• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ice refueling

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
MegaTrav has ice refueling. CT does not - a notable omission. I have a vague idea from past threads that some of the other game systems have ice refueling, but I don't know the details.

Anyway, MegaTrav ice refueling comes to us courtesy of Starship Operator's Manual, volume only. Fairly straightforward task system, not terribly complicated if you can wrap your head around that. (I think I'm starting to get it, but there are some odd bits I'm still wrestling with.) So I ask myself a couple of questions: why doesn't the Navy use this very obvious strategy for strategic advantage, and can we boil it down to something usable in the CT/HG universe?

And -

Well, the answer to the second question rather answers the first. There are some assumptions made to facilitate it, but it seems to work - if you don't mind the casualty rate.

Getting the ice involves finding the ice first. I'm not addressing that. If they haven't got a very detailed map of what all is in the system and where it orbits after 500 years, someone deserves to get sacked.

The basic MT ice mining task, as portrayed by Master Fugate and company, is a Routine (i.e. roll 7+) task, modified by Vacc Suit skill and Mechanical skill, which makes sense: you're in a vacc suit using some sort of machine to cut ice. It is hazardous - if you make a mistake, you'll likely get hurt, or maybe you'll break your equipment, or both. I tended to presume the first because, well, you're in a vacc suit using some sort of machine to cut ice; unless you actually do that for a living, that sounds like a recipe for injury. Also, it's hard to quantify broken machines of unknown type and character, but I figure if you're doing something where they're likely to break a lot, then you'll have the spare parts and backup machines to repair or replace them so you can get on with the job.

The roll implies a per-person task. That makes it crew-dependent. The roll appears to be outcome based: how long it takes depends on how much fuel there is to get. So, I begin with the assumption that you're at someplace with enough ice to fill your tanks, and you're spending no more than 8 hours a day at the job; I'm not a slave driver.

What I end up with is, very roughly:
A ship of 5000 dT or over can mine fuel equivalent to 4% of the ship's tonnage per day. (Carriers tend to have more crew per dTon than other ships of similar size, but I didn't put the pilots to work; few of them will have Mechanical skill.)
A ship of 1000 dT or under can mine fuel equivalent to 8% of the ship's tonnage per day. (The smaller ships tend to have more crew per dTon.)
In between, it tends to graduate: 7% for 2000, 6% for 3000, 5% for 4000.

But, it's hazardous work. I assume the typical crewman has a +1 to +2 skill bonus - vacc suit or mechanical or both. About 5% of the crew per day will take an injury seriously enough to put them on bed rest for one to two weeks. (Another 7% take a "superficial" injury that allows them to return to work after treatment. About 1 in 400 takes an injury serious enough to put them out for a month or more, but that's more significant to the individual than to the ship.) Could be less if you assume more skill. BEST CASE, if you're skilled asteroid miners, is to cut that to 2%.

So, in a nutshell, your Jump-4 ship/squadron/fleet (assuming something larger than a destroyer) takes 11 days to refuel by ice mining, at the end of which about a third of the crew is on sick call (some of the early injuries having recovered and returned to work). A week in jump will see some return to duty, but the ship will still be short-handed when it arrives.

Of course, nothing says MT extends into CT, but it paints an interesting picture of why ships might not routinely use that as a strategy: it's very slow, and it's very hard on the crew. Whether it's nonetheless tenable, hard or not, is a different question. Canon CT limits sensors to 3 light seconds, but that's for ships. Canon HG says a ship can escape hostile forces even if the they're slightly faster than it, if it can start from the reserve; this would imply some ability to move beyond sensor range. Canon MT adopts similar sensor range limits that have similar effects - again that's for ships, but one presumes a friendly planet can monitor and relay tracking data if it has sensors capable of tracking at interplanetary ranges, and that doesn't seem to happen. Canon TCS says ships can hide out in the outer system - but that's a wargame. Invasion Earth, a wargame centered on a high tech world, adopts the same convention. Fifth Frontier War, a wargame, does not: you fight it out until someone leaves or there's only one side's navy left in the system.

