• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Just what exactly is a G?

Originally posted by Bhoins:
I never said the ISS was the best way to go. I personally loved the idea of using Shuttle Fuel tanks as the basis for a space station. However as far as manned exploration, (and in reality, isn't that the whole point, to get people there?) it is, for now, the only game in town.
Well... no. Fact is, it's a lot cheaper (and safer) to explore using unmanned spacecraft. If you want manned exploration you need a whole load of extra mass for life support and habitation, you need to worry about keeping the occupants healthy through the very long trips, you a lot of cargo space to be used for food and supplies to keep them going, you need oxygen tanks etc...

Compare this to an unmanned vehicle, which needs none of the above, and can still return most of the data that we need. Look at the Spirit and Opportunity Mars rovers - they may be slow, but they've covered a lot of ground and have told us a lot about the Martian surface. Yes, a human geologist could have done that... but it would have cost many tens of billions of dollars to get him there, compared to the few hundred million it cost for each rover.

Plus, space travel is incredibly hazardous (particularly when agencies in NASA take shortcuts that comprimise the safety and integrity of their vehicles). Space is a very, VERY deadly place. It's romanticised in scifi, but there are so many things that could kill a human out there it's ridiculous - one thing going wrong, and you're toast. Much like deep sea exploration - we haven't done much of that with manned vehicles for a similar reason: it's expensive, not very cost-effective, and dangerous. Far better to lose an unmanned vehicle than a manned one.

In terms of cost-effectiveness and safety, unmanned is clearly the way to go. We can still explore, but it's not as if we'd ever be able to feel the martian air blowing in our faces or its sand running through our fingers because we'd be protected by suits anyway. That being the case, what does looking at the place with our own eyes tell us that looking at it with an array of much more sensitive cameras and sensors relayed back to Earth doesn't?

(Like the tag line says, it isn't the best Space Station, it is the only one.) Personally I was hoping by now we would have a permament presence on the moon and the Terra High Port, ala Arthur C. Clarke, would be operational. With exploitation of the Asteroid belt being the next planned step and truly beginning over the next 20 years.
Yeah well, I feel we've been denied a promised future here too. But in the current regime (by which I mean, attitudes toward space science from governments since the 1970s) it ain't gonna happen. I'd be surprised if we had any of that - or even a manned moonbase - by 2100.

Without a decent working Space Station manned trips to the rest of the solar system are more theory than practise. The ISS isn't the end of it but it is at least a start. It would be much easier to get to and from the moon and to and from the belt from orbit than from the ground.
The ISS is good for nothing - it was supposed to be a place where science experiments could be conducted but it's not even good for that. It's not an orbital spacedock or spaceship construction facility - that in itself would be an engineering marvel far beyond anything we have today. I'm not sure it would be that much easier to get to the moon - it's only 350 km up, the earth's gravity at the station is only 1 m/s2 lower than at the surface (it's low gravity in the station only because it's in freefall in orbit around the planet). So a ship launched from there would still have to climb out of a significant gravity well there. (I think).

Isn't manned exploration and eventual exploitation the whole point?
Maybe... but you're expecting that we should run before we walk? Realistically, that's not going to happen for centuries.

After all without actually going there it is all just pretty theories
Shows how little you know about it then. We can tell a LOT about other worlds and stars from data gathered by unmanned vehicles - probably much more than we'd ever be able to tell by simply being there for the sake of it. And besides, even if we were there, that certainly doesn't mean we'd automatically be able to understand what's there - there'd still be plenty of those "pretty theories" that you so derogatively refer to.

and anything outside the atmosphere that doesn't negatively impact the atmosphere and biosphere of this planet simply doesn't really matter.
For someone supposedly with big dreams of getting up into space, that's a remarkably short-sighted, ignorant, and contradictory statement. In one statement you've written off all of space science and astronomy and astrophysics as a complete waste of time. But how do you think the people that you want to see up there in space will know anything about the environments they're in. Just by guesswork? That they'll figure it out when they get there? How very forward-thinking that would be. How do you think we're going to spot the next asteroid that's going to hit us if everything outside the atmosphere "doesn't really matter"?

