• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Lets Just write it already

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pierce_Inverarity:
Much as I'd like to agree with you, there's a poll on this very site that contradicts your statement. Only 10% of the pollees are genuine first-timers who got to know Traveller through T20. The briefest look at the ENWorld boards will tell us that, your assertions to the contrary, T20's not exactly a hot topic in the d20 community. A few of them like it, and that's that.
You do realise that polls of online communities provide no useful indication at all of what's really going on, right? Only a small proportion of roleplayers take part in online discussion boards, and they are not representative of the entire roleplaying population. So I'd take any polls on any online site with a considerable pinch of salt. </font>[/QUOTE]I cited a poll with 250+ votes and the absence of any sustained interest in T20 on ENWorld in support of my argument. You in turn have given us zero evidence so far for the supposed popularity of T20 in the d20 community. Garcon! A ton of salt for table five!

T. Foster made a number of really good points. Personally, I'd agree with Marc Miller who said in an interview on this very website that MT was a huge improvement over CT because, well, it actually had a workable *task resolution system*. It seems to me that when people talk about T5, what they really want (LBB sentimentality notwithstanding) is not a modified CT (modified how?), but simply MT with all the errata incorporated and maybe tweaked here and there. I don't see anything wrong with that.

But if it's a question of an all-new shiny T5, a la D&D 3E, then I'd agree it's extremely desirable but unrealistic. And not just for financial reasons. Gygax couldn't have made the fresh start that was 3E. It took a Jonathan Tweet to do that. Personally, I'd LOVE to see what Tweet or somebody like him would do with Traveller. But never mind that no one could afford to pay a guy like that: would MWM ever hand over the reins to somebody else?

Originally posted by daryen:
The question I keep wondering about when I look at the various T5 arguments is this: Has anyone looked at the draft material?

I keep seeing people talk about CT, MT, and the rest, but the draft material is completely consistent on one important point: T5, if it ever appears, will be completely based on T4. You know, that one system I almost NEVER see mentioned in a T5 discussion?
That's right! I had seen it too but completely forgot about it, because, uh, I guess I *wanted* to forget about it.

Originally posted by Pierce_Inverarity:
I cited a poll with 250+ votes and the absence of any sustained interest in T20 on ENWorld in support of my argument. You in turn have given us zero evidence so far for the supposed popularity of T20 in the d20 community.
And pointing to a Internet poll and a discussion forum ARE evidence? I guess I should ignore the fact that the first 5000 copies of the THB sold out in less than 4 months, or that had 80% of the print-run for TA1 pre-sold before it even printed, or the constant growth of this website, or the increasing number of pre-orders for the next print run of the THB...

Trust me, Internet polls and discussion forums are NOT a good measure of a product's popularity or sales ability. They represent a VERY small fraction of the actual gaming public.

Hunter

Thank you, Hunter. See, I do pay attention when I check out the gaming stores and talk to people

And to further point out your selective blindness, Pierce.... if you want to see what a 3e-like makeover of Traveller looks like, then pick up T20. While I may not be a huge fan of the system, I doubt that someone like Tweet could have come up with anything much different to that. Hunter et al gave it a pretty good go and it turned out well, if not a bit too rough around the edges for my tastes.

So, Pierce, are you comfortable under that ton of salt?
file_23.gif

I'm well aware of T20; I like it very much; I know it sells quite well; and I like that, too. Congrats, Hunter, and I do mean that.

My point is different, though: Your sales figures don't tell you who buys it, and to what end. I believe that the vast majority of T20 buyers are Traveller grognards. If you're going to dismiss lack of ENWorld feedback as irrelevant, you need to tell me exactly *how* that community is not representative of the d20 market as a whole for the purposes of this debate. If anything, posters on online rpg boards are more knowledgeable than the rest, i.e. more aware of, and potentially more open to, anything non-D&D.

As for selective blindness, Dr.G... it's kinda hard to explain Traveller to someone who prefers point-buy over the random career system on grounds that the latter is somehow flawed. I grant you that your particular blindness is a rarified one: you're a member of the exclusive club who actually *like* GURPS Traveller. Small wonder that a T5 project means nothing to you.

That's fine, but it's your personal taste, and you needn't disguise it with pseudo-objective arguments, for which you still haven't provided any evidence.

My point is different, though: Your sales figures don't tell you who buys it, and to what end. I believe that the vast majority of T20 buyers are Traveller grognards. If you're going to dismiss lack of ENWorld feedback as irrelevant, you need to tell me exactly *how* that community is not representative of the d20 market as a whole for the purposes of this debate. If anything, posters on online rpg boards are more knowledgeable than the rest, i.e. more aware of, and potentially more open to, anything non-D&D.
Well, by that logic, look at this T5 board. About 40 different people have posted here, compared to how many on the T20 boards? 40 out of what, about 3260 members of this community? Since you want to believe online statistics so much, that should indicate to you that the T5 community must be a VERY small one compared to the rest of the Traveller community, right?

