• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Liquid refreshment list

D'oh! How could I forget to mention that classic beer:

Old Froth and Slosh

Every year for April Fools' Day, Iron City Beer would package their product as Old Froth and Slosh, "the beer with the froth on the bottom" (complete with simulated X-ray images of this unusual characteristic).

Originally posted by MADDog:
Guiness?
After trying Young's Double Chocolate Stout...
Mmmmm a very good choice. However it is a tad rich not lending itself to mass consumption. That and it can't be used as a "liquid loaf of soda bread" as Guinness can in a pinch.
toast.gif

Casey

In my personal preferences, Guiness, at 65°F, follorwed by Imperial Extra Stout, Little Kings, Grolsh, Dos Equis Negro, and Fosters. If you can find it, Hamms Dark is pretty good, too...

IMTU: a couple more for your consideration

Wypoc Ale: "It'll Eat Ya!" (Made from fermentates of local flora... both dome and wild... then filtered for safety. Novelty beverage. Mildly acidic, mildly toxic.)

Ol' Scruffy's: A Vargr beverage line. The beers include pinapple-Habanjero, Skymellon rind, Howood nut, Jalapeno, Black Pepper, and Groat Blood. Wines include all the above, plus an exquisite (if little known) Zilan Skymellon vintnery. Old Scruffy is a cultural vargr in a human body. Also, all the above are made into cordials, as well. There is also Pepper Sauce... Take a miscelaneous assortment of local grains, and some Habanero, ferment, distill at careful temperature to get the volatiles from the habanero as well... then age in barrels with habanero and jalapeno pepper seeds, on the coast of a Zilan sea... filter and bottle.

Scout Grog: make your mash from flour, pure sucrose, and water. Cook, add yeast of choice, then decant into carboys, distill when fermentation stops, ususally by freeze-distilliation, so as to get a weak whisky. Age about a month, in fresh carboy (the one you just washed since it was empty, and drained into leaving the ice in the first one...), with whatever fruit rhinds are available thrown in for flavor. Package half for self in 0-G fluid tubes, sneak rest to favorite scout bar for the discerning customer... usually for a few small credits from the proprietor.

JarHead! A flighty cocktail of hard liquors, vagely fruity, with a sharp pepper bite, all cut by 50% groat milk. Served chilled, if served by labelling. Marines tend to turn it into instant toddy: have the barkeep run the tray of unopened bottles through the dishwasher immmediately before serving. Label shows a marine holding a jar containing a pickled head with scout service like headgear...

Fizzyglug: Reginan non alcholic intoxicating beverage. Massive health warnings, mostly true. Posession on base forbidden; consumption off base limited to no less than 24 hours before duty. Toxic to Virushi; induce vominting and contact poison center immediately (Difficult hazardous fateful endurance for the virush to avoid major systemic failures...apply mishap results to random major internal organs...). Does little for aslan. Safe in small doses (1 can) for hummans and vargr, being Mildly euphoric, hyper sensitivity to touch, and lazy (Routine Endurance and Carousing to avoid intoxication on first drink, second drink rasies to Difficuult Hazardous, and eacch additional increses difficulty by one step. Each dose lasts about 4 hours. If task failed but not fumbled... apply a +1 difficulty shift to all tasks; sucess results in a 1 point penalty to mental attribute DM's and skill DM's, Critical success results in no penalties.)

Hmm... maybe my player's characters are drinking too much.....

Aludian Brandy

A popular drink of the Nobility of the Zhodani it is illegal to possess in Imperial space and the importation of it is subject to heavy fines or jail time and, depending on the quantity, possible seizure of the vessel carrying it.

Rumor has that it has a mild enhancing effect for Psionic ability, both passive and active, allowing a psionic individual to more easily read thoughts. What is certain is that it is a most enjoyable drink that will quickly produce mild euphoria with no hangover or organ damage, and neither will it impair judgment or motor function when used in moderation.

Prices tend to vary widely depending on quantity and location. Of course it is only available in the Imperium on the black market and it is "buyer beware" as there are many con artists willing to take the risk of being caught to cash in on selling a counterfeit product, especially one where the mark isn't likely to report the crime.

The genuine item is originally bottled in a rare cut crystal of amber color not found outside of Zhodani space. The contents of a bottle amount to 250ml and one can be purchased in Zhodani space for the equivalent of cr500 Imperial by any Zhodani Nobel. Prices in Imperial space tend to start at cr1,000 per bottle along the border in The Marches and go up from there. A standard 25ml serving starts at cr100 in the few Imperial establishments that serve it discreetly to customers in the know. Empty bottles are often worth up to cr100 or more to collectors, and of course some con men.

Hmmm, Guiness i see has been chosen already! --and wisely, might i add, Fosters, adn afew other terran brews...