Space exploration appears to hit certain positive notes with Americans more so than elsewhere. It triggers that pioneer spirit that appears almost to be programmed at the genetic level of those of us here in the States. It fires the imagination.
Yet to most people, it's just pretty pictures that they're fed by the PR. Most people in the US don't care about space exploration - they have more directly pressing issues to worry about. And for all that 'firing of the imagination', I dare say a lot of people would say a lot of it is about showing off technological prowess. Certainly, men didn't go to the moon for science, they did it to beat the Soviets. In fact, after men first go to the moon, the Apollo program only lasted 6 more missions (one of which - Apollo 13 - didn't get there) to finally do some actual SCIENCE before the whole thing was scrapped. And in the 32 years since Apollo 17 launched from the moon, men haven't walked on another world. In fact, NASA would have to reinvent all the technologies, since most of the people behind it have long since retired or died. In fact, I've even heard that the blueprints for Saturn V have been lost.

Note I am not attempting to state that we are the only pioneers, or that we have the only interest, just an opinion that from appearance we seem to be driven by that pioneer spirit as a culture more so than most other cultures currently inhabiting this rock we call Earth. After all America, and especially the US was founded by the rabble rousers, the pioneers and other people of Europe that had a serious case of wanderlust. Seeking what was beyond that horizon. Perhaps it is a genetic flaw passed down through the generations, but it is a strong drive. And it hasn't had much time to get diluted, after all we have only been here for 300 years and only been a country for just over 200 years)
With all due respect, I think you have an overly-romantic view of your country. You certainly don't have anywhere near a monopoly on "pioneer spirit" - people of all creeds and colours are interested in space. And you certainly don't have some 'genetic tendency' toward exploration. You merely have the funds and the means to do it, and to pull out of space now would be politically a bad idea because enough people on the ground ARE interested in it. Considering the reason you went up there in the first place (in a contest between a rival superpower, who in fact got up there before you did) it would look bad if you did pull out completely. The sad thing is that the bottom line for all space exploration is that it's definitely a luxury that will only continue because the richest blocs can afford to do it. And there's no small element of 'cock-waving' (sorry, can't think of another less naughty phrase for it) involved too. There's a big element of national pride - look at China getting their first guy into space on their own spacecraft.

But certainly, there's nothing unique about America's urge to explore space. The Europeans have it, the Japanese have it, the Chinese are getting it, and the Soviets had it. All of those blocs explore(d) space because they can AFFORD to. Even the Brazilians and Indians are getting interested (they're certainly interested in LEO satellites). You're confusing your ancestors 'pioneer spirit' for natural human curiosity, which everyone shares across the world.

Mal: you are missing the one, and really only, viable reason for leaving Earth:

until we have permanent off-world self-sustaining populations, we are one rock from extinct.

no better reason for manned explorations (to develop the tech needed for off-world populations) exists: survival.

Mal,
Sorry, I am not taking the bait. The topic is already well off on a tangent. I see no need to rise to the baiting.
Have a nice day.

While we have probably been denied a promising future, I don't think we can blame government for that. We have no one but our parents and ourselves to blame.

Consider the following:

In 1969, when the first moon landing was conducted, EVERYONE watched with rapt attention. Everyone can name the first person to walk on the moon. Most can name the second, and many can name the guy stuck in the orbiter.

However, the second moon mission received a lot less attention, and the third received virtually NO press until it ran into trouble. The remaining three missions also had little fanfare, and the last mission was scrapped. Can anyone name any of thsoe other astronauts without watching the Apollo 13 movie first? Probably not.

Few people can name any of the space missions that have been conducted in the past couple decades, aside from Voyager 2 (and people then realize there must be a Voyager 1), and maybe Pioneer 10 since it's the furthest manmade object.