Furthermore, there don't seem to be many GURPS Traveller fans on these boards. Gee, that must mean that GURPS Traveller can't be very popular, right? After all, there's a similar absence of evidence for GT fans existence here as there is a lack of T20 fans on the Enworld boards. Well, you'd be wrong. I don't actually know how popular GT is (Loren isn't saying), but there's a thriving GURPS Traveller community elsewhere, on SJG's JTAS boards - some of whom can be found here too. The moral? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Anyway, I think Hunter otherwise explained the logic quite well. It's simple - online roleplaying communities are not representative of the real roleplaying community. Not every roleplayer is represented online. I have many roleplaying friends who do not frequent RPG discussion boards - I'd be surprised if more than 10% of all roleplayers were represented on discussion boards.

As for selective blindness, Dr.G... it's kinda hard to explain Traveller to someone who prefers point-buy over the random career system on grounds that the latter is somehow flawed. I grant you that your particular blindness is a rarified one: you're a member of the exclusive club who actually *like* GURPS Traveller. Small wonder that a T5 project means nothing to you.
Ah. The old "Bah! You're a freak who'll never understand us!" retort. Yawn.

First, I never said that random career generation was flawed, I just fail to see the attraction of having dice determine whether you succeed at a career or not. Many times have I tried to make characters in CT only to find that I get lumbered with something I don't want because I didn't roll the right number to get into a career. For crying out loud, in CT you could DIE in character generation!! Now, while this may be a nice simulation of reality in which one doesn't always get what one wants, this is a roleplaying game. If I want to play a gritty, hard as nails Imperial marine, why should I be end up with a one-eyed merchant with a limp who had to muster out halfway through his second term because of an accident? In my experience, people in any RPG that I've played generally want to play a character that they're happy with because they had full control over its generation, not that they are lumbered with because of some crappy dice rolls. It doesn't matter how that control comes about, as long as it's there. In the end, I just chucked out the randomness of the CT character generation, and fixed the rolls I wanted to make so I could have the character I wanted. Call that cheating if you will, but at least I was happy with the character in the end.

Second, I do actually understand Traveller quite well, thank you. I started with CT in the mid-80s, and have all of the LBB rulebooks, many of the supplements, and some of the adventures. I got MT when that came out, and thought it was a *vast* improvement over CT, and I especially loved the DGP stuff (again, most of which I have). I got TNE when it came out and thought that was even better in many ways, even though many others loathed it. By the time T4 came out I was largely happy with what I had, which was just as well since I heard so many bad things about T4. I got into G:T because I liked GURPS, and also because they finally produced books on all the major alien races and filled out a LOT of the background with their other supplements. I know that it's considered freakish around this evidently very close-minded board to like GURPS Traveller, but I don't care. Personally, I can understand why people don't like GURPS, but I don't understand why people here hate it so. Perhaps it's some kind of repressed resentment, that another system took over the Traveller mantle when all seemed lost, I dunno.
Finally, I got T20, but I don't like the d20 system much and thought it was over-complicated in some ways. But I don't deny it's done well for itself - I have nothing against it, and wish Hunter et al. the best with it (while poking them repeatedly to get some darn settings books out there! :D )

The big difference between us I think is that I don't view T5 as some kind of religion. If something like T5 is going to happen, it'll come about because Marc (or whoever does it) has a good grasp of the RPG market, gets the timing right, and produces something that new people are actually going to want to buy - which is probably exactly why it's not happened yet. It won't happen because a bunch of fanatical CT grogs have outmoded ideas about how they're going to present the game, and haven't put a modicum of serious thought into what T5 is actually going to consist of. Heck, there are as many different views of what T5 should be here as there are people!

Quite frankly, this very thread illustrates much about how little you trust Marc Miller. Rather than be patient and wait for T5 to come out when the time is right and when Marc's sorted out the rules to his satisfaction, you're all eager to get it done yourself. It shows you (a) have no patience, (b) don't understand how the market works, and (c) have no confidence in MM's judgement. It'll come out when it's good and ready, and when the time is right - the fact it hasn't been released yet means that the time is not yet right for T5. It's that simple.

Sorry if the harsh reality of it offends you so, but that's life.

That's fine, but it's your personal taste, and you needn't disguise it with pseudo-objective arguments, for which you still haven't provided any evidence.
What more evidence do you need? Hunter's obligingly provided some sales data for T20 (which you seem to want to ignore), and he's the best person in a position to give that info.

