• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I'm playing Traveller again!

Slyen,

Try aiming for a Once-A-Month game. Many people who are interested in Traveller can find time to meet once a month or so to game, but often don't want to devote anything more regular to it when they find more supported games like D&D available on a weekly basis. That's how I hooked in a Traveller gaming group that's been meeting now for two years.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Slyen,

Try aiming for a Once-A-Month game. Many people who are interested in Traveller can find time to meet once a month or so to game, but often don't want to devote anything more regular to it when they find more supported games like D&D available on a weekly basis. That's how I hooked in a Traveller gaming group that's been meeting now for two years.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

The key to this approach is simple: People book themselves pretty solid and tend to freak out when you ask them to sacrifice more of their time, when they don't have enough already to do all the things they want. However, if you can make it look like it's a rare thing, something they can slip in every so often, they don't get that knee-jerk reaction and they even consider it as an option. I tried for years to get a weekly game going, and they all failed due to lack of interest. I read this tip in an old Challenge magazine (or maybe it was a Traveller's Digest, I can't remember), so I tried it. Now I have a regular game with a good group and even some people on a waiting list.

I make the suggestion only because in my case it worked. I hope it proves helpful to you as well.

In Service,
Flynn

The key to this approach is simple: People book themselves pretty solid and tend to freak out when you ask them to sacrifice more of their time, when they don't have enough already to do all the things they want. However, if you can make it look like it's a rare thing, something they can slip in every so often, they don't get that knee-jerk reaction and they even consider it as an option. I tried for years to get a weekly game going, and they all failed due to lack of interest. I read this tip in an old Challenge magazine (or maybe it was a Traveller's Digest, I can't remember), so I tried it. Now I have a regular game with a good group and even some people on a waiting list.

I make the suggestion only because in my case it worked. I hope it proves helpful to you as well.

In Service,
Flynn

ISTR that there were 3rd party yacht plans. But if you need, I could cobble a passable set for you..

ISTR that there were 3rd party yacht plans. But if you need, I could cobble a passable set for you..

Thanks for the links, Ranger. (Although, I did find both of those yesterday.
) I'm probably going to use the Minstal's Daughter.

Is the FASA stuff worth getting ahold of? (Here I'd been thinking I wouldn't have to go to ebay for hardly anything Traveller related because of the FFE reprints.
)

Aramis, many thanks for the offer. No need, though, as I think the Minstal's Daughter will fit the bill.

Is the FASA stuff worth getting ahold of? (Here I'd been thinking I wouldn't have to go to ebay for hardly anything Traveller related because of the FFE reprints.
)

Aramis, many thanks for the offer. No need, though, as I think the Minstal's Daughter will fit the bill.

Drop me an email at tomb at stargrunt dot com if you want to talk about different CT products. I was working with the irrepressible Mr. Whipsnade to do up a brief encapsulated review of every CT and MT product I could get my hands on. It's a fair list as I have a lot of the FASA and Kieth Brothers stuff.

From the Kieth Brothers, Startown Liberty was good and there was Lee's Guide to Adventure (10 nicely deployable generic adventures). BITS also puts out some pretty good generic 101 <things> books (101 Passengers, 101 Cargos, etc IIRC).

Though you might not want Gurps stuff, GT:Nobles might be useful (keeping in mind GT sometimes differs slightly from CT) for background material on Nobles.

Anyway, good luck and keep the faith. Me, I'm a dyed-in-the-synthfabric CT/MT man. I own T4, GT, and T20 (and even TNE), but none of them match up to CT/MT and MT was mostly just an improvement for task resolution (a few other bits too, but mostly that). CT with the BITS task system replacing the standard 8+ system is just about perfect, IMO.

If you don't have the BITS task system, it is freely downloadable and takes a page. Frankly, I think it is pretty well done and with it, you can almost entirely toss the rulebooks away.

Drop me an email at tomb at stargrunt dot com if you want to talk about different CT products. I was working with the irrepressible Mr. Whipsnade to do up a brief encapsulated review of every CT and MT product I could get my hands on. It's a fair list as I have a lot of the FASA and Kieth Brothers stuff.

From the Kieth Brothers, Startown Liberty was good and there was Lee's Guide to Adventure (10 nicely deployable generic adventures). BITS also puts out some pretty good generic 101 <things> books (101 Passengers, 101 Cargos, etc IIRC).

Though you might not want Gurps stuff, GT:Nobles might be useful (keeping in mind GT sometimes differs slightly from CT) for background material on Nobles.

Anyway, good luck and keep the faith. Me, I'm a dyed-in-the-synthfabric CT/MT man. I own T4, GT, and T20 (and even TNE), but none of them match up to CT/MT and MT was mostly just an improvement for task resolution (a few other bits too, but mostly that). CT with the BITS task system replacing the standard 8+ system is just about perfect, IMO.

