• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General I read the news today, oh boy...

Depends. Tables and such are not protected. Superfluous descriptions like examples are. The stated rules are not. This is all in the USA of course. I just worked with a company that just finished that for a D&D like game that had been using the SRD and has now tossed the SRD. Wasn't really needed in the first place as the SRD contained almost zero I.P. to start with
The case law is said to have distinguished between forumlaic tables, collected public data, and non-formulaic tables. Collected pubic data (phonebooks) and formulaic tables (such as log tables and root tables for math) can't be copyrighted, but add a couple fictional ones in, and it can. Same for Maps; totally accurate, no copyright, but add a fake town or two, and misspell a couple names on purpose... I've heard this from two then-practicing IP lawyers in the 90's, and seen references to it online, but not looked up the cases themselves.

The IP of the SRDs is the exact wording of the rules. Now, in the case of D&D, the exact wording is pretty sloppy, so rewriting, while not trivial, is doable. The ability to simply use the bulk of the text as is has strong commercial value, in that the other uses establish a common understanding of that exact wording; paraphrasing can often cause misinterpretations.

Likewise, some SRDs go even further; Free League (aka Fria Ligan) released a single SRD with various options from across the line... you get one SRD, but it's got options from at least 5 different flavors of Year Zero (MYZ, Vaesen, Alien, Forbidden Lands, Tales from the Loop), and is a menu of choices to use to build your customized flavor, and leaving room for you to modify bits, but to use that well defined text where you don't need to customize. I don't know if there's a Swedish version, but if their is, using the SRD also means easier translation.

That "exact wording" is a thing of value.

Plus, for France and Germany, where paraphrases still infringe, the SRD is even more useful.

The case law is said to have distinguished between forumlaic tables, collected public data, and non-formulaic tables. Collected pubic data (phonebooks) and formulaic tables (such as log tables and root tables for math) can't be copyrighted, but add a couple fictional ones in, and it can. Same for Maps; totally accurate, no copyright, but add a fake town or two, and misspell a couple names on purpose... I've heard this from two then-practicing IP lawyers in the 90's, and seen references to it online, but not looked up the cases themselves.

The IP of the SRDs is the exact wording of the rules. Now, in the case of D&D, the exact wording is pretty sloppy, so rewriting, while not trivial, is doable. The ability to simply use the bulk of the text as is has strong commercial value, in that the other uses establish a common understanding of that exact wording; paraphrasing can often cause misinterpretations.

Likewise, some SRDs go even further; Free League (aka Fria Ligan) released a single SRD with various options from across the line... you get one SRD, but it's got options from at least 5 different flavors of Year Zero (MYZ, Vaesen, Alien, Forbidden Lands, Tales from the Loop), and is a menu of choices to use to build your customized flavor, and leaving room for you to modify bits, but to use that well defined text where you don't need to customize. I don't know if there's a Swedish version, but if their is, using the SRD also means easier translation.

That "exact wording" is a thing of value.

Plus, for France and Germany, where paraphrases still infringe, the SRD is even more useful.
If a table is rules or an expression of rules it can't be copyright. Period. Wording of rules = rules. There can be IP within rules like Air/car as a rules outcome. That has to be changed to something like Air Car. But other than that you can use exact words in the rules. 21st century ruling.

Last edited:
Not a LEGAL opinion, but just an observation … I have seen very little that could not be IMPROVED by a good rewording. ;)

Certainly. "Roll 2D6 and add attribute modifier." is pretty bland...
[Just a sock-puppet test for BOARD functionality ... this is atpollard]

Having seen some of the latest rules ... I WISH it said "Roll 2D6 and add attribute modifier."

What about this ...

Using The C - Code. The Six Characteristics can be randomly selected by corresponding a 1D result with the C - Code (all of this is detailed in Characteristics). Sometimes a range of characteristics is stated (usually as an Injury as a result of Fighting or a Mishap). Roll 1D= the result is the position code for the selected characteristic. For example, to randomly select from C1 C2 C3, roll 1D (= 3 selects Characteristic C3). If the die roll does not match a characteristic in the range, reroll. Randomly Determined Characteristic. When a characteristic must be selected (often without regard to those available). Roll 1D for the appropriate column. For example, 1D= 3= Endurance. If Human Characteristics are called for, use Column 3 - 4. If non - Human Characteristics are called for, add a 1D roll for column. For example, 1D= 2= Column 2= Stamina. Rows 0 and 7 are not normally accessible; the Referee may impose DM + 1 or DM - 1 when necessary
... any chance it might be possible to reword that prose, or has it reached Shakespearian perfection. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a very simple rule recently.

The referee should consider the prior career, number of terms, rank, skills, characteristics and any special tools or assistance the character is bringing to the situation. The referee should also consider the environmental factors and stresses preventing success.

The player role plays or states what their character does in the situation presented.

The referee either says the character succeeds, or has the player roll 2d.

If the situation is tipped towards the character roll 3d and take the highest 2d
If the situation is tipped away from the character roll 3d and take the lowest 2d.

The referee decides a target number (or can randomly roll 2d for a typical adverse situation, 3d for a challenging situation, sum the dice to arrive at the target number).

DMs should be decided by the referee, taking into account prior career, number of terms, rank, skills, characteristics and any special tools or assistance the character is bringing to the situation. The referee should also consider the environmental factors and stresses preventing success. Good role playing on the part of the player may warrant a bonus either to the DM or to grant a 3d roll (take highest 2d).

I saw it in by homebrew CT+ folder :)

Same for Maps; totally accurate, no copyright, but add a fake town or two, and misspell a couple names on purpose...
This is in fact done by real-world map publishers. I've seen "Laytona" right next to Layton, UT; and had to contact a GPS software company about a map error in an area I drive through (the street never went through there, and physically couldn't have).

See Trap Street (Wikipedia).

This is in fact done by real-world map publishers. I've seen "Laytona" right next to Layton, UT; and had to contact a GPS software company about a map error in an area I drive through (the street never went through there, and physically couldn't have).

See Trap Street (Wikipedia).
It’s also why you can’t use Google maps in Korea.

Since Google shares the map data with enemy (the North) and hostile (China) nations the South deliberately sends out of date or inaccurate data to Google. I think it’s about a decade out of date at this point.

Back