• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I'm playing Traveller again!

The GM chair rotated back my way this Monday. While it's not surprising, I wasn't expecting it. So, I'm finally playing Traveller again for the first time in probably more than 10 years, & I'm ref'ing it for the 1st time.

Most of the group hadn't made it (which was probably good since I was totally unprepared
), so there were only 2 players. Chargen went fine, even though I played it pretty much by-the-book. They ended up choosing fairly safe careers--Noble & Doctor--so the Survival roll issue didn't come up.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the four pages of career tables from Sup4 fell completely on a single two-page spread in the reprint BFB. With both players having choosen careers from it, it was actually easier to use the BFB than the LBB.

We ended up with a surgeon of 6 terms & a baroness of 7. (It was particularly funny when the noble decided to retire & rolled a 12 for re-enlist. "But Daddy, you promised!") The baroness ended up with a yacht as well. (Were deckplans for a yacht ever published?)

Almost before I realized it, the girl with the baroness character was working out the economics of starship operation & hiring crew.

Since MTU is no where near ready to go, I choose to stick with OTU & the Spinward Marches. I plopped them down (or...er...up) at Regina's highport & asked them what they wanted to do.

They looked for passengers for Jenghe & found enough high passengers to fill their available staterooms. I suggested they try to find a patron, which they did, but none was found.

On Jenghe a patron was found. (I picked one out of BITS' 101 Patrons.) They ended up jumping to Dinom & then Dinomn (Who thought those were good names?
) to deliver the patron, a colleague, & 2 tons of medical equipment to the patron's homeworld, with a minor complication or two.

There was some grumbling about the accounting involved in starship ops, but the player took up the task without any prompting by me & seemed to be enjoying it (despite the grumbling). (I assured them that we could gloss over the details in the future if we weren't enjoying the details.)

In any case, they seemed to enjoy it despite the strugglings of a unprepared, 1st time (for Traveller) ref. Two characters, three jumps, & one patron seemed like a pretty successful first session to me.

I found myself falling back on my Starter Traveller books a lot. It was just easier for me to find things in them than in the LBBs. The last page of Bk0 helped, but ST was still quicker. Though I'll probably get a lot better with the LBBs once I get used to them. ("Experience is in Bk2. Experience is in Bk2.") In any case, I was very happy to have ST, the LBBs, & the BFBs all at the table. They all got use.

The GM chair rotated back my way this Monday. While it's not surprising, I wasn't expecting it. So, I'm finally playing Traveller again for the first time in probably more than 10 years, & I'm ref'ing it for the 1st time.

Most of the group hadn't made it (which was probably good since I was totally unprepared
), so there were only 2 players. Chargen went fine, even though I played it pretty much by-the-book. They ended up choosing fairly safe careers--Noble & Doctor--so the Survival roll issue didn't come up.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the four pages of career tables from Sup4 fell completely on a single two-page spread in the reprint BFB. With both players having choosen careers from it, it was actually easier to use the BFB than the LBB.

We ended up with a surgeon of 6 terms & a baroness of 7. (It was particularly funny when the noble decided to retire & rolled a 12 for re-enlist. "But Daddy, you promised!") The baroness ended up with a yacht as well. (Were deckplans for a yacht ever published?)

Almost before I realized it, the girl with the baroness character was working out the economics of starship operation & hiring crew.

Since MTU is no where near ready to go, I choose to stick with OTU & the Spinward Marches. I plopped them down (or...er...up) at Regina's highport & asked them what they wanted to do.

They looked for passengers for Jenghe & found enough high passengers to fill their available staterooms. I suggested they try to find a patron, which they did, but none was found.

On Jenghe a patron was found. (I picked one out of BITS' 101 Patrons.) They ended up jumping to Dinom & then Dinomn (Who thought those were good names?
) to deliver the patron, a colleague, & 2 tons of medical equipment to the patron's homeworld, with a minor complication or two.

There was some grumbling about the accounting involved in starship ops, but the player took up the task without any prompting by me & seemed to be enjoying it (despite the grumbling). (I assured them that we could gloss over the details in the future if we weren't enjoying the details.)

In any case, they seemed to enjoy it despite the strugglings of a unprepared, 1st time (for Traveller) ref. Two characters, three jumps, & one patron seemed like a pretty successful first session to me.

I found myself falling back on my Starter Traveller books a lot. It was just easier for me to find things in them than in the LBBs. The last page of Bk0 helped, but ST was still quicker. Though I'll probably get a lot better with the LBBs once I get used to them. ("Experience is in Bk2. Experience is in Bk2.") In any case, I was very happy to have ST, the LBBs, & the BFBs all at the table. They all got use.