Most of that, but not all, would suggest a ship can park at some ice body and spend 11 days refueling without drawing hostile notice, making a "Hannibal over the Alps" play possible, especially if you preposition a tanker with a crew of skilled miners. On the other hand, there's the ever-present specter of verisimilitude and the question of why TL14-15 sensors can't pick up a distant infrared source that our modern sensors would have no problem spotting. Of course, you might mask the betraying heat by making sure that ice body was between you and the local inhabited world.

Thoughts?

I like it, but I would just drop the whole 'dangerous' aspect.

People prefer to skim rather than mine ice because it is faster and less physical work.

It is just like the reason most of the world doesn't use desalination to create drinking water.
Not because it can't be done, but because there are cheaper and easier ways to achieve the goal.

I would think if ice harvesting is man-hour intensive as well as potentially hazardous to the crew doing such then why not employ a drone-RPV to do that work ?

A ship's MULE, or in this case CAMEL, might be be better suited for such labor and free up said personnel previously so tasked.

I define a ship's MULE as a 5ton or 10ton utility vehicle equipped for various jobs related to normal ship operations and repair-maintenance, think BobCat+Jeep+Caterpillar P-5000 Work Loader.

CT does have ice mining - you just have to know where to look ;)

Hint - Beltstrike :)

Interesting. I'd forgotten that one. Not a lot of detail, but some interesting other tidbits like mining equipment and mention of the volume of life support equipment. They're saying 2 tons of ore per 6-hour watch. Same for ice. If that's the metric ton, there's not much hydrogen there - 222 kg, not even a quarter dTon, assuming water ice. Means the miner's pulling out about 5 1/2 liters of water ice every minute. If it's the Dton of cargo space, then that runs pretty close to our figure: a dTon by volume of water ice is 13.5 metric tons, which gives us about a dTon and a half of hydrogen, which means the miner's producing the equivalent of 3 dTons every 6 hours (or 4 every 8). Means he's moving 75 liters a minute - a chunk the size of a decent suitcase. That was about my per-man calculation from Starship Operator's Manual, so they seem to agree with each other, which is nice.

As for risk, there's an event table, rolled every 6 hours if one is outside. Odds of an event range from 10/36 to 21/36 depending on where. Events include suit ruptures (6/36 chance: 1d6 damage on the first round, 2D6 on the second, and so forth, with a dex roll each round to slap a patch on), injuries (9/36 chance: 1d6 half the time, 2d6 a third of the time, 3d6 the remainder), and an assortment of other usually noninjurious results (21/36). Overall, about an average 17% chance per shift outside of injury, with roughly an 8% to 9% chance of an incapacitating injury that could put you in bed for a few days. Hmmm, it's actually a bit risker than Starship Operator's Manual. Seems to be the same ballpark though.

Your typical ship has a massive power plant that a ship's systems are not even going to come close to using, and as least some form of cargo space. Putting ice into a large container, melting it in the cargo space to water, then running it through a fuel refining plant should not be a big deal. Just takes time. All of that byproduct oxygen can be used to replenish ship supplies, or sold if you are visiting an asteroid belt or vacuum planet.

In My Traveller Universe, arid planets will waive the landing fees and port charges for ships bring in at least 10 tons of water for drop off on the planet. Imports of bottled water do not pay custom duties if over and above the 10 ton base line. Fuel costs are higher though, 1500 Credits for Refined fuel, no unrefined fuel. Ships arriving with sufficient surplus hydrogen to reconstitute into 10 tons of water also have landing fees and port charges waived.

I gave some thought to this a while back and came up with some of the following issues.

Cracking Ice will be much more time intensive than skimming or dunking.

When melting ice there is a chance of odd/dangerous gases realeased that could cause issues.

Also when melting Ice there will be dirt/dust mixed in that can cause purification issues.

Melting out seams of ice in large amounts may destablize/crack the rock you are working on.

Getting the ice up to melt temp means it is going to have to be moved to a sealed location rather than open space. This will make contamination/gas issues even more pronounced.

All in all it will be a hard, dirty,dangerous, difficult process used only in dire times.

Or at least in my humble opinion....

A ship's MULE, or in this case CAMEL, might be be better suited for such labor and free up said personnel previously so tasked.

not in a very low G environment.

