• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General How much does a VACC Suit protect from HAZMAT?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
So I was wondering: How much does a VACC Suit protect the wearer from Hazardous Material?

We know from the Classic Traveller adventure Shadows that a Corrosive and Insidious atmosphere can damage a suit.

But what about a contaminated atmosphere?

So I was wondering: How much does a VACC Suit protect the wearer from Hazardous Material?

We know from the Classic Traveller adventure Shadows that a Corrosive and Insidious atmosphere can damage a suit.

I would assume a vacc suit keeps your air in and everything else out. It has decent radiation protection, as that is necessary in space.

LBB1'81, p41:
Vacc Suit (Cr10.000; TL 8): The personal vacuum or space suit is designed to protect the individual from vacuum, tainted or noxious atmospheres, and some radiation situations. It carries i t s own communicators, oxygen tanks for six hours, and other basic survival appurtenances. Use of a vacc suit requires vacc suit-0 or better. It acts as cloth armor when subject to attacks. Vacc suits are relatively bulky, and weigh 10 kilograms; the weight counts against personal weight allow- ances. This weight is reduced 2 kilograms per tech level as the suit gains increasing sophistication. For example, a T L 10 vacc suit weighs 6 kilograms, and a vacc suit at tech level 13+ adds no apparent weight.

The definition of corrosive and insidious atmospheres is basically that it will be a problem for your standard vacc suit.

I think it depends on the exact nature of the atmosphere or environment we're talking about. Without knowing what chemical(s) / molecules are involved, it'd be hard to say whether a particular set of protective gear would work or not.

For example, what makes up an "insidious" atmosphere?

If an insidious atmosphere were one where there were winds of say, 200 + kph and fine dust in it, being essentially sandblasted would require different protection from say one with highly reactive gases in it.

Anything that would creep into a basic vacc suit or airlock.

The details are up to the Referee.

LBB3'77, p5:
_ _ Exotic atmospheres require the use of oxygen tanks, but protective suits are not required.
_ _ Corrosive atmospheres require the use of protective suits and measures similar to that
required for vacuum.
_ _ Insidious atmospheres are similar to corrosive atmospheres, but will defeat any personal
protective measures in 2-12 hours.

I think it depends on the exact nature of the atmosphere or environment we're talking about. Without knowing what chemical(s) / molecules are involved, it'd be hard to say whether a particular set of protective gear would work or not.

If an insidious atmosphere were one where there were winds of say, 200 + kph and fine dust in it, being essentially sandblasted would require different protection from say one with highly reactive gases in it.
Special supplement 2 covered a lot of this
1714995206197.png

Depends on the hazard... And how you view how VaccSuits work.
My issue here is less about the wearer worrying about it while you are in it, the issue becomes how good is you decontamination once exit said atmosphere.

Depends on the hazard... And how you view how VaccSuits work.

My issue here is less about the wearer worrying about it while you are in it, the issue becomes how good is you decontamination once exit said atmosphere.
this: my wife was a firefighter for a long time, and it has only been the last few years they realized just how hazardous the turnout gear was. They used to sleep next to the gear, no washing. Now, at least in our area, they are required to have 2 turnout gear sets, and proper cleaning when they get back in. Cancer is the number one killer of firefighters. CDC Link Mostly due to the chemicals used in modern construction.

it has only been the last few years they realized just how hazardous the turnout gear was.
Inhaling diesel fumes from starting up the firetruck before the bay door completely opens turns out to have also been ... life shorteningly toxic.
Just another reason why firefighters tend to have lower average lifespans than the general population.

Inhaling diesel fumes from starting up the firetruck before the bay door completely opens turns out to have also been ... life shorteningly toxic.
Just another reason why firefighters tend to have lower average lifespans than the general population.
they actually have these vacuum hoses attached to the exhaust systems - they get in, drive out & they get yanked off. But yeah, that is a relatively recent thing as well I think. I don't remember those when she started almost 30 years ago but they were there the last decade or so she worked.

She also worked in an old station with asbestos for insulation. It was a really cool building though.

And yes - we've known more than a dozen firefighters die from cancer. My wife barely survived cancer herself. She is now retired from that and works as a fly-fishing guide part-time. She is much happier!

If a vacc suit was designed for its named purpose, then wouldn’t it stand that it’d be proof against the basic heat & cold & vacuum hazards in its environment of choice? It’d provide the holy trinity for personal survival; gas mix, pressure, & radiation protection. How well it does all that would be dependent on its TL and construction/cost.

This depends of the Version of Traveller. Vacc suits are all over the place protection wise depending on the game. As far as a contaminated atmosphere that is not corrosive it would provide 100% protection as it is air tight. If it's insidious like hydrogen one could slightly over pressure the suit to protect.

Back