• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperial Type-S variants

Living areas are still vastly over-sized compared to the design spec, as it is in the original deck plans...
The aft-port compartment is part of Bridge allotment in the original.

In S7 the central living area, plus the rear corridor, not counting the rear work area, is about 30 Dt out of the available 16 Dt "stateroom" space.

My version has similarly oversized living quarters.

Without the extra space the living quarters would just be the bedrooms and a short corridor. All the common areas are freebies...

Hmm, I'm always hardcore about it and don't have 'fudge' space. I usually end up with very small personal bunker space and a reasonable common area, or fairly 'standard' sized staterooms and little multipurpose common areas.

On a practical basis I'm guessing unused cargo space routinely gets turned into extra common/recreation areas.

I prefer to make the ship a little bigger with maintained proportions (almost), say 8 m × 28 m × 40 m, which is just above 100 Dt and much easier to calculate with.

Thus creating yet another Scout variant. Which is cool. Success!

My goal with the height bump was to make the existing T&G plan useable. As it modifies only a number that people were already sure was wrong and produces a valid, if cramped, set of ship details, I think I've succeeded as well.

The great part of this is that it isn't a zero sum process.

Why not just get rid of the "cargo" area and the "attic", but leave the blister for the turret?

It's why I personally gravitate towards the Snapshot scout for the one in T&G … though again I think maybe the Snapshot deckplan has the two other decks. And so do the GT deckplans, or so I recall.

Again, I say lose 'em.

It's why I personally gravitate towards the Snapshot scout for the one in T&G … though again I think maybe the Snapshot deckplan has the two other decks. And so do the GT deckplans, or so I recall.

The Snapshot design pre-dates most exterior art from any source, and has only one deck.

The GT version is putatively a Sulie, so it would have the galleries.

One CT thought about the Type S-
Since it's got 20 tons of bridge, 20% of the tonnage, higher then any other design, I'm figuring two advantages which play big into ScoutThink for why the design and it's desirability through the millennia.

If you recall CT scout ships automatically have that 4x detection range as military ships do. I figure a fair amount of that space is detection array and dedicated electronics processing, cheapest possible platform for science work in peace and ersatz fleet scouting in war.

The second part is heavy automation. The Type S 'flies itself' because of all that extra bridge tonnage part of which is devoted to automatic systems that only require the pilot/engineer. This fits in great with the Courier part of the design as the whole ship can carry 7 passengers/specialized crew at need.

Just something to think about while considering deck plan design. In particular a chunk of bridge space in use as not just nose avionics but arrays around the ship, extra bridge allocated to automation especially engineering and bridge assists, and stateroom/common designs that factor in 8 people and how to keep them sane.

Of course subs were and most still are loaded with people in tight bunking for weeks or maybe months at a time. By nature of jump movement they will normally get off ship time at least twice a month if not more, but there is also jumpspace where there absolutely is no 'surfacing'.

I would tend towards something between SSBN bunkering and Pullman berthing with some sort of nod towards at least two freshers. I'm thinking freshers loom large as 'private space' in such situations. Or maybe you need two for multispecies 'needs', and the non-humanoid factor one ends up as an ersatz prayer/meditation/reading/alone time room.

My goal with the height bump was to make the existing T&G plan useable. As it modifies only a number that people were already sure was wrong and produces a valid, if cramped, set of ship details, I think I've succeeded as well.

Just increasing the height does not do much:

The Snapshot design pre-dates most exterior art from any source, and has only one deck.

The GT version is putatively a Sulie, so it would have the galleries.

Ah, that explains much. When we first picked up Traveller we had the description in the LBBs and Starter Edition, but only had the deckplans in Snapshot, and figured it was a "one story" vessel.

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/images/d/df/GDW_SnapshotScoutDP.png

The revelation that it had two other decks seemed kind of wonky.

Why not just get rid of the "cargo" area and the "attic", but leave the blister for the turret?

