• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Is there a way we can get conversions from 1st Edition?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I'm wondering if there's any way that we can get all of the NPCs, Creatures, Equipment, and Robots/Drones from 1st Edition Core Rulebook updated to Mongoose v2?

Or do they just work without any conversion?

And anything from the first Version 2 Core Rulebook? I know Creatures are different in the Update.

I guess I'm asking if there can be an add-on for the Core Rulebook type of thing?

NPCs work pretty much without conversion. Just remember some skills are now cascade skills under Electronics instead of independent and you're good.

Equipment is compatible except for armor, and even then you just use the newer version's rules instead. I see there's a new version of Central Supply Catalog out now but I think at first people were still using the old CSC, it wasn't their first release in the new line.

Robots I'm not up on, but there's a 2e Robot Handbook out. Not cheap in print unfortunately.

The biggest thing with creatures was the move to a single Hits pool instead of tracking all stats like for a character. It looks to me like adding 1e Str + End gets you to 2e Hits Pool (ignore Dex). And if that's not exactly right you'll be close enough. Aside from that, even when the two methods might output different results they're not so different you need to apply a conversion formula to one.

Overall, 2e was mostly a lot of little changes. Fixes to ship shares, the trading table, how armor worked, adding boon/bane to die rolls, adding the points system to ship's power, others. I don't think a convenient master list of conversion notes is coming. It would have by now if it was. And really many things on the same scale, so as with creatures you wouldn't actually apply a fixed formula to get different numbers the way you might if there had been more drastic changes to the game.

But none of the above is official. Posting on the Mongoose forums gets you better odds of that.

Back