• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hydrogen and Jump, some musings...

1. No, muons are not exotic, they are part of the standard model.

2. I was the idiot who first proposed that collectors harvest exotic particles - remember a particle is just an excitation in a field.

3. Meaningless technobabble with regards to jump turbines but my theory was that the regular jump drive does indeed use fusion to create the jump particles/field excitation.

4. Messing around with muons is at least TL12

No, muons are not exotic, they are part of the standard model. ... . Messing around with muons is at least TL12

Yes, but they could explain efficiency increase or miniaturization of P-Plants at TL-12+.

2. I was the idiot who first proposed that collectors harvest exotic particles - remember a particle is just an excitation in a field.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that whatever fields are associated with Jumpspace might likewise have associated field-particles/excitation-states that are relevant to the operation of the drive; it is just unlikely that any of those particles would be anything that has been discovered or proposed in physics-theory to date.

There are three general processes performed.

1. Opening a dimensional gate.

2. Travelling through a non Einsteinian dimension.

3. Returning to the Einsteinian universe.

How does antigravity work? Come on….
No idea, but I do know what muons are according to current models...

Traveller artificial gravity defies any explanation under known physics, and I have yet to see anyone come close to handwaving it in a satisfactory manner (although I have a tachyonic field handwave that may fit my needs)

So you could go:
TL8 null grav module breakthroughs also allow fusion power plants to finally become a thing with the incorporation of primitive artificial gravity understanding.
TL9 advances in artificial gravity lead to grav plates, acceleration compensation fields, the maneuver drive and if you get really lucky the jump drive. This last one is not a given.
TL12 a greater understanding allows for the manipulation of what today we call the strong and weak forces in their various modes. Damper tech can increase the strong force thus better fusion engines, "meson" tech allows for weak force manipulation and thus the muon catalysed fusion would become possible.

Last edited:
There are three general processes performed.

1. Opening a dimensional gate.
As it has never been described by anyone ever, the typical description is tearing a hole in our universe that the jump ship enters and immediately closes
2. Travelling through a non Einsteinian dimension.
What is an Einsteinian dimension?
3. Returning to the Einsteinian universe.
I take it you mean spacetime?

It might be that space and time exist in jumpspace, just that the laws of physics are mutated.

Traveller technology and advancement are probably underpinned by the understanding and manipulation of gravitational forces, including dimensional travel.

Back