In the 30's, people had a voracious appetite for science fiction, which led to lots and lots of scientists in the 50's coming up with things that STILL seem advanced to us today. Things like ion engines, various kinds of nuclear engines (from bombs to nuclear salt-water engines). Only in the last decade or so have we really started to CONCEIVE of better technologies, like warp drives (as recently as the 80's and 90's, mentioning the term would brand you a Trekkie with no concept of reality) and wormholes through 10-dimensional space.

And we still have yet to build something better than a chemical rocket to get stuff off the Earth. This is also in part the fault of people being careless with nuclear power in its early years, and things like 3 Mile Island still haunt nuclear power, which would otherwise be much more widely used otherwise.

But for the most part, it is public opinion and public interest that has been at fault, and I'm sure NASA screwing stuff up now and then doesn't help, but I can't blame them too much because they get such a tiny budget and are deathly afraid to lose it.

I don't know that we need a beanstalk on earth just yet; what if it breaks? What if some bleeding heart moron says it shouldn't be well protected by the Navy in the middle of the ocean and some jerk decides to screw it up? Something like tht falling to earth would be a massive disaster. (Maybe we should build it in the Indian Ocean, so that the people most likely to try to knock it down would also be the people most likely to reap the destruction from it if they do?) But we do need a better way to launch craft than chemical rockets. There are perfectly safe uses for nuclear technology to employ in this regard, one of the cooler ones being a nuclear-lightbulb-powered thruster that could probably be built today.

But until people's attitudes change toward the space program, we aren't going to make much progress. China^h^h^h^h^hBush has at least given us a clear goal of getting to Mars by 2020, and that may help, but we shouldn't forgo unmanned missions, which are cheap and effective for what we have them do.

All in all, we need more space money and fewer grants to ind out stupid things like why children are so inept and hurt themselves so much (and yes, the conclusion of that multi-million dollar project was as obvious as you think it is).

The Metric Wars

After the Terran Pacification campaign, Pax Europa, and the worldwide adoption of System Internationale, finally it is possible for humanite' to surge starward, unemcumbered by inchiness, or poundiness. With a unified system of measurement, no more would space shuttles burn, or Mars probes power in, unable to communicate with their metric brethren. Metricite', Egalite, Fraternite', the battle cry, or pax cry, du jour!

Sadly, the first Jump to another star found ANOTHER decadent warmongering Empire, with it's own Imperial units of measure. No doubt, the real reason that the Imperium remained only tech 11 after a THOUSAND YEARS of stasis was the lack of Metricite'. It was obvious to any intelligent Terran, that the only salvation for the human race in space is System Interstellar.

The crusade begins, and the rest is OTU.

Pray the Divine we never encounter a race which counts hexadecimally. The ten fold way is ours, but the same advantages claimed for it would extend to the Hexans, would the not. (Do Hivers use base hex? Scary.)

Things in print always seem harsher than intended. I am laughing as I type this, I fight the rearguard, reactionary fight, FOR THE SAKE OF HUMOR, tongue firmly in cheek. Metricite' has won the struggle for System Universale', but for reasons economique - we can sell stuff to the SI world if we make 'em metric.

You Brits, though, damned if I understand you not at least cheering on the underdog trying to maintain the last vestige of British Imperialism. You gave up India, but if you'll give up the inch, you'll give up the mile.

Add /gas/ petrol, strike match. I really do love you guys, laugh with me, please.

sojourner, candidate for combustion.

Heh! :)

"You Brits, though, damned if I understand you not at least cheering on the underdog trying to maintain the last vestige of British Imperialism."

Oh, trust me, there are plenty of people over here still fighting to keep Imperial units. And don't mention the Euro, whatever you do...

Originally posted by Aramis:

until we have permanent off-world self-sustaining populations, we are one rock from extinct.

no better reason for manned explorations (to develop the tech needed for off-world populations) exists: survival.
While that's a good reason, unfortunately governments (and most humans) don't think that way. It's a very low risk situation. If you say "we have to get off this rock or we'll all die when then next asteroid hits" the response will be "and when will that happen? Not in my election term. Why should we spend so much money on something that in all likelihood won't happen for centuries?".