My other evidence has come from slow osmosis on discussion boards and at RPG conventions and at RPG shops, talking and listening to people who work in this industry and who know how it works. If that's not concrete enough for you then sorry, but I think you'll find that my observations and opinions do generally tally closely with reality.

My point is different, though: Your sales figures don't tell you who buys it, and to what end. I believe that the vast majority of T20 buyers are Traveller grognards.
Well actually that poll here you pointed out earlier does just that. I don't use that as any accurate judge of activity but since you seem to want to, let's look at it.

According to it only 23% of those who voted bought T20 just to complete their collection. 67% of either came back to playing Traveller because of T20 or they switched from some other version of Traveller to play T20 or are new to the game.

So in one form or another according to that poll 57% of those who bought T20 are playing Traveller now directly because of it.

If we break those percentages out to board-wide that would mean that 325 people here on the boards (10%) are new to Traveller. That means that 500 of the 5000 books sold went to new Traveller players.

Did I mention that 10% market growth is considered good in sales?

If you're going to dismiss lack of ENWorld feedback as irrelevant
I see posts mentioning T20 quite often (for my tastes) over at ENWorld. I'd say at least 90% of those posts on T20 are quite positive, usually recommending the game to others.

Compared to posts on fantasy related products, yup the T20 mentions are sparse. Compared to posts about sci-fi related stuff, T20 is mentioned as much if not more that most.

you need to tell me exactly *how* that community is not representative of the d20 market as a whole for the purposes of this debate.

If anything, posters on online rpg boards are more knowledgeable than the rest, i.e. more aware of, and potentially more open to, anything non-D&D.
It is not. The vast majority of members at ENWorld are gamer grognards and do not represent people new to gaming. Therefore they even more irrelevant to your point. Most (I'd bet 60% or more) are familiar with Traveller and probably have played before. They are not representative of new people playing Traveller.

Hunter

This has gone WAY off topic, and I apologize to folks reading this thread for T5 stuff. Pierce, Dr G, lets take this to a new topic if we are going to continue to discuss it, and let this topic get back on course.

Hunter

Traveller 5 will happen only when you can appeal to than younger group of player. I than a old timer role player gamer who play many different systems. First to me D&D 3rd edition is D&D 4th edition as there was than D&D game before AD&D 1st edition. That version of D&D didnot have very well written rules but was fun to play, the DM have only 1 1/2 to 2 pages telling him how to be than DM. That is where I how learm how to make up my own material and house rules to deal with thing that the D&D have no rules dealing
with these issue, basicly I did it by the seat of my pant. The two AD&D edition I didnot much care for as they where too rigit in their rules, and they want very AD&D player to play by the same rules with no house rules at all. First both of then where very unbalance in that once you went past 15 level you where practive unkillable. the 4th edition of D&D is pretty well balance and allow
you to play it in different setting easyer like they have D20 Modern and D20 Modern Arcan. I than sorry if I than alittle off topic here but Traveller need also to change to stay alife, I lover CT Traveller, and T4 and some of MegraTraveller, as I love Role Master, Star Master,
Space Opera and C&S 1st edition, C&S 2nd Edition, C&S 3rd Edition and C&S 4th edition.

But let's look at what you say is so great about the TRP more closely:

random (or at least semi-random) career-based chargen.

Well, for starters, why is this such a good or desirable thing? It just means that players land up with characters that they don't want, because some random dice roll gave them a crappy stat, or forced them to muster out too soon. But anyway, T20 does this.
Surely you realize that this is a game-design-philosophy debate that's been going on for 20+ years and that reasonable minds disagree on it? And anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't that the TRP is necessarily better than the alternatives, but just that it is different. Yes there are some characteristics of the TRP duplicated in the other systems (career-based chargen in T20, non-cinematic tasks and combat in GT, etc.) but neither of them duplicates all of the TRP's distinguishing characteristics
and therefore someone who likes the TRP might not be satisfied with either d20 or GURPS (and, conversely, someone who doesn't like GURPS or d20 might find they like the TRP better -- not that they necessarily will, but they might...).

You've not explained what your 'preferred style of game/campaign' is though, and why GURPS or D20 Traveller fails to allow you to play in that style. It seems to me that a lot of your TRP can be covered using GURPS at least.
My preferred style is one in which organically-generated characters who are essentially 'regular folks' (as opposed to natural-born heroes) proceed through their lives and adventures in a 'realistic' (as opposed to heroic/cinematic) manner, and that their continued in-game development comes organically, rather than arbitrarily based on achieving 'story' goals. The two rules paradigms that I've found best allow me to achieve this sort of campaign are the TRP and RQ/BRP -- GURPS is fundamentally opposed on the chargen point, d20 is opposed on just about everything else.