Very cool news, Robert! Congratulations on a new CT game!

I'd love to keep up with it, if you have a mailing list or if you don't mind posting the occasional update here on the COTI boards.

I wish I'd been able to help you prepare your ATU a little bit better. I did offer some suggestions on the UWPs and allegiances, but I don't know what you thought of those suggestions.

Keep On Travellin',
Flynn

Very cool news, Robert! Congratulations on a new CT game!

I'd love to keep up with it, if you have a mailing list or if you don't mind posting the occasional update here on the COTI boards.

I wish I'd been able to help you prepare your ATU a little bit better. I did offer some suggestions on the UWPs and allegiances, but I don't know what you thought of those suggestions.

Keep On Travellin',
Flynn

Practice, practice, practice. If anything will get you better at refing, it just doing it over and over again.

Sounds pretty good for a first time to me!

Practice, practice, practice. If anything will get you better at refing, it just doing it over and over again.

Sounds pretty good for a first time to me!

reffing traveller is usually an overwhelming experience that leaves one exhausted at the end of it. (I certainly was, trying to control 4 gun-ho PCs asking to do the impossible all the time.)
And if you can keep up with the playrers you are doing well.

reffing traveller is usually an overwhelming experience that leaves one exhausted at the end of it. (I certainly was, trying to control 4 gun-ho PCs asking to do the impossible all the time.)
And if you can keep up with the playrers you are doing well.

Yay. Not that I have any advice, but I do hope you have fun. (Can I take it you got your daughter, and possibly some other family, in on it?)

Yay. Not that I have any advice, but I do hope you have fun. (Can I take it you got your daughter, and possibly some other family, in on it?)

Originally posted by Flynn:
Sorry I never got back to you on that. I just hadn't had much time to work on it since then. I did appreciate the suggestions, & they were having some influence on me.

I may start a web page with session summaries for the campaign. I haven't decided yet. I'm usually bad at keeping up with those things.

Originally posted by Flynn:
Sorry I never got back to you on that. I just hadn't had much time to work on it since then. I did appreciate the suggestions, & they were having some influence on me.

I may start a web page with session summaries for the campaign. I haven't decided yet. I'm usually bad at keeping up with those things.

Originally posted by Jame:
(Can I take it you got your daughter, and possibly some other family, in on it?)
Nope. The kids are still too young. (My son is 4, & my daughter's 2.)

The wife hasn't shown any interest in roleplaying. I figure once the kids are old enough--if she doesn't decide to give it a try before then, she might give it a try when I forc^H^H^H^Hget them to try. I probably won't start her out on Traveller, though. (Although, she did get hooked on Firefly...)

My current group has been together since 2000, although myself & the couple that were there Monday are the only one's left from the original group. The other three current members were recruited from their Saturday group. (Having kids, weekends are family time for me, so I can't make the Saturday game.)

Even though none of them had played it (or maybe because they hadn't), the group has always been up for a Traveller campaign, but it hasn't come up in the rotation until now. In fact, a couple of years ago when it was last my turn to GM, it was really hard for one guy--the bigest Tolkien fan in the group--to decide whether he wanted me to run Lord of the Rings or Traveller. (He's had the books, but never played.)

Originally posted by Jame:
(Can I take it you got your daughter, and possibly some other family, in on it?)
Nope. The kids are still too young. (My son is 4, & my daughter's 2.)

The wife hasn't shown any interest in roleplaying. I figure once the kids are old enough--if she doesn't decide to give it a try before then, she might give it a try when I forc^H^H^H^Hget them to try. I probably won't start her out on Traveller, though. (Although, she did get hooked on Firefly...)

My current group has been together since 2000, although myself & the couple that were there Monday are the only one's left from the original group. The other three current members were recruited from their Saturday group. (Having kids, weekends are family time for me, so I can't make the Saturday game.)

Even though none of them had played it (or maybe because they hadn't), the group has always been up for a Traveller campaign, but it hasn't come up in the rotation until now. In fact, a couple of years ago when it was last my turn to GM, it was really hard for one guy--the bigest Tolkien fan in the group--to decide whether he wanted me to run Lord of the Rings or Traveller. (He's had the books, but never played.)

well good for you you get to play CT.

now if only i can get a bunch of my friends to actually stop playing D&D so much and play CT it would all be better. even if they played T20 I would be ok but they don't.

well good for you you get to play CT.

now if only i can get a bunch of my friends to actually stop playing D&D so much and play CT it would all be better. even if they played T20 I would be ok but they don't.

Back