• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

IMTU: Imperial Armed Forces Uniforms

Reminds me the article by (I think) Paul Elliot that was in Challenge that gave a good look at Imperial Marines and some others.

The one thing that just hit me now: That can't be the Imperium's uniform. Why? Because how many different sophonts are there that are in the Imperium's military? Many - major and minor races. A fair few not easily fit to the human model uniform.

There was once a comic called Alien Legion (it was Legion Etrange in space). It had many types of sophonts and thus every different character had to be fit with armour and weapons appropriate. That led to a lot of different looks. There were some common bits in most cases, but not all (some couldn't or didn't need to wear armour for instance).

I think the Imperium must have that problem in spades.

But, to recognize quality when I see it, you are doing a great job for the humanoform sophonts of the Imperium. :)

Reminds me the article by (I think) Paul Elliot that was in Challenge that gave a good look at Imperial Marines and some others.

The one thing that just hit me now: That can't be the Imperium's uniform. Why? Because how many different sophonts are there that are in the Imperium's military? Many - major and minor races. A fair few not easily fit to the human model uniform.

There was once a comic called Alien Legion (it was Legion Etrange in space). It had many types of sophonts and thus every different character had to be fit with armour and weapons appropriate. That led to a lot of different looks. There were some common bits in most cases, but not all (some couldn't or didn't need to wear armour for instance).

I think the Imperium must have that problem in spades.

But, to recognize quality when I see it, you are doing a great job for the humanoform sophonts of the Imperium. :)
I owned that comic ( 1983-1984 is when It came out), the officer had a snake like body with Humanoid upper body. I have not mastered all the complex anatomy of the many sophonts. I am still working on the digitigrade legs of the Aslan and Vargr.

Isn’t the imperium mostly human?

It makes sense that the standard uniform would be designed around humans.

The tunic is likely to fit Aslan and Vargr with little modifications. As in the British military and uniformed services there’s probably acceptable modifications for race/religion (instead of service dress, turban, Sikh you’d get mess dress, trousers, vargr)

Isn’t the imperium mostly human?

It makes sense that the standard uniform would be designed around humans.

The tunic is likely to fit Aslan and Vargr with little modifications. As in the British military and uniformed services there’s probably acceptable modifications for race/religion (instead of service dress, turban, Sikh you’d get mess dress, trousers, vargr)
TAIL.

Another good source for Army/Marine uniforms is GURPS Traveller: Ground Forces, and Traveller Digest #14 : Imperial Marine Uniforms of the Terran Occupation Forces. Both have a few issues that need to be addressed, but both are good sources.

Then there is always this one:

Imperial Marine Guardsman.JPG

Another good source for Army/Marine uniforms is GURPS Traveller: Ground Forces, and Traveller Digest #14 : Imperial Marine Uniforms of the Terran Occupation Forces. Both have a few issues that need to be addressed, but both are good sources.

Then there is always this one:

View attachment 5261
I like the Uhlans style jacket and the boots are helpful Let me see what I can do. Postscript ( time passed) The Uhlan jacket really isn’t working well. But I did add the imperial stipe on the right breast.

IMG_6770.jpeg.IMG_6772.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the Uhlans style jacket and the boots are helpful Let me see what I can do. Postscript ( time passed) The Uhlan jacket really isn’t working well. But I did add the imperial stipe on the right breast.

View attachment 5262.View attachment 5263

I like this one a lot better. And the belt really sets it off.

One thing: The Army Sunburst is traditionally a Black Sunburst. If necessary, perhaps the Sunburst needs to be on a different colored backing to set it off from the rest of the Uniform? Crimson backing? What do you think? Maybe it doesn't need a different backing color at all?

I like this one a lot better. And the belt really sets it off.

One thing: The Army Sunburst is traditionally a Black Sunburst. If necessary, perhaps the Sunburst needs to be on a different colored backing to set it off from the rest of the Uniform? Crimson backing? What do you think? Maybe it doesn't need a different backing color at all?
Yeah I think I wil use a grey stripe and backing of the sunburst

Attachments

• IMG_6790.jpeg
    IMG_6790.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 9
Are these ODUs?