*snort*. 'Constant revisions'?! GURPS has been largely the same (3rd edition) for at least a decade, and d20 is getting its first major revision after a few years. Traveller on the other hand has gone through SIX different versions, albeit on a longer time scale.
Okay, you caught me, and I'll cop to rhetorical excess on this one. However, it's still worth pointing out that since the version of the TRP presented in the CT reprints (i.e. the only version of the TRP currently in-print) was originally published, GURPS has gone through 3 major revisions (GURPS 1st edition, GURPS 2nd edition, GURPS 3rd edition) and D&D/d20 4 (AD&D 2nd edition, AD&D 2.5 ('Skills & Powers' series), D&D3e, D&D3.5). The TRP also went through 3 subsequent revisions (MT, TNE, T4) but those revised versions aren't currently represented in the marketplace and someone new to the hobby investigating different game design philosophies won't see them, he'll only see the 1981 version that's 3-4 evoluntionary steps behind its competitors. If the CT reprints were compared to the versions of the other games current when the books were originally published then the relative merits of the TRP would be more clearly evident, but when comparing 1981-vintage TRP to 2003-vintage GURPS and d20 too many extraneous elements (grapic design, production values, writing style, polish & consistency of the rules themselves) reflect badly on the CT reprints (and thus the TRP as a whole) and obscure the fundamental game-design-philosophy issues.

Well, it's not like CT didn't ever get upgraded. The system was changed in MT, changed again in TNE, and again in T4. Am I remembering correctly that Marc himself said that he viewed the TNE system as the natural successor to the CT system?
CT's already *had* at least three upgrades. Are those really all so flawed that you'd not be satisfied with them? I'm surprised that nobody is keen to use the TNE system as a base rather than the CT.
Hopefully my clarification above has helped a little here. I realize that the CT reprints don't represent the evolutionary conclusion/pinnacle of the TRP, and in fact consider MT at least a vast improvement over CT (I suppose I TNE and T4 are also improvements over CT, but since I consider both as markedly inferior to MT it tends to cloud my judgment of them). At least 70% of what I'd like to see in T5 is already present in MT. But that's completely beside the point: MT, TNE, and T4 are all out-of-print, and someone just entering the hobby and investigating what the TRP is all about isn't going to see them, he's going to see the CT reprints. Therefore, from the point of view of this hypothetical newbie gamer, those sets might as well not have ever existed -- the currently available representative of the TRP in the marketplace doesn't include or address them at all.

Other people have already had 25 years to see it, and evidently they weren't sufficiently impressed to adopt it in their droves. GDW kept the system alive and evolving through MT and TNE, then they folded in the 90s. Since then, there was the abortive T4 attempt, and that was that. Now we have Traveller adopted into two very successful systems - d20 and GURPS - and people are complaining about it, or even resentful of it?
Numbers check: according to the data in FFE001, the CT rules (including Basic Traveller, Basic Traveller revised, Starter Traveller, Deluxe Traveller and The Traveller Book) sold almost 250,000 copies over ten years (248,585 exactly). While some of that can be attributed to lack of competition, numbers this big certainly suggest that some people found things to like about CT...

As for why MT, TNE, and T4 weren't able to retain and/or build upon that base, there's plenty of room for speculation, blame-assigning, and finger-pointing (q.v. the very long thread devoted to this very topic) but I think to claim that it's because people didn't like the TRP is at best a great oversimplification and at worst just plain wrong.

You do realise how fanatical you sound, right? Your implicit assumption is that the tweaked CT system is simply brilliant, that it's an inherently great system that's just been overlooked by everyone.
Yes, I am fanatical on this matter, so I'm glad that comes across ;) . And, with a slight rewording, I would agree with the 'implicit assumption' you assign to me: "the tweaked CT system is simply brilliant, it's an inherently great system that's just currently being overlooked by everyone" (the key difference being that it wasn't always overlooked -- remember those 250,000 rulesets).

I don't think people are all that interested to see yet another Traveller system, given that there have been so many alraedy.
But new gamers don't know or care that there have been multiple Traveller rulesets. All they know and care about is what they see on the shelves at their FLGS. If it gets their attention and it's good they won't care if it's the first edition of the game or the twentieth. If T5 were being marketed solely to grognards and the existing Traveller fanbase then you'd be right, and that's why I've consistently argued AGAINST marketing T5 solely to grognards and against 'reinventing the wheel' yet again -- IMO the key to T5 is to take the proven and successful CT/TRP system, bring it up to modern standards, and present it to those who weren't around to see it 10-25 years ago. Some/many would claim this is exactly what T20 did, but since T20 uses a system which is not only not the TRP but is in several philosophical ways fundamentally opposed to it, it should be obvious why that wouldn't satisfy me. YMMV.

