect getting a fourth cash mustering out roll.

Similar answer regarding firearms, although if memory serves, they are using similar if not the same values as CT/MT for firearms, which means that CR 1000 will get one an ACR. In fact, I think the opening short story in the T-20 book has the Army character having exactly that, she has an old ACR that she managed to muster out with. Then again I'd let a character muster out with a TL-9 laser weapon in CT/MT, so perhaps that isn't too far out of line.

As for ships, I always let players, even in CT/MT lump their ship results into one. Meant that they usually had a paid for ship, but it 40 or more years old, and looked it. Perhaps even smelled it.

I didn't think this worthy of a new topic, and I figured this is the closest to what thread makes sense, so I'm asking this here.

Anyway, my question is what skill cascade in T20 would you make photography? I was looking at the TAS Reporter prestige class, and was thinking that makingone who was a photojournalist would be interesting. I'm leaning toward calling it a craft skill, since it seems like that other artistic based skills have that bent, but could see it being a technical based skill also, at least when it comes to the darkroom, be it a TL 7- traditional "wet" darkroom, with an actual..well, dark room, chemicals and so forth, or a TL 8+ modern digital "darkroom". Perhaps I'm answering my own question here, and it's two skills, the craft being the taking of the pictures, technical being the processing of the prints/holocrystals/whatever is done at TL14 to TL15 to make an image. IMHO K/Photography would be more knowledge of famous photographers, and/or photographic equipment, but not how to take a good picture, or process the negative/digital medium/whatever into a print.

Anyway, any suggestions?

I'm pretty flexible.

k/Photography would be a text book understanding of lenses and refraction and paralax and light increments vs film speed. Without necessarily much skill in a dark room or being able to take a picture that doesn't cut off people's heads.

t/photography would be a professional developer or dedicated dark room genius who can do all kinds of 'gearhead' tricks with camera, negatives and even airbrushed finished photos but might lack the imagination or creativity to really elevate a given photograph to that nebulous place the pretentious people call 'art'

c/photography would be an intuititive camera user who can 'paint with light' but whose genius may or may not escape the dark room unscathed.

p/photography is the guy you WANT taking your passport photos, grad photo's and whom you hire to photograph your wedding instead of allowing cousin jerry to do it for free.

I'd allow all skills to exist... which cascade the player puts it under will just refine its.. um... focus.

Note on a 'crunchy bits' level, k and t are EDU based while C is int/dex, and P is wisdom.

The knowledge/Technical types rely on 'hard' 'left brained' types of skills.

The Craftsman is Intuitive with firm and clever hands.

The professional knows his limits and how to maximise them.

Originally posted by Arbitrary Aardvark:
I'm really tempted to decrease the lethality of critical hits some. Both doubling the number of damage dice and ignoring armor makes them ultra lethal. I can see ignoring armor vs. partial armor, but against combat armor I'm not sure that there really are "gaps". Doubling the damage is probably enough for me vs. complete armor.
The discussion going around my group at the moment is such:
Damage is reduced by armor as normal, then applied to Stamina. Critical hits do NOT double the dice, but ignore armor completely (but not size scaling) and A) are either applied directly to Lifeblood, or B) Applied to Stamina.
The first makes critical hits a killer, but allows a bit more survivability. The second allows even a bit more survivability.
I'm sure we'll be discussing this the rest of the week and weekend.

BLAST FROM THE PAST
I've developed a set of house rules for shotguns. The reason was that I have found very, very few rules that treat shotguns properly. I'm about to say something that may shock some of you, but will (hopefully) make sence once I explane myslef. Shotguns are one of the most accurate of all weapons! I know that right now a lot of people are thinking I must be crazy. Saying something like, "Shotguns are horribly inaccurate. They throw lead everywhere!" But wait - just what is accuracy in RPG? It is the ability to put a hole in your target. Whether it is a paper tartget, a moose, a duck, a flying clay target, or a man. A Shotgun is very good at this (there is a reason they issue shotguns to poorly trained troops). Sure you waist some of the lead, and you can't be sure you are only going to hit the tartget you are aiming at (btw you do not aim a shotgun you point it), but you have a higher chance of hitting your target than with just about any other kind of weapon. A way to see if your rules treat shotguns correctly is to have a character shoot at a flying bird with a shot gun and with a highpowered rifle with a good scope. If the rifle is hitting more often than the shotgun, the rules are wrong. If a rifle was better at this than a shotgun, duck hunters would not be using shotguns!
Now for the rules. I've give the shot gun a range of 9 meters, but instead of the normal ten range bands it gets only five range bands. (this is in keeping with my experience with shotguns). Shotguns get a +4 to hit bonus (technically it is fewer pellets than a ten round burst, but they are coiming at the target all at once in pattern making them much harder to dodge and there is no recoil penelty between the pellets). It does 3d6 out to 9 meters, 2d6 out to 18 meters, and 1d6 at any range beyond that. I have kept the penitration the same as in the rules.

Other House Rules suggestions:

Skill Focus grants a +3 bonus to one skill, not a +2.

Carousing grants a +4 bonus to the Gather Info roll, not +2. (Since it's not all the time, but only in certain circumstances, it's akin to Improved Initiative, and should have more of an impact than +2.)

Similar changes can be made for other skill modifying feats that are limited in use.

Just some suggestions,
Flynn

Originally posted by Garf:
I'm pretty flexible.

k/Photography would be a text book understanding of lenses and refraction and paralax and light increments vs film speed. Without necessarily much skill in a dark room or being able to take a picture that doesn't cut off people's heads.

t/photography would be a professional developer or dedicated dark room genius who can do all kinds of 'gearhead' tricks with camera, negatives and even airbrushed finished photos but might lack the imagination or creativity to really elevate a given photograph to that nebulous place the pretentious people call 'art'

c/photography would be an intuititive camera user who can 'paint with light' but whose genius may or may not escape the dark room unscathed.

p/photography is the guy you WANT taking your passport photos, grad photo's and whom you hire to photograph your wedding instead of allowing cousin jerry to do it for free.

I'd allow all skills to exist... which cascade the player puts it under will just refine its.. um... focus.
I like how you put this, and I think this is how I'm going to work it personally. I'm an amateur photographer myself, and this makes a lot of sense to me, and seems to work well with the various stats for each skill, as you pointed out in your other post on this.

Oh, and great pun.
I may have to let you borrow one of my camera bodies, maybe the Puntax? :D

A House rule for MTU will include the multi-classing of doing correspondence courses while in the pre-history Chargen. This divides the possible XPs by two, but if you succeed ( I will add a -1/or -2 modifier-haven't decided yet). But it will allow (as in RL) a Char to "improve his/her/itself" as we can today.
The division of Xp reflects the amount of time taken up away from the career one is presently in.
"Graduation" will grant the ACAD bonus to EDU, and adds a +1/ or +2 to the promotion roll of that term.(again decided by the negative modifier previously mentioned).
Having done this in real life, in order to merit for a promotion, and that it is an educational benefit the services offer (Army Marines, Navy, etc), I see no reason why a 56th-57th century Imperium wouldn't also. True, you're PC isn't going up "levels" fast, but he/she/it will be better prepared/skilled for the Post service life!

heretically yours,

Back