If you don't have the BITS task system, it is freely downloadable and takes a page. Frankly, I think it is pretty well done and with it, you can almost entirely toss the rulebooks away.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
I was working with the irrepressible Mr. Whipsnade to do up a brief encapsulated review of every CT and MT product I could get my hands on.
Sounds very interesting. Such a resource should find a home on the web.

BITS also puts out some pretty good generic 101 <things> books (101 Passengers, 101 Cargos, etc IIRC).
I've already got 101 Patrons & ACQ. Does anyone highly recommend any other specific BITS product?

Though you might not want Gurps stuff
I dunno. I love GURPS & have a admirable collection of GURPS books, but the GT stuff hasn't caught my interest yet.

If you don't have the BITS task system, it is freely downloadable and takes a page.
Yeah, I have the BITS Task system, the original DGP task system, the MT Task system, & even a draft of one of my own (heavily based on BITS').

As much as I have gotten out of them, though, I still prefer to run things more free form. Just pick an appropriate number of dice, an appropriate target number, & appropriate DMs.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
I was working with the irrepressible Mr. Whipsnade to do up a brief encapsulated review of every CT and MT product I could get my hands on.
Sounds very interesting. Such a resource should find a home on the web.

BITS also puts out some pretty good generic 101 <things> books (101 Passengers, 101 Cargos, etc IIRC).
I've already got 101 Patrons & ACQ. Does anyone highly recommend any other specific BITS product?

Though you might not want Gurps stuff
I dunno. I love GURPS & have a admirable collection of GURPS books, but the GT stuff hasn't caught my interest yet.

If you don't have the BITS task system, it is freely downloadable and takes a page.
Yeah, I have the BITS Task system, the original DGP task system, the MT Task system, & even a draft of one of my own (heavily based on BITS').

As much as I have gotten out of them, though, I still prefer to run things more free form. Just pick an appropriate number of dice, an appropriate target number, & appropriate DMs.

Originally posted by RobertFisher:

)

Sorry my links weren't more help. It's hard to figure out what everyone has seen and what is a lost gem on line.

The Minstal's Daughter is based on the same basic design as the FASA design in ACS II, but I think it is better because it just has more of a luxury feel to it.

Overall I would say ACS II is worth getting. It has several deck plans that are "alternative" designs for the Type A (one Imperial one Zhodani), the Type M, and the Type C. It also has the Type T and a generic space station. You can find a better version of the same Type T on line, and the others are just nice to have, but if you can get it for around $20 (it sold for 12 originally) I'd pick it up.

FASA Merchant Class Ships is worth picking up in my opinion as well. It has 5 designs, all 1000 ton ships. Not the kind that the players will probably own, but ones they might book passage on if they don't have their own ship. I'd rate three of the designs as good, one as interesting, and one as good concept but a broken deck plan.

The FCI consumer's guide is nice too. It's nice as a GM to have a list of equipment that you don't know much about so if your players ask you how much a pair of snow shoes cost, you can have a clue (I certainly wouldn't).

I'd also have to second the positive review of Gamelords' Startown Liberty. One of my all time favorites. Very well written and easy to use. You could spend a couple of game sessions just exploring the local downport using it and have a ton of fun.

Just my thoughts... Have fun with the campaign!!

Originally posted by RobertFisher:

)

Sorry my links weren't more help. It's hard to figure out what everyone has seen and what is a lost gem on line.

The Minstal's Daughter is based on the same basic design as the FASA design in ACS II, but I think it is better because it just has more of a luxury feel to it.

Overall I would say ACS II is worth getting. It has several deck plans that are "alternative" designs for the Type A (one Imperial one Zhodani), the Type M, and the Type C. It also has the Type T and a generic space station. You can find a better version of the same Type T on line, and the others are just nice to have, but if you can get it for around $20 (it sold for 12 originally) I'd pick it up.

FASA Merchant Class Ships is worth picking up in my opinion as well. It has 5 designs, all 1000 ton ships. Not the kind that the players will probably own, but ones they might book passage on if they don't have their own ship. I'd rate three of the designs as good, one as interesting, and one as good concept but a broken deck plan.

The FCI consumer's guide is nice too. It's nice as a GM to have a list of equipment that you don't know much about so if your players ask you how much a pair of snow shoes cost, you can have a clue (I certainly wouldn't).

I'd also have to second the positive review of Gamelords' Startown Liberty. One of my all time favorites. Very well written and easy to use. You could spend a couple of game sessions just exploring the local downport using it and have a ton of fun.

Just my thoughts... Have fun with the campaign!!

Back