• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Lost MegaTraveller Adventure on drivethru

And this is the money quote as to why this is even possible.

With this, the rights to Manhunt returned to Philip Athans; they were not sold as part of DGP’s assets in 1995.

It was never part of DGP, so it's not in the limbo that all the DGP stuff is in.

The historical background is a fascinating read - any plans on trying to develop the sequel adventures?
There's a lot of work that needs doing. In Wonderful Things, I summarised the available information we have about Phil Athans' plans for the remainder of OQ:
In the Manhunt manuscript, Athans named volumes 2 and 3—Antares Down, and Beyond the Seventh Moon—and provided a little information on the contents of the former: a raid on a deep meson gun in the Antares system, and a rescue mission to the interdicted TL17 world of Sabmiqys. Fugate (2004a) later recalled some further details that seem to pertain to the latter: the Victory Belt was outside the borders of the Imperium, in a (presumably barren) system which could only be reached with Jump-6; and the source of the onnesium-118 was a planetoid which was the homeworld of an extinct TL minor human race.

These details would suggest a location in the Lesser Rift on the border with the Julian Protectorate, with several possible candidates in the Star’s End and Arzul sectors. The stellar positions for both of those sectors had first been specified in DGP’s Vilani and Vargr from 1990, but there was no data for those systems at the time that Manhunt was written (this was later created by Jeff Zeitlin for the Zhodani Base); it is therefore not possible to determine the intended location of the Victory Belt with any certainty.
It's certainly something I'd like to have a crack at, but I have a looong list of other Traveller-related projects that I want to finish off first* (while mulling over OQ vols 2 and 3, obviously).

* A bunch of new deckplans, including a Broadsword-based mercenary carrier (“Danny Boy”) and merchant (“Ploughshare”); a colophon for DGP books, LBBs and GDW MT books, including proper .indd templates; a Traveller text adventure/interactive fiction (“Downtime on Dentus”); writing up the rest of the 50-person Traveller live roleplay that I ran in 2019, and getting all the assets in a form that other people could print; trying to track down Mike Mikesh so that I can “do a Manhunt” on his draft for Grand Explorations that was on the HIWG CD-ROM

Picked this up yesterday and I have to say that it was nice seeing a new product from DGP. It seems like a pretty sound adventure at first past and I'd love to see the other two if they can ever be written. It sounds like an amazing trilogy.

D.

Is there going to be a print on demand copy?
Yes, there will be.

I received the proofs from Marc on the 30th and sent the (minor) corrections back to him the same day. We were originally planning to have the POD out for the end of May, but we've slipped a few days, largely due to the speed of international post (I'm in the UK).

I'd just like to congratulate all involved on a stunning piece of digital archaeology. Though the chances are slim-to-none, I hope one day someone turns up the lost FASA scenarios 'Piracy/Stardust'.

I'd just like to congratulate all involved on a stunning piece of digital archaeology. Though the chances are slim-to-none, I hope one day someone turns up the lost FASA scenarios 'Piracy/Stardust'.
I've never heard of these. Got any details?

I've never heard of these. Got any details?
They were announced as being the 'first' FASA double adventure (e.g. a booklet similar to the GDW double adventures.). In the end that honor went to 'Stazhlekh Report/The Harrensa Project'.

I'm not sure at this point who the author(s) were, but what little is known appears in the 8th (and last) issue of the 1980s British Fanzine 'Alien Star'. They closed with a news section that presumably paraphrased a FASA media release, a screen shot of the FASA portion of the news section is attached.

Whether both scenarios or only 'Stardust' was going to be set in Far Frontiers/Alsas is not clear (The scenarios in the published FASA Double Adventure are set in Far Frontiers Sector and Old Expanses Sector respectively). Adverts mentioning the booklet also appeared in JTAS.

Ultimately they 'disappeared' when FASA got the Star Trek licence and abandoned Traveller.

Attachments

• Alien_Star_8 (FASA).png
    Alien_Star_8 (FASA).png
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
Here is the advert that appeared in JTAS 12, pg 35, showing the Double Adventure booklet was originally planned to come out around the same time the Sky Raiders trilogy was being published.

Attachments

• FASA_Advert (JTAS12, P35).png
    FASA_Advert (JTAS12, P35).png
    269.6 KB · Views: 9
For anyone who wants to look further into the 'lost FASA scenarios', I've created a posting in 'Random Static' summarizing everything I know about them.

They were announced as being the 'first' FASA double adventure (e.g. a booklet similar to the GDW double adventures.). In the end that honor went to 'Stazhlekh Report/The Harrensa Project'.

I'm not sure at this point who the author(s) were, but what little is known appears in the 8th (and last) issue of the 1980s British Fanzine 'Alien Star'. They closed with a news section that presumably paraphrased a FASA media release, a screen shot of the FASA portion of the news section is attached.

Whether both scenarios or only 'Stardust' was going to be set in Far Frontiers/Alsas is not clear (The scenarios in the published FASA Double Adventure are set in Far Frontiers Sector and Old Expanses Sector respectively). Adverts mentioning the booklet also appeared in JTAS.

Ultimately they 'disappeared' when FASA got the Star Trek licence and abandoned Traveller.

FASA's 1983-1 catalog lists Piracy/Stardust as "a double adventure set in the Far Frontiers sector," so it's at least mildly implied that both would be set there. The catalog's early enough in the year to mention that the Star Trek RPG will be available March 7, 1983.

Target: Assassin was supposed to be by William Barton, but that's the only information about the module other than that it's about stopping an assassin.

There was a lot in that catalog that didn't get published - one of the 1983 releases was supposed to be "Spores of Hatred," a Star Trek adventure that involved a new government on Ekos (from "Patterns of Force") and Nazis with a nuclear bomb.

Back