That is better, but if we are petty even the main deck pokes out of the hull:
MSiEmYj.png

Cross-section of the hull at the front of the staterooms, just behind the bridge.

The other thing about the type S and its interior spaces is that the bridge and maybe the forward cabins probably have chamfered ceilings; i.e. the forward sections have angled ceilings as per the hull. And I've only ever seen fan renditions of the type-S's underside, never a GDW sanctioned image. Maybe the type-S has a big "Cargo hump" underneath the bridge. I doubt it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, and prefer a sleeker design, but maybe there's a storage area that bulges from underneath the bridge. Think of an F-4 Reconnaissance Phantom with its camera nose.

Hmm, I'm always hardcore about it and don't have 'fudge' space. I usually end up with very small personal bunker space and a reasonable common area, or fairly 'standard' sized staterooms and little multipurpose common areas.

Agreed, I try to do that with my ships, but as this is a version of a standard design...

"in those days", as old men say, deck plans were used for 15 mm miniature combat and to give a scheme of reference as to what was where in narrative segments. I gave up fitting the plans into the art more than thirty years ago, for they have different function. Sometime, like Leviathan (adv IV) the art had no aesthetic pretense and it worked because the peg and he hole were square.
have fun
Selandia

If we keep strictly to design tonnages we can get something like this:

Living areas are much more cramped...

As far as illustrations go, I think that the Type S on page 50 of the "Traveller" book (or page 28 of the "Starter Traveller" book) are of the Intrepid Class (the one that was in the Snapshot game). The one on page 17 of "Supplement 7" (or page 42 of "Starter Traveller"), are interim design between the Intrepid Class and the Sulieman Class -- possibly with the cargo hold and vehicle bay the same as in the Intrepid Class, but with the two other decks of the Sulieman. And the Type S on page 64 of the "Traveller" book (or page 36 of the "Starter Traveller") are of the Sulieman as the deck plans on "Supplement 7" show. Someone will have to come up with a drawing of the new stretched Type S (the "Dilbert Class"?).

As far as illustrations go, I think that the Type S on page 50 of the "Traveller" book (or page 28 of the "Starter Traveller" book) are of the Intrepid Class (the one that was in the Snapshot game). The one on page 17 of "Supplement 7" (or page 42 of "Starter Traveller"), are interim design between the Intrepid Class and the Sulieman Class -- possibly with the cargo hold and vehicle bay the same as in the Intrepid Class, but with the two other decks of the Sulieman. And the Type S on page 64 of the "Traveller" book (or page 36 of the "Starter Traveller") are of the Sulieman as the deck plans on "Supplement 7" show. Someone will have to come up with a drawing of the new stretched Type S (the "Dilbert Class"?).

That doesn't match the art and plans, though.

-The Intrepid (Snapshot) Scout is round-nosed and has only one hatch along the aft surfaces. There is no exterior art that I've ever seen. It is also distinct in having the Engineering compartment protrude aft a bit.
-The Scout depicted on two pages in The Traveller Book has the aft features to match the T&G deckplan: three hatches, including one between the engines and a larger one for the air-raft. This is the design we would later know as the Sulieman. Note the three-planed rear surface.
-The small exterior art on the deckplan page in T&G is clearly of the Judges Guild Scout, and is not a correct match to the deckplan it is with. The JG Scout has only a two-planed rear surface (that the art only sometimes gets right due to tricky perspectives) and only an external maintenance access to Engineering.

This is all really obvious if you have all three plans and available external art to look at.

Someone will have to come up with a drawing of the new stretched Type S (the "Dilbert Class"?).

I tried to maintain the exterior proportions and the rear iris valves and hatches to avoid needing a new exterior design. It should be the same as the S7 Suleiman, just a little bit larger.

I have a somewhat related question to scout ships. Could one of you people "in the know" explain what the thinking was behind the Solomani scout ship configuration?

I mean to me it looks like a knock off of the Star Wars' B-wing fighter, but even so I've never seen any deckplans for the thing, and am wondering if any where ever contemplated.

Back