It's a very short-sighted response, but the fact is, the people in charge would rather stick their heads in the sand than support this.

But mark my words, when a small rock DOES actually hit us and kill millions, THEN people will be going "damn, we really have to get people off Earth". It's always the way - politicians don't as to solve problems until they've already happen.

Oh yeah, Bhoins - I'm not baiting you, I'm responding to your points. If you refuse to respond to that, then all that indicates to me is that your arguments are somewhat flawed and you don't want to accept that. Whatever *shrug*.

In order to build viable permanent off-world colonies, you need tech which is more than sufficient to make sure that big rock never hits us. In fact, that tech is more than sufficient to do a number of other things which would make off world colonies less important -- for example, the tech required to terraform Mars could also reverse global warming, fix the ozone layer, etc.

Hardly, Anthony. You need simply modern technology (biospheres are doable, we just have not scaled them up satisfactorily), and the will to experiment, and a willingness to experiment on a grand scale.

Why do we not have underwater cities? No political will.
Why do we not have large scale commuter integration? A lack of political will.
Why do we still burn non-renewable hydrocrabons when we could be burning much easier to obtain and renewable alcohol? A lack of political will.

Why do we use Imperial units in much of american life? A lack of political will.

We have already got microbes which should be able to convert the Venusian atmosphere to something tolerable. We have more than adequate tech to get them there. Why not? Because it would violate international law. A form of "Lacking the political will to do so."

Perhaps there is just no ROI ?
Political will normaly gets motivated by ROI

Hardly, Anthony. You need simply modern technology (biospheres are doable, we just have not scaled them up satisfactorily), and the will to experiment, and a willingness to experiment on a grand scale.
We have no evidence that biospheres are, in fact, doable with current tech, and my definition of self-sustaining is more complete than that in any case (my minimum definition involves a self-sustaining tech base). In any case, all you really need to deflect giant rocks is large quantities of spacelift, which is also what you need for any form of space colonization.
Why do we not have underwater cities? No political will.

More to the point, we don't have people willing to go to the expense and inconvenience of living underwater. You'll notice that Antarctica and Greenland are both clearly livable with modern technology, and yet they are very minimally populated.
Why do we not have large scale commuter integration? A lack of political will.
Why do we still burn non-renewable hydrocrabons when we could be burning much easier to obtain and renewable alcohol? A lack of political will.

Alcohol is not easier to obtain (excluding taxes, ethanol is more expensive than gasoline), and using modern farming methods it's not really renewable either, since it has a considerable cost in soil depletion. It's also an inferior motor fuel, as it has substantially lower energy content than oil.
Why do we use Imperial units in much of american life? A lack of political will.

We have already got microbes which should be able to convert the Venusian atmosphere to something tolerable.

Laugh! No, we don't. We may have microbes which can bind CO2, but they require water, which Venus doesn't have. If we could come up with a 10% efficient anhydrous solar powered life form which could float in the atmosphere, replicated efficiently, and bound CO2, we could terraform Venus in somewhere around 500 years, but frankly, that's not anything we'll have in the near future (that's at the Insanely Optimistic Nanotech level).

Perhaps there is just no ROI ?
Political will normaly gets motivated by ROI
No short term ROI.

Corporations and fascist governments both concentrate on short term return. What increases shareholder value NOW rather then in the long term.

The risk statement - eventually sol3 will be made unliveable - makes the mitigation of the risk a priority. The time on the risk statement is difficult to determine. If a slatewiper asteroid hits earth tommorow there isn't a lot we can do about it. Other causes of uninhabitableness (Biosphere degradation, nuke war) are a little easier to mark the passage of.

You silly, silly people. "Imperial" units are wonderful for those of us who don't carry a tape measure around. My foot is about a foot long (30+ cm is too hard to remember. From my thumb to my nose (head turned the other way) is about a yard (yes, it's also about a meter, but that is pure luck). 6 feet is tall - 2 meters is damn tall (no offense Bhoins).

