• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jaen/Cruis Margin 2921 Landgrab quick writeup

Qstor2

SOC-13
This is based on the UWP in Gateway to Destiny. I based the system design on GT: First In. Helpful comments before submission are welcome

thanks Mike

EDIT: I made a few more changes and fixed the starport info.

- - - - -
Jaen

Jaen/Cruis Margin 2921 E557759-7, GT Far Trader WTN 4

Starport - A primitive facility with a concrete landing pad set up and repair capacity

Size – 5,000 mile diameter

Atmosphere - Standard oxygen nitrogen mix atmosphere

Hydrographics – 70% of the world is covered by oceans

Population 30 million people

Government - Feudal Technocracy

Law Level – can’t posses a firearm outside of one’s home

Tech Level – 7

Planetary System. Jaen is the 2nd planet orbiting a G6V main sequence yellow star. The star has a companion star M2V a red dwarf.

Small moon (10-2000 miles diameter)
Large moon (2000 miles diameter-60, 000 miles diameter)

Planet/ AU’s from Star
1st planet (Tallkos) .692
Jaen 1.04
(1 small moon)
Asteroid Belt 1.74
(Jaen IV) 4th Planet 3.148
(7,400 miles in diameter, frigid desert like planet 1 large moon)
(Jaen IV) 5th Planet 5.9966
(Ice covered rockball, 9,5000 miles in diameter, 2 large moons)
6th planet - Gas Giant 11.59
(114, 000 miles in diameter, 5 small moons, 1 large moon)
7th planet- Gas Giant 2.74
(135,000 diameter, 11 small moons, 3 larger ones)
8th – planet Gas Giant 45.14
(98,000 diameter, 8 small moons, 2 large moons)

Tallkos Y100000-0
Jaen
1 - Moon H100000-7
Belt Y100000-0
Jaen IV Y911000-0
Large GG
Large GG

Government - The Jaenian Agricultural Council who promotes the food and planet life exports that are key to the planetary economy runs the planet. The Council is composed of tweleve members of the large Agricultural Guilds that grow the crops that make up the largest source of income for the planet. The other three members are members of other large corporations, which rotate seats every six years. Guild leadership is hereditary and often is tied to past family mechanical, scientific or economic expertise. Government censors moderate control planetary communication and the InfoNet to promote the views of the government. The government sets price controls for food and consumer goods. There is no standing army and a security/police force handles most disputes, which mostly involve crimes.

History – Jaen is a backwater world in the Cruis Margin sector. Human settlers both of Vilani and Solomani descent reached the planet during the Rule of Man many years before the Long Night came and with the Long Night the planetary tech level dropped. The first settlers came here because of the climate, the near Earthlike atmosphere and large water percentage. The advanced farm equipment that they brought soon became a key part of their livelihood and the key to day-to-day life. The hundreds of acres of farmland soon covered a good percentage of the land. Petrochemical deposits were also discovered but the agricultural council controlled their exploitation. The Jaenian Agricultural Council promotes the food and plant life exports that are key to the planetary economy. The first members of the Council as planetary legend has it; were a few of the settler’s mechanics and one of the ship captains. The mechanics were vital to keeping the agricultural machinery running.

The large white tupella flowers and the yellow-green halmenta fruit (which is similar in taste and texture to the Terran apple) are two of the main exports of the planet. The local farmers also grow Terran onions, potatoes and cabbages. Several indigenous wildlife species have been bred for commercial production. The oceans are home to a variety of marine life, which is harvested for protein for the world’s population. Petrochemical deposits have recently been discovered in a relatively shallow portion of a large ocean about 120 miles southeast of the capital city.
Ninolv is the capital city and the largest city on the planet, with a population of 400,000 people. Ninolv sits along the shores of a large ocean. The capital city as well as other large cities on the planet are assembly of buildings where people live and work. Schools, non-argricultural employment places and entainment complexes are all interconnected. The cities are linked by a high speed rail system. Shipments of cargo are aslo moved by rail and trucks.

Ninolv is also home to the world’s starport. The starport is a downport outside the city limits and is patrolled by the council guard to prevent outsiders from causing disturbances while mercants load and unload their goods. A concrete slab, a fence, and a small police/customs office are all that makes up the Starport. A high speed rail station sits a just a mile from the starport.

The Mercantile Concord is the planets largest trading partner in the subsector. Complaints from their merchants about the primitiveness of the starport facilities are often heard offworld. The Concord sends only a single Far Trader each month to the starport. However, the demand for higher tech manufactored goods and the supply for the flowers and the halmenta fruit are steady. Reports have even reached to the Ten Thousand Worlds, which is rumored to be interested in sending an investigatory trading mission to the world.
The planetary government has been sending probes to the gas giants in the outer system. Recently the government has established a manned base on the planetary moon. The spaceships are powered by liquid oxygen rockets. The government has also recently negotiated an agreement with a mining company from the Mercantile Concord to explore for minerals in the systems planetary belt.
The Planetary government has had many years of successful trade relations with the Mercantile Concord and has in the past sent key government officals to the Concords home world for training and good will missions.

The average main planetary temperature is 47 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can I try to apply this data to my new landgrab packet? My company is in the "playtest" stage for it, and I would like to use it as an example. Ok?