I gave some thought to this a while back and came up with some of the following issues.

that's why you should use the Mosquito Rig(c). all the melting is done deep within the ice body itself, and the probe sucks up all the released gasses.

that's why you should use the Mosquito Rig(c). all the melting is done deep within the ice body itself, and the probe sucks up all the released gasses.

Clever. I had envisioned a collecting envelope and a point gravity source, but this is, well ... elegant.

Some problems just simply melt away :D when you can throw a couple of hundred spare megawatts at them.

I would think if ice harvesting is man-hour intensive as well as potentially hazardous to the crew doing such then why not employ a drone-RPV to do that work ?...

Because, for some reason I will never fully understand, Traveller believes you should never send an expendable, armored and fully capable remotely piloted device to do a man's job. I personally suspect it has something to do with a sadistic urge to put players in harm's way in the name of roleplaying. ;)

Mentioned is the right word. I went a' digging, yours is the earliest mention, and all there is is a mention. But, I did find this:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=4157&highlight=Mosquito+rig&page=3

where you feature it in a deckplan, and this:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=21724&highlight=Mosquito+rig

where Whipsnade gives a few more details from your TML post: "First proposed by someone on the TML, the mosquito rig is a solar or RTG powered fuel refinery placed on or in an ice body. The rig first slowly cracks the water ice around it into refined fuel and oxygen, then stores both in expandable bladders."

And in the process of researching it, I found a post Blue Ghost started last year on ice refueling,

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30511

that I intend to pore over thoroughly for more ideas, where on page 6 you provided more details: "...you break out your Mosquito Rig(c) which is a cargo-container-sized piece of drilling equipment. you anchor it to the ice and it heats up/refreezes the ice around the bottom to form a gas seal. it then drills into the ice, heating up a chamber beneath the surface and drawing off and collecting the evaporating gasses for pre-processing and delivery to the normal refueling systems. piece of cake."

I'd plumb forgotten about that thread.

And then there are some outside sources that like the idea,
http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/shipyard/classic/john-t-kwon/hel.html

and expanded on it a bit:
http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/stories/dropout/dropout10.html

and it's mentioned over in Mongoose:

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=48627&start=20

So clearly your idea has some legs to it, and now we have all the citations in one place. :D

And, honestly, it doesn't look all that hazardous. Beats heck out of the way they're doing it in Beltstrike. I don't see any reason that or some similar beastie moving around on a caterpillar with gravs to hold it down wouldn't do a fine job without putting men at risk. I'll have to run some numbers to come up with a ballpark idea of what its production rate might be. That deckplan bit'll give me some dimensions to work with.

Trillion Credit Squadron too.

I see mention of ice caps on worlds with a hydrographic percentage and no atmosphere. I see no mention of them being treated differently from oceans. The campaign game has only two "speeds": now, or in one week. There's rules for in-combat gas-giant refueling but none for in-combat ocean refueling or ice refueling, therefore no data on the process. And, while they recognize the possibility of ice caps on a system's primary world, they don't seem to acknowledge the existence of ice elsewhere in the system. Fuel for errata, perhaps, or for a variant: it'd be interesting to see how game-play changed if all ships could refuel in a week from any system, even if they were in the outer system.

TCS models on the same fueling process used in Fifth Frontier War, which uses fueling as a strategic bottleneck. TCS is in the unique position of being both canon and decanonized: its rules regarding fuel bladders and such have been lifted into canon, but the rest of it is considered a wargame, with rules intended to simplify gameplay that don't necessarily reflect the way the milieu operates. A shame; some of it's potentially useful.

The interesting thing is that in TCS only streamlined ships can refuel at icecaps: "...in order for an unstreamlined or partially streamlined task force to refuel from a planetary ocean or icecap, at least 10% of its fuel tankage must be in streamlined ships." But, "In the event that the world has no atmosphere (or only trace atmosphere), the world will have little or no water available for ocean refueling; however, if there is some surface water available, the notation icecapped will be made, indicating that the water for fuel must be mined." So, if there's hydrographics at a trace or vacuum world, it's locked up in an icecap, but you still need to be streamlined to get at it. Someone wasn't thinking.

now we have all the citations in one place

thanks for the consolidation. and I really like that quote on mongoose, "... a rare period of lucidity on the TML ...", it was indeed a rough-and-tumble newsletter.

Back