"Hefrian Old Rotter"/ or by brand name, Hefrian Single Malt. A Glen Moraigne direct descendant, vaccuum distilled by Scout & Belters of this wee rock Imperial outpost, aged 10 years on average. 15, 20, and 25yr brands cost 5-10cr more each version. 50 yr old for "golden anniversaries", 150cr a bottle. Good luck, you must pre-order! Sells at 35cr a fifth. More outside spinward marches (Trojan reaches/ Deneb, etc).

Janja*klaa-Juice--a non alcoholic (to Ithklur) beverage, much akin to Jolt-Colas. For Hi energy in a bi metal can. exported to Hiver embassy's Ithklur garrisons. In humaniti causes a severe headache, followed by frenetic activity lasting 30-60 minutes. Warning-Tastes bad to hmans, so if you survive that..have the aspirin handy, then get ready for the rush!

Darrian "Fire Wine"-- is actually a cinnamony spicy brandied-liqueur, not a wine. Made from a distilled formerly fermented fruit wine, whose secrets have been passed down thru the ages. Sells for 40cr a bottle on Daryen. Price increses per quadrant exponentially!

I can see Fosters being very popular amongst the Vilani. It reminds them of their own beers.

Personally, I consider it a crime against humanity.

But then, I was thinking the other night that if XXX is often used to designate material of a ⌧ographic nature, what does that say about that XXXX material that I consume so frequently?

I suspect the only Terran beers that would make it into space are the "special" ones. Run of the mill swill would be replaced by local products.

Vilani Words for Beer:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">kas beer (generic)
kas-gig beer, black_ (strong, dark, usu. sweet)
marshu beer, dessert_
kas-sig beer, fast_ (greenish-yellow, quick-fermenting)
nasharas beer, fizzy_
shekisasaa beer, hopped_
nekrisharri beer, lambic/sour_
kamrirge beer, slow_
rasri beer, soft_</pre>[/QUOTE]

I've also seen
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">beer (generic) rasri
beer (brand) nasharas
beer (brand) marshu
beer (brand) nekrisharri
beer (brand) kamrirge
beer (brand) shekisasaa
vat or vessel for beer lakhdan, lasdan</pre>[/QUOTE]So Prefect Zog goes down to the local asu* and riirins a lasdan of shekisasaa.

<Vilani> So Prefect Zog goes down to the local resturant and orders a pint of India Pale Ale.</Vilani>

Casey

* OI! So this means there is likely 11,000+ Asus in the 'verse. This explains the downfall of the Third Imperium.
<Asu innocent look!> ^^

Or old Milaweekee Best, Pabst Blue Ribbion, and all the 50 cents a can specials will be considered high society drinks.

Casey,

Right you are. In fact, that's what I've got on my website (it's quite an old list). Perhaps they are brands, each with a distinctive 'style' as it were. Here it is in Vilani:

"Ziki, akiishina Zog kaasu in ariirinna kalasdangi Shekisasaa."

so-then, he-goes-to PN DIR-restaurant and he-buying-away-at DIR-pint-PART Shekisasaa Beer.

Originally posted by plop101:

Scout Brew (?Mark Seeman)
Nope. Scout Brew was mine, cleaned up by Nancy Parker and published in DGP's Traveller's Digest. I suppose since it was published in a DGP product, it's no longer canon.

It's still canon, but it's forbidden canon, essentially not to be mentioned but not to be contradicted... or that's my understanding, anyway.

Enjoy,
Flynn

:D "Fuzzy Canon" is the best & most fun description I've heard. LKW originally IIRC.

Originally posted by robject:
Right you are. In fact, that's what I've got on my website (it's quite an old list). Perhaps they are brands, each with a distinctive 'style' as it were. Here it is in Vilani:
<swipe> Thanks! Yeah I can see Vilani Stout now. Literally. Those bits floating...*cough* doan wanna taste it though. o_x A staggering task to take more than a sip and keep it down if not used to the taste?

Casey (member of the Revised Orthodox Heretical Whatsit of Traveller, Risus Sect)

Flogging Molly.

Named in honor of the band of the same name though nothing stopping folk from using a similar name or converting it to Gaelic.

A blue* drink served in a tall glass with two cubes of dry ice on top. *Very* cold and also *very* alcoholic. The blue mist adds a nice touch. Umbrellas optional.

Average (T20 DC15) Fortitude check with no Take 10 allowed just to stay conscious with the first sip and it all goes downhill from then on...

Very "warm" once it kicks in though and even the passed out imbibers have smiles on their faces.

Casey

* a green version is also rumored to exist for special occasions or the experienced imbiber

Let us also not forget the BIG name soft drinks..use locally distilled water usually(but not always).
So you can vary the taste a bit by what planet (and their water)that is used. So for TNE campaigns, you can literally have different planets Pepsi's, Cokes, etc.. (FYI-Soda/ softdrink carbonated beverage here in Arab-ia is "pepsi".. :eek: :D )

Jim, I didnt think you strayed off of the Random Static boards these days, nice to see that you are branching out!

Back