• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Life support and barracks

veltyen

SOC-14 1K
Looking through the information I was able to gather on Life Support costs/space I came to the conclusion that the language used in the Travellers Handbook is unclear.

The part I am talking about is on page 348, in the section also talking about life support costs.

In the ship design section the book lists various accomodation options for officers, crew and passengers. Specifically that a Stateroom could house 1/2/4 passengers and a small stateroom could handle half of that number.

What I want to do is split up the costs/space of the staterooms to get a way to build larger structures (barracks for example) for life support accomodation.

In the stateroom (4 dTon) allowance
1.5 dTon Living space Beds/Desks/Storage
0.5 dTon personal fresher
0.5 dTon Life Support Machinery
1.5 dTon Corridors and Shared Areas

For small staterooms (2 dTon) you don't even get a fresher
0.25 dTon Life Support
1.00 dTon Living Space
0.75 dTon Corridors and Shared Areas

From my reading of the Life support rules I am assuming that a small stateroom can support one person easily, 2 people with minimal reduction in life support, and 3 people at half effectiveness. Likewise a full Stateroom can support 1 person in comparative luxury, 2 people easily, 4 people with minimal reduction in life support, and 6 people at half effectiveness.

So adequate life support, purely for the machinery involved, supports 10 people per dTon - at ABSOLUTE maximum, if a ship is on this level of life support a stowaway is a big problem. 8 people per dTon is safer. 6 people per dTon is probably what you should look for for active (Ship Troops for example) crew.

So from this lets build a barracks module for grunt troops.

Platoon (1 Lt, 4 Sgt, 20 Pvt)Barracks:
4dTon Officers stateroom - As Stateroom
4dTon NCO small staterooms - As Stateroom
4dTon Grunt Life support
2dTon Fresher (*4)
10dTon Bunks + Footlockers for 20 Grunts
2dTon Kitchen
4dTon Hall

Or about 30 dTon. No exercise space. No internal power, though I suppose a 1/2 dTon generator as part of the life support wouldn't be out of place. The platoon is also unequiped except for small arms and flexible armors.

The advantage of this cargo module is you can dump it on a hotile planet as a temporary base of operations and as a portage device, allowing the unit to travel in cargo space. Permanent ship troops would probably use 2 grunts per full stateroom, and one officer per stateroom, just to allow some breathing space for the trigger happy marines.

The only other mention of Life support and people space is in the description of the Patrol Cruiser. This ship has 20 staterooms and a crew of 20 and is described as crowded. This doesn't mesh very well with another craft that has a crew of 6 and 4 staterooms, but isn't noted for a lack of space, so I am putting that reference to the side for the moment.

If you make it just a barracks module:

10 dTon Bunks and Storage for 20 troops
4 dTon Life Support
2 dTon freshers

Gives a nice compact 16dTon module. There will be extra space taken up with storage for food and plain rallying out areas, and officer ranks will be taking up Staterooms elsewhere. There will need to be additional training and breathing space unless the troops are very commited. If the baracks is used for pure ships troops (rather then transported army) then this would be less of a big deal. I am going to assume another 4dTon of cargo space for Food and other renewable supplies. This makes a nice round 1 person per ton.

Where am I going with this?

A 10,000 ton medium Capital ship has a suggested ship troop complement of between 30 and 300 ship troops. I am going to also go to 3000 troops (assault force size) for my own personal interests.

At minimum troops (30) there would be 30 Staterooms used for the troops in all single occupancy quarters. Attached to this area would be a training hall of whatever space was available.

This I am using as a base point. I am ssuming a 500dTon training/equipment area for the moment.

At a moderate troop strength (150) one of the staterooms is single occupancy (Mr Officer4 (O4) or so), 9 are double occupancy (the rest of the officers) and 20 are quad occupancy and there are 3 basic barracks modules in the cargo space, though not all at full capacity, leaving 440 dTon of space for training and equipment.

At full capacity (300) there are more single occupancy quarters (multiple O4+). The rest of the staterooms will have officers, and high ranking NCO's packed in like sardines. The grunts will all be in barracks modules (12 modules, 240 grunts, 240dTon) halving the available space for equipment and training which is down to 260dTon.

