• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Interested in a Traveller-inspired video game?

To me it seems you are retaining the grognardy CT idea of Traveller as a ruleset AND OTU as its only "official campaign in-that game, percolating all future versions.
But this is all moot in terms of some kind of video game.

While, for example, CT can be boiled down to "6 2D6 characteristics, 8+ for success", this does not a video game make.

If you ran, say, an "Aliens" themed video game with these mechanics, it would be an "Aliens" game, not a Traveller game. If you did an "SG-1" themed video game with these mechanics, it would be an "SG-1" game, not a Traveller game.

It's not that mechanics don't matter, they do. Video gamers "game" game mechanics to their advantage. The "theorycrafters" spend great effort working out mechanics. Players will take videos of gameplay, and count frames to see the effects of their choices.

That said, video game players don't play for mechanics. In a tabletop game mechanics are very important because players are immersed in them, they ponder every roll, fixate on being "10.1 meters back, thus I'm medium range!", standing "to the right of the door with just my pistol barrel out, peaking", etc. As players we have times to contemplate every micro action.

Meanwhile, say, in Diablo 3, I just killed 500 monsters in 2 minutes that threw everything at me from fire, to lighting, to huge swinging axes. My interest in mechanics is at a very high level.

In Baldurs Gate, which is an "authentic D&D" experience, you get to make D&D decisions, place your characters, etc. But even though those details are there, as a player, they're less important than making your way through the story. I didn't go out and buy a Players Handbook to better understand how to play the characters, I just played them.

Similarly, over time, the World of Warcraft combat system and mechanics has changed in fundamental ways since the beginning. Yet, the game is still WoW, and the world is what keeps the players coming back.

Simply, there well may be a selection of the player base that is keenly interested in mechanics, specifically, Traveller mechanics.

But most players don't care. They just want agency, they want to improve their characters, and take on bigger monsters, and be immersed in a cool world. The only time players are really interested in mechanics is when they detect unbalanced systems.

This is why, way back, when some friends were trying to get a RPG group together, I told the DM simply "If we weren't killing monsters within 15m of sitting down, I'm not interested". We hadn't played anything in a long time, I wasn't interested in reading 100 pages of rules, I would have been fine being handed a pre-rolled character. How can I make any decisions until we've played and got some dice under our belts. But also, because the mechanics are secondary to the storytelling and action.

Back in the day, I played in a Traveller game at a convention. The premise was that there was some labor strife, and we were essentially body guards for someone of importance. Do you know what I remember about that game? I remember taking a boat to an island. I remember a protest there where we crammed the guy into the back of a car, only to have someone slap an explosive on the rear window and us scrambling out. I remember goons crashing through a hospital window, guns blazing. I remember some reporter running up clutching at the notepad in his jacket pocket getting gunned down because by that time, the team was really on edge.

You know what I don't remember? Any of the dice rolls. None of the "game play". This game moved very quickly, I assume we rolled dice, but honestly, it didn't matter. In the end, we could have used any game system that had a table with a revolver on it. The story was great.

However, best mechanics in the world can't save a bad story.

Back