Most of the current generation of gamers probably aren't even familiar with the old CT system (I doubt if many of them have picked up the CT reprints) - they're likely to have started with GURPS or T20. Right now, the CT system is probably looked upon as a quaint relic that really shouldn't be allowed out of the retirement home, rather than as a highly innovative, elegant rules system that is actually worthy of serious attention.
And here you're making my point for me every bit as well as I could've made it for myself. The mass of the modern gamer audience doesn't know CT or the TRP. They could try to discover it through the CT reprints but they won't. For those who think the TRP really is a quaint museum piece and nothing more, then T20 and GT are sufficient to keep the Traveller brand/universe/style alive and there's no need for a T5, now or ever. But for those who believe that the TRP really IS "a highly innovative, elegant rules system that is actually worthy of serious attention" (as I do -- you may have meant this description facetiously but it really does reflect my opinion), surely it's in the interest of the system to present it in a manner which will allow people to see it as such? I'm not asking that you agree with my opinion that the TRP is the best ever rpg-engine, or that T5 is therefore a necessary or even desrirable thing, but I am asking that you acknowledge that there are some of us who do feel this way, and that our desire to see T5 is based on something more substantial than knee-jerk nostalgia and grognardism.

You're probably right that we're only a small minority of the current fanbase, and that our desires are at best totally impractical and at worst just plain wrong, but even given that I still don't see what harm we're doing by talking and dreaming about seeing the TRP once again at the forefront of the rpg industry. It's not like we're constantly going onto GT and T20 boards and berating everybody with how bad those systems are and telling people not to buy them, we're just quietly, in our own little neighborhood, wishing for an alternative. Why is this so offensive?

You're ignoring the fact that the two successful Traveller systems are based on systems that are rather different from the original CT system and a whole lot more popular. You're ignoring the mores and desires of the market.
T20 has sold 5000 copies in ~6 months (sure they all sold in the first 4, but because it hasn't been reprinted it hasn't sold any in the 2 since...), versus 250,000 copies of CT. Therefore CT is roughly 50x more popular than T20 to date. SJG doesn't make their sales figures public but I'd be very surprised if they've sold more than 50,000 copies of the GT rulebook in the last 6 years. Or do you just mean that GT and T20 are more popular than the CT reprints? If so, that's a ridiculous comparison (unless you also base the popularity of *D&D on sales of those little 1" tall reproductions of the AD&D1 hardbacks...
file_22.gif
:rolleyes: ).

So instead of actually addressing the issue and perhaps move to a serious, reality-based discussion about T5, you'd rather just shrug your shoulders and carry on dreaming as if none of those valid points that I made existed?
I for one would love to have a serious reality-based discussion about T5. When you're ready to have such a discussion, instead of just berating us from atop your high horse, please let me know (unless your idea of "serious, reality-based" is just to tell again how pointless and impractical the whole notion is, in which case you can save yourself the effort 'cause I've already heard it).

For example, what exactly should be so great about the T5 system that it would cause people to adopt it? How should the mechanics work? Should it be based on an existing system (CT?), or should a new one be created from scratch?

Why don't you think about these things, rather than the look or the marketing or the moral imperative to produce it? Think about the practical things, and maybe people might take it seriously.
What makes you so sure we aren't thinking about and discussing these things? There are active threads right now at traveller5.com covering these very sorts of nuts-and-bolts issues (as well as the more free-associative 'wish list' posts that drive you so crazy) and if I had more time I'd introduce even more of them. The fact is at present there ARE only a small handful of us who really believe in the TRP and the necessity/advisability of reintroducing it to the public via T5, and while that may prove to you that our mission is folly, I'm a zealot and prefer to look at it instead as an indication of how low public awareness and appreciation of the TRP have sunk (from 250,000 CT rulesets sold to 56 registered users at traveller5.com), which in turn strengthens my conviction that a full-scale reintroduction is not only necessary but urgent. If I can convince Marc Miller and/or someone with lots of money to agree with me, great. If not, at least I tried...
:(
omega.gif

If we use the elements of the 'TRP' in a matrix, we can find out how different CT/MT rules were from GURPS and T20. In other words, CT/MT rules, GURPS rules, and T20 rules are orthogonal to each other in key respects that make them fundamentally unique.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
CT/MT T4 TNE GURP T20
Random, career-based chargen x x x no x
Slow in-game char improvement x x x x no
non-heroic task res & combat x x x x no
(2) six-sided dice x / no / no
TOTAL POINTS 4 3.5 3 2.5 1</pre>[/QUOTE]So, by my highly unscientific tally, the closest thing to CT is T4, and in fact TNE was closer than GURPS now is.