With 3000 troops on board the ship may not have enough carrying capacity. The staterooms are packed with officers (4 in each stateroom) there are officers in barracks modules and there is 2880 dTon of barracks crammed into every available space on the ship. There will be no space available anywhere on the ship.

Done as low berths (4per ton) with quad occupancy staterooms (for officers/bodyguards etc) the ship only needs 220dTon past the training area.

Apologies for rambling.

Life support has always bugged me as I don't feel it was ever dealt with effectively or realistically. Its kind of nebulous in Traveller.

What it means in real terms is such things as: Air: both scrubbing out CO2 et.al. AND generating or releasing O2 into the atmosphere. This has to include pressure as well as constinency, and circulation. You need fans and ventilation systems in addition to scrubbers/burners to keep the air clean

Water: Purifying either the water that is expelled, or from external or stored sources. Water is theoretically recyclable, as in a closed environment, humans expel any water they intake. Considering the relatively short duration of Jump trips, only a week, it really does not matter which way you go.

Food: This includes storage as well as preparation as well. Meaning a galley, a freezer (maybe) and other food storage areas. The galley can be as simple as a microwave oven, but then you have to have specially pre-prepared food as well.

There are also several miscellanious things that have to be dealt with. Such as temperature (not a big issue if you have electrical power) and hygene (which freshers take care of)

Another thing that has bugged me is how expansive, and luxurious starship quarters are. I know a little about this subject due to my submarine background and I gotta say, I would have loved a 4 dton stateroom, with its own private fresher. I bet the captain of my boats would have loved one too. As it was, even the Captain had to share a fresher (well, its equivalent, a head with shower stall) with the XO. The officers all shared one head plus shower stall, (I am trying to remember, but I think it was 12 officers altogether) and their berthing spaces were 3 men to a room. And the room was in no stretch of the imagination 4 dtons. Figure about 6.5 by 6 by 6.5 feet per 3 man berthing space.

As for crew, we slept in racks that were smaller than low berths. The same size as the officers had(6.5 x 3 x 2 feet) and we shared a total of 6 heads, 5 sinks, and 3 shower stalls. (I am doing this from memory, so these numbers may be off. The racks were very small however, almost not enough room to turn over in your bunk)

On the other hand, I can see why being in space, and not having the external pressure considerations might allow for the larger berthing areas. And how such would be more psychologically pleasing and desirable. But a lot of that space could be devoted to something else (small packages?)

And if you want to utilize it in a more military fashion, it would get a lot more cramped.

Missile Boat or HK?

Thanks for the numbers though, it helps.

My bro is submarine obsessed, a bit of that rubs off. Personally I don't fit on a sub, and films never give a good indication.

2 metres cubed is approximately half a dTon, so 12 officers fit in 2.5 dTon (including the single fresher) plus another 1.5 dTon for life support elsewhere (water recycling, oxygen tankage, co2 reclamation).

As for the crew 14 fit in a dTon with the spaces given above, without numbers for the crew its a little hard to guess at freshers per crew. Assuming about 80 crew on the sub that would be one fresher-equivalent per 20 crew.

80 crew at the above density fit in 6 dTon with another 2 dTon of freshers and another 8dTon of external life support. The other things that come with a stateroom are missing (shared areas, corridors) but the core requirments fit at about 5 crew per dTon, or 3 officers. Adding a touch of space for the above spaces would drop the numbers to 4crew/2officers per dTon.

So including life support you can fit the same density cold slept or awake (4/dTon).

Interesting.

Actually both a boomer and a fast boat. My first boat was a SSBN, the second an SSN. Both are razor blades now. Sigh.

The crews range around 120 to 150 men for a boomer. And the missile crews have berthing space in the missile compartment, as well as a single head. Let me think a minute, and I might have to get back to you on this, but I believe they had 4 or 5 berthing cubes, similar to the officer's cubes mentioned above.

And also, lets not forget hot racking. Where two crewmembers share a bunk, but not at the same time. (Which is still against regulations
)So even if you have say 12 or 15 bunks in the mouse house, that could still sleep 24 or 30, or really even 36 to 45 men. Not comfortably, but still it can be done.

Back