It can be done by monday. Shoot me a PM and I'll email it to you.

Ok, It's ready.

It has:

A Cover:

1JAENCover.gif

System Map
Planet Map (still needs some names for places)
Export Good Cards (2 Sheets)
Two Pages of the text above formatted
A Jaenian Agri Council Logo (png)
A Jaenina Agri Council Chatboard Icon (png)
It is in color.

It is a 13.6 MB zip file, with all pages as individual pdfs. It is formatted for the computer screen, not a book. It can be printed, as a landscape book.

Question: Do the Jaenians have ships? I see probes mentioned, and these should be designed of course.

NOTE: It says 5.00, and it also says "Traveller", but it is NOT a Liscenced Service yet. (I hope it soon will be, If I can get hold of Marc) Consider this a theoretical, and of course, its free.

Qstor2 and milord Baron, a suggestion for you...

While obviously, for marketability, you would present this product in a format that supports BOTH using the information in the mentioned setting (Crusis Margin, 2921) AND the ability for a referree to place the planet anywhere he wants/needs -- as a small caveat to the data for using this planet in Crusis Margin 2921, I would suggest making a small mention of how this planet interacts with it's nearest neighbors. Say, any planet in Crusis margin that is withion 1 Jump of Jaen.

Nothing extensive! maybe just a paragraph saying what, if any, on-going trasde may exist with these worlds & Jaen. Are there any "established" Trade Routs between Jaen and it's neighbors? Does the planet have "good relations" with any/all of its neighbors (obviously not, but do any of the nearby planets have ideas to CHANGE the Agricultural Councils minds?)

Obviously the product must present the information in such a way that it can be used as a "stand alone" product. But for those who DO choose to use the established setting, I think it would be nice to se this kind of "integration" into the wider -- or at least nearby -- established TU.

Exactly , there should be some method of design freedom for the grabber. You are absolutely right, Lord Vince, the cluster Jaen is in looks pretty hopping.

The description should be "brass tacks" enough to make the grabbed worl a "place" but also inclusive enough to add features and future expansions at any time by the Grabber. From an outside view, Jaen is important, as it exports several Staples. That alone can have far reaching effects.

Originally posted by Lord Vince:
Qstor2 and milord Baron, a suggestion for you...

While obviously, for marketability, you would present this product in a format that supports BOTH using the information in the mentioned setting (Crusis Margin, 2921) AND the ability for a referree to place the planet anywhere he wants/needs -- as a small caveat to the data for using this planet in Crusis Margin 2921, I would suggest making a small mention of how this planet interacts with it's nearest neighbors. Say, any planet in Crusis margin that is withion 1 Jump of Jaen.

Nothing extensive! maybe just a paragraph saying what, if any, on-going trasde may exist with these worlds & Jaen. Are there any "established" Trade Routs between Jaen and it's neighbors? Does the planet have "good relations" with any/all of its neighbors (obviously not, but do any of the nearby planets have ideas to CHANGE the Agricultural Councils minds?)

Obviously the product must present the information in such a way that it can be used as a "stand alone" product. But for those who DO choose to use the established setting, I think it would be nice to se this kind of "integration" into the wider -- or at least nearby -- established TU.
Thanks for the suggestions, I edited it a bit and will add more later.

Btw I wasn't thinking of marketing it at ALL. Maybe just posting it to TravellerCentral's Landgrab area.

thanks

Mike

Me too. This isn't a module, I am developing a design format package for landgrabs. I am not expecting anyone to "buy" something like this but the grabber. Even then, I still expect nothing. This is more service than product. It is a new thing, so I understand the confusion.

I am sorry if there is a feeling of being co-opted or something, but I need practical exercises at formatting. Sorry for the mixup.

The Tech level 7 SEV from the .pdf Golden Age Starships 3, would probably be good to use for the ships sponsored by the government.

Mike

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Don't have it. What is an SEV? A rocket? Is there an analog in today's Space projects in RL?
Space Exploration Vehicle, IIRC its based on the ESA and Apollo program "spaceships"

Mike

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
[qb] How do you want it to look? Similar to that? How big are they, tonnage wise? Are they bought from a higher tech world, or somehow produced on Jaen?
Nice job! Those look great. The ships would be made on Jaen.

Mike

Just a quick word of caution. Don't forget that with a Class E starport, there is NOT much offworld activity here. If a planet just has a cement slab, then how much trade is really going to be going on? Obviously the WTN gives you some clue, but don't let that slab of concrete do too much.

BTW, love the writeup.

Nice start to a landgrab! I like the export goods cards. The government/history image is just a bit small for comfortable reading in this environment.

Thanks, for the helpful comments all.

I'm going to make a few more changes over the weekend. With some notes from the tables on customs and society from the DGP World Builders handbook and the UWP profile data for the planets in system.

Nice work Baron!

Mike

I see in the good Baron's write-up that he addresses the starport issue that I meantioned on the last page. Forget I said anything...

Love the Writeup!

Originally posted by Plankowner:
I see in the good Baron's write-up that he addresses the starport issue that I meantioned on the last page. Forget I said anything...

Love the Writeup!
I started it :D

Mike

Back