What I'm wondering is if GURPS had an alternate, Traveller-like chargen system, would it be a good fit for the TRP? I suspect it might. I'm not sure. It would, however, make the GURPS core rulebook stronger.

On the other hand, T20 would be hard pressed to emulate more of the TRP. It would be a major set of rules revisions, I suspect. Just looking at the matrix above makes me realize how foreign T20 must feel to a T4 player.

Rob

One more thing -- I should have included Marc Miller's current view of T5 to the matrix. It is basically in line with T4, scoring 3.5 points for its use of handfuls of d6's.

I'm thinking that most of the CT/MT players don't care for that handful of dice anymore. I didn't mind it too much, but recently was convinced that it's not a significant enough improvement over the 2d6 task system.

Originally posted by T. Foster:
And here you're making my point for me every bit as well as I could've made it for myself. The mass of the modern gamer audience doesn't know CT or the TRP.
You just made his point. If the mass of the modern gamer audience doesn't know CT or the TRP, where is the market for T5?

You're probably right that we're only a small minority of the current fanbase, and that our desires are at best totally impractical and at worst just plain wrong, but even given that I still don't see what harm we're doing by talking and dreaming about seeing the TRP once again at the forefront of the rpg industry. It's not like we're constantly going onto GT and T20 boards and berating everybody with how bad those systems are and telling people not to buy them, we're just quietly, in our own little neighborhood, wishing for an alternative. Why is this so offensive?
I am not speaking for E Dr G, but my point would be this. For T5 to come out, T20 and GT have to end. (Hunter has as much admitted this.) Therefore, if T5 means an end to T20 and GT, then, in my opinion, it just isn't worth it.

"Offensive" is probably too strong a word, but that is what is at the core of the reaction you see. T5 and T20/GT are mutually incompatible. For many, that is too high a cost.

Especially since T5 is to be based on what seems to be the concensus choice for the worst version of Traveller made so far!

Originally posted by T. Foster:
T20 has sold 5000 copies in ~6 months (sure they all sold in the first 4, but because it hasn't been reprinted it hasn't sold any in the 2 since...), versus 250,000 copies of CT. Therefore CT is roughly 50x more popular than T20 to date. SJG doesn't make their sales figures public but I'd be very surprised if they've sold more than 50,000 copies of the GT rulebook in the last 6 years. Or do you just mean that GT and T20 are more popular than the CT reprints? If so, that's a ridiculous comparison (unless you also base the popularity of *D&D on sales of those little 1" tall reproductions of the AD&D1 hardbacks...
file_22.gif
:rolleyes: ).
I thought the whole point was that you don't want to sell T5 to all those 250,000 CT grogs, you want to sell them to a new market. The idea is to expand the Traveller fanbase, surely (which is another reason I get pissed off with the superiority complex of people here. Who cares what system is better or morally superior, as long as Traveller remains popular in some form?!)? The popularity of CT in the past - or even any form of Traveller - is utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

What is relevant is that you're presenting a game to a new market whose tastes and expectations have changed enormously since Traveller first appeared in the 70s. If you present T5 in the same way as you would in the 1970s, it'll bomb today. I'd wager that GT and T20 have brought in more NEW Traveller players than the CT reprints, because they're based on modern, popular systems and presented in a modern style.

I for one would love to have a serious reality-based discussion about T5. When you're ready to have such a discussion, instead of just berating us from atop your high horse, please let me know (unless your idea of "serious, reality-based" is just to tell again how pointless and impractical the whole notion is, in which case you can save yourself the effort 'cause I've already heard it).
Go learn something about (a) the state of the current RPG market, and (b) how to sell a game to it. Then you can take part in a reality based discussion.

Oh, and the reality of the matter is that currently producing a T5 is pointless and impractical. Right now, you're refusing to accept this, and you insist on brushing aside evidence to support this observation.

The fact is at present there ARE only a small handful of us who really believe in the TRP
Erm. At present? Hate to break it to you, but people who want a T5 have been a minority in the community for a LONG time.

and the necessity/advisability of reintroducing it to the public via T5, and while that may prove to you that our mission is folly, I'm a zealot and prefer to look at it instead as an indication of how low public awareness and appreciation of the TRP have sunk (from 250,000 CT rulesets sold to 56 registered users at traveller5.com), which in turn strengthens my conviction that a full-scale reintroduction is not only necessary but urgent.
So let me get this straight. The fact that the vast majority of people in the RPG market today are more willing to embrace GURPS and d20 versions of Traveller than start off with CT - coupled with the fact that only small minority of people in the Traveller community actually see a need for T5 - strengthens your belief that the TRP has to be shoved down everyone's throat so they can know how 'great' it is?!

You're right. You're a zealot and a fanatic. Thankfully, you're not in a position to put any of that into action.