Also, I like fractions for everyday life. 1/2 of a foot is 6 inches. Yeah, 1/2 of a meter is easy, but how about 1/3. Or 1/6. A quarter of a pound is 4 oz. A quarter of a kg is .25 -
A mile is easily convertible to yards, as 5280 is divisible by 3.

As far as knots, those are based on a great system, the nautical mile. Since the world is divided up (on nautical and air charts) by degrees and minutes (and seconds), it is easy to figure out your speed west or east. Just count the number of minutes (or degrees and multiply by 60) you have traveled in the alloted time, and that is your speed in nautical miles per whatever. And the number is normally rounded to 6000 feet per NM, so it is "decimal" and, yet, not metric.
(Oh crap, did I just inadvertantly start a discussion of the efficacy of radians?! Aaaarrrgh!)

Seriously, one interesting thing about the metric system is that the kilometer is based on flawed measurements. "The Measure of All Things : The Seven-Year Odyssey and Hidden Error That Transformed the World" is a really interesting read. It explains the whole mission to map out the meridian used to define the meter (it was not originally based on any universally identifiable constant, but on the length of a meridian through Paris), and the problems it encountered through the course of the French Revolution. (I know this doesn't really defend Imperial units, except to say that at least everybody admits those are somewhat arbitrary.)

This thread is a fun read.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
As far as knots, those are based on a great system, the nautical mile. Since the world is divided up (on nautical and air charts) by degrees and minutes (and seconds), it is easy to figure out your speed west or east.
That's going to be fun if we get to other worlds, where the distance corresponding to one degree/one minute at the equator are different because of the different size of the world...

Originally posted by Fritz88:
You silly, silly people. "Imperial" units are wonderful for those of us who don't carry a tape measure around. My foot is about a foot long (30+ cm is too hard to remember. From my thumb to my nose (head turned the other way) is about a yard (yes, it's also about a meter, but that is pure luck). 6 feet is tall - 2 meters is damn tall (no offense Bhoins).
None taken. I know I am tall. Though too short, for my little bit of talent, to play basketball for a living.

Face it all units of measure are arbitrary. My favorite though is how the "Metric system is so superior but constantly misused. Using Kilograms for weight or force instead of the intended, mass. I think it was posted on here that something had so many thousand KG of thrust?

6 feet is tall - 2 meters is damn tall.
I'd have to say that 6 feet is medium verging on small. Everything depends on perspective.

I come from a large family where the shortest member is 180cm (5'11"), I'm 197cm (6'5") or so.

I've noticed that I find it very hard to accurately judge how tall someone is who is very different from your own height, but by comparisson someone near the same height is very easy to accurately guess. I have a pet theory that it has to do with neck flex angle, up is up, down is down, and only accurate for near equal values.

"...Just count the number of minutes (or degrees and multiply by 60) you have traveled in the alloted time, and that is your speed..."

So nMiles get shorter as you reach higher latitudes and travel along a parallel? :)

Being able to divide by factors other than 2 and 5 is a good reason for base 12 number. We don't do that because counting on fingers gets difficult.

Originally posted by veltyen:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />6 feet is tall - 2 meters is damn tall.
I'd have to say that 6 feet is medium verging on small. Everything depends on perspective.

I come from a large family where the shortest member is 180cm (5'11"), I'm 197cm (6'5") or so.

I've noticed that I find it very hard to accurately judge how tall someone is who is very different from your own height, but by comparisson someone near the same height is very easy to accurately guess. I have a pet theory that it has to do with neck flex angle, up is up, down is down, and only accurate for near equal values.
</font>[/QUOTE]Since less than 5% of the human population is over 6'4" I would have to say that no matter how tall you are 6'5" is still tall.

Originally posted by womble:
"...Just count the number of minutes (or degrees and multiply by 60) you have traveled in the alloted time, and that is your speed..."

So nMiles get shorter as you reach higher latitudes and travel along a parallel? :)

Being able to divide by factors other than 2 and 5 is a good reason for base 12 number. We don't do that because counting on fingers gets difficult.
Using the same logic NMiles would get longer the higher your altitude as well.

Back