The GT: Ground Forces specifies all of the Uniform Classes (Utilities, Low Dress/Work Dress, Full Dress, and High/Parade Dress for both Army and Marines.

Traveller Digest #14 : Imperial Marine Uniforms of the Terran Occupation Forces focuses on the Utilities and Low Dress/Work Dress uniforms of the Imperial Marines assigned to the Terran Occupation Force, which tries to create a non-imposing or overbearing presence so as not to incite attitudes of conquered vs. conqueror (after a 100-year occupation). They use shirtsleeve Khakis/Drabs and peaked caps for that particular assignment in normal interaction with Terran civilians.

The picture above first appeared (IIRC) in Traveller Digest #9, p.18 for a member of the Marine Regiment of the Imperial Guards. (though it has appeared and been used subsequently in other contexts elsewhere).

I have a document that I have made that is a modification of a document by Paul Elliott and a fusion of several other sources (including the ones listed above) that I cobbled together. Some excerpts from the document:

(Note that Army below is specified for GFC, not NFC or COACC).

Imperial Army (GT: Ground Forces, with embellishment from other sources):
The Army Dress Jacket is black, with slate-grey trousers. The uniform is trimmed with the soldier's branch colour. Officers have their branch colour bordered by silver threads. The illustrations of Army GFC soldiers show a high-collar jacket with a pocket on each breast, a black imperial sunburst on either red or branch-colour backing on the left or right shoulder sleeve, but some soldiers have unit patches instead. Piping runs down the centre of each sleeve to the cuff. Decorations are worn above the right-chest pocket, a name tag sits over the left-chest pocket. The jacket shoulders have epaulettes which can presumably carry rank, as can the raised collar. The officer or NCO seems to have rank insignia both on his raised collar as well as the cuff.
Low Dress uniforms are worn with skill and unit badges. The Main Dress uniform includes all medals and skill badges, and officers wear their swords. Main Dress is normally only worn by soldiers outside the Regimental Structure. Troops in the regiments usually are authorized Regimental Dress.
Regimental Dress. Individual Regiments also maintain a distinctive Dress-Uniform for their members derived from their home-world military tradition, which varies from Regiment to Regiment based on world-tradition and both cultural and individual unit-history. These uniforms can be of any design, as long as they display the wearer’s rank and unit clearly. Regimental Dress is not a standard item of issue; officers are expected to maintain a set out of their own funds. Enlisted troops rarely bother with the expensive outfit until they reach staff sergeant. Some troops will be issued a set for a special duty such as a funeral procession. The Sylean Rangers mark their unit identity with a crimson beret bearing a golden badge with the legend “First to the Fight, Last from the Field.”
Working Dress - "Utilities" (called "slops" by the Army) is a durable black tunic and grey breeches/trousers with many pockets and black tactical boots. It will sometimes be issued in different coloration patterns depending upon local environment.

Imperial Marines
Imperial Marines use a Maroon Sunburst instead of Black, and wear black/charcoal-grey trousers with black jacket for Full Dress ("Dress Black") and Undress ("Undress Black"), and have both a centerline-button and front left-side torso button variant. Parade Dress ("Dress Maroon") consists of a maroon jacket with black kilt, or alternatively with black or white trousers. A maroon or black beret with maroon-sunburst on black or gold is normally worn with all dress, or olive-green with gold-sunburst on black in the case of Commandos. Parade dress normally includes hackles on the beret. Working Dress - "Utilities" (called "utilities" by the Marines) is a durable black tunic and grey breeches/trousers with many pockets and black tactical boots. It will sometimes be issued in different coloration patterns depending upon local environment. Ship-Duty Suit is similar to the Imperial Navy single-piece duty-suit, but with black-upper/grey-lower and higher tactical-styled boots. A Body Pressure Sleeve is standard issue equipment as well.

@MeteoricAssault: BTW I think what you have done above is a great base uniform piece. The stripe w/ Sunburst is perfect, and the belt really sets it off. If you can manage to do a front left-side torso button variant ("Class-B Dress Uniform") that you are happy with, that would be great too.

Back