If I can convince Marc Miller and/or someone with lots of money to agree with me, great. If not, at least I tried...
:(
omega.gif
[/QB]
Fortunately, the people who do have the money and resources to produce T5 are also capable of rationally considering its feasibility and will be well aware of the state of the RPG market if/when it does come out. If it comes out, it'll happen because the time is right for it to be successful. You do want T5 to be a success if it happens, right?

Originally posted by daryen:
I am not speaking for E Dr G, but my point would be this. For T5 to come out, T20 and GT have to end. (Hunter has as much admitted this.) Therefore, if T5 means an end to T20 and GT, then, in my opinion, it just isn't worth it.

"Offensive" is probably too strong a word, but that is what is at the core of the reaction you see. T5 and T20/GT are mutually incompatible. For many, that is too high a cost.
Actually, while that's true, the main point that I'm arguing from is that there are already three versions of a single game on the market today. There's simply no room for T5 in the market now, and any effort to produce it today will be wasted and at worst will harm the other versions of the game. So yes, T20, GT, and CT reprinting would have to end, and there'd probably be a gap of several years while the last books disappear off the shelves before the market is ready for a new version of Traveller.

I'm not so much pissed off at the thought of this happening (it'll probably happen eventually, maybe in a decade or so), as the fact that a small minority of fanatics would be quite glad to see this happen out of principle so their 'superior' T5 can see the light of day - the implication being that they arrogantly know what's best for Traveller and the rest of the game's market doesn't.

Originally posted by robject:
If we use the elements of the 'TRP' in a matrix, we can find out how different CT/MT rules were from GURPS and T20. In other words, CT/MT rules, GURPS rules, and T20 rules are orthogonal to each other in key respects that make them fundamentally unique.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
CT/MT T4 TNE GURP T20
Random, career-based chargen x x x no x
Slow in-game char improvement x x x x no
non-heroic task res & combat x x x x no
(2) six-sided dice x / no / no
TOTAL POINTS 4 3.5 3 2.5 1</pre>
So, by my highly unscientific tally, the closest thing to CT is T4, and in fact TNE was closer than GURPS now is.

What I'm wondering is if GURPS had an alternate, Traveller-like chargen system, would it be a good fit for the TRP? I suspect it might. I'm not sure. It would, however, make the GURPS core rulebook stronger.

On the other hand, T20 would be hard pressed to emulate more of the TRP. It would be a major set of rules revisions, I suspect. Just looking at the matrix above makes me realize how foreign T20 must feel to a T4 player.

Rob
[/quote]I don't get the time to post much in these threads, but as I was reading through this one I felt I had to take to the time to add something. Rob, I agree with your analyse, as far as it goes, but I feel you left out one important component of the "Traveller Paradyme" (if we can call it that. In Traveller the focus is on skills not characteristics. The "Asset" a PC can bring to bear on a task in TNE, T4, (the T5 draft) and GURPS are very characteristic heavy. In CT/MT and T20 the characteristic's portion of the Asset is more balanced with skill.

I believe having skill more important than characteristic is almost a requirement for a true Traveller feel. Unfortunately, MT's "divide by five" and T20's "subtract 10 and divide by 2" work, but both are complicated and...IMO...kludges. Note that this is my opinion and I realize many others find the above procedures perfectly acceptable.

I feel an inherient pull toward both T4 and TNE's use of the full characteristics, for purposes of simplicity, but both repel me because they let characteristic overshadow skill.

Ideally, I would make T5 a modified T4 where the skill levels average out on the same 2 to 15 scale as the characteristics. A "low characteristic"(2), "low skill"(2) person brings an asset of 4 to a task, an "average" person (7) with "average" training (7) would bring an asset of 14 to a task, and an "outstanding" (15), "high skilled" (15) person brings an asset of 30 to a task. This means, of course, we would need to scale the task system's success levels appropriately, but that should be doable.

Nice chart, Rob. I'd been thinking of posting something similar, but you beat me to it. Note, however that I didn't mean my list of defining characteristics of the TRP to be exhaustive, so if we're going to make a chart like this I'd prefer to add a few more axes of comparison. Also, I'd like to slightly redefine a couple of the terms, as follows:

Random, career-based chargen: as is.

Slow in-game char improvement: I'd change this to 'Organic in-game improvement,' that is in-game improvement comes primarily from undertaking specific in-game activities focused on improvement rather than from achieving story-related goals. This is significant (to me) because the improvement rules in both TNE and T4 are primarily story-based, rather than organic.

Non-heroic task res & combat: as is

(2) six-sided dice: I'd like to change this to 'Universal Curve-based Mechanics,' meaning that all dice-rolls in the game are based on the same probability matrix, and that this matrix is curved rather than flat. While for aesthetic, traditional, and (mostly) brand-identity reasons I'd prefer the mechanic to be 2D6, I admit that practically it could just as easily be 2D10 or 3D6 or something else (just as long as the same number and type of dice are used for every roll, and that those dice provide a curved probability result). FWIW under this new definition GT fits and T4 does not.

Additional points of comparison:

Skills over characteristics: as expressed by Eris.

Uniform task system: simple, comprehensive, and self-consistent system for adjudicating in-game activity, taking into account such factors as varying task difficulty, duration (and effects of hasty or cautious attempts) and consequences of success and failure.

Modular complexity: provison for freely mixing and matching simple baseline rules with more advanced optional rules.

Detailed engineering systems: Quantified rules for gearheading, rockheading, and/or credheading. This is actually represented in ALL of the compared versions, but is included for the completeness' sake (and in case anyone wants to expand this comparison chart out to include BRP, WW, or other non-Traveller rules paradigms).
CT MT T4 TNE GURP T20
Random, career-based chargen x x x x no x
organic in-game improvement x x / / x no
non-heroic task res & combat x x x x x no
universal curve-based mechanic x x no no x no
skills over characteristics x x no no no x
uniform task system no x x x no x
modular complexity x no x no x no
detailed engineering systems x x x x x x
TOTAL POINTS 7 7 5.5 4.5 5 4</pre>[/QUOTE]

(SNIPPAGE)
Go learn something about (a) the state of the current RPG market, and (b) how to sell a game to it. Then you can take part in a reality based discussion.

(SNIPPAGE)
And your qualifications in this respect are what, exactly?

And why, exactly, does it so offend you that some Traveller fans think the TRP is worth developing further? Why do you feel such a mission to berate us for believing that the heritage of game design that runs from CT to T4# deserves to be put in front of the gaming public again? To be honest the person who is coming across as an unreasoning zealot is not T Foster or anyone else in the pro T5 lobby...

Bottom line, you don't think T5 is good idea. Duly noted (for the fourth or fifth time##). Now rather than clogging up discussions about a rule system you have clearly stated you have no interest in, why don't you stick to the part of the forums that discuss the OTU, T20 and or GT, the setting and systems you are obviously happy with?

Regards,

Nick Middleton

# The GDW House rules of T:TNE are a side shoot, as are 2300 d10 incarnation of the CT/MT DGP task system, T2K, DC and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

## The search facility on the boards revealed that this debate (with these participants) has been rehearsed here in very similar terms three or four time before...

Originally posted by Gallowglass:
And your qualifications in this respect are what, exactly?
I've contributed to several "Transhuman Space" RPG books, and co-written one of them. Granted, that doesn't make me an 'industry pro', but I think I've picked up enough about how the process and the market works in the meantime to be able to pass some kind of reasonably informed opinion on it.

To retort, what are the qualifications and experiences of the people here who think they can write and publish the game and that Marc can't?

And why, exactly, does it so offend you that some Traveller fans think the TRP is worth developing further? Why do you feel such a mission to berate us for believing that the heritage of game design that runs from CT to T4# deserves to be put in front of the gaming public again? To be honest the person who is coming across as an unreasoning zealot is not T Foster or anyone else in the pro T5 lobby...
First, go look up the meaning of the word 'zealot'. According to www.dictionary.com, 'Zeal' is "enthusiastic devotion to a cause, ideal, or goal and tireless diligence in its furtherance." A Zealot is "one who is zealous, especially excessively so". By definition, I can't be a zealot because I don't believe in any causes here. I'm not on a crusade to see that T5 never happens, all I'm interested in here is getting people to acknowledge the realities of the RPG market.

The thought of T5 in itself doesn't offend me. The thing I actually find offensive about this thread in particular is that you think you know more about the practicalities of producing the game than Marc Miller does - "Let's just write it already", claims the title. Clearly, some of you at least don't see why it's taking so long for T5 to come out, or why it's not out yet, and you want to take matters into your own hands and write it yourselves. Well, if you're going to do that, you need to prove that you somehow know more about RPG design and the way the industry works than Marc does, which I strongly doubt is true.

If all you're doing is idly wishing this or that would be in T5, I wouldn't complain. It's the arrogant second-guessing, pseudo-religious zeal, and refusal to account for the reality of the situation that I find so annoying.

Like I said, if the time was right to produce T5, Marc would already have released it commercially. He hasn't, and you can certainly not claim to know more about the RPG market or the industry than he does.

## The search facility on the boards revealed that this debate (with these participants) has been rehearsed here in very similar terms three or four time before...
Yes. Which makes it all the more annoying that the realities of the situation have to be repeatedly pointed out to you again and again.

Back