• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Lots of Amber worlds in Dulinor Space

Dang... Stuck on dialup or something? Anything I can help automate?

One click to dump all records into a text file?

Once the data files are in a directory on my local machine, they are good to go. My issue is it is manual. It is just that I have to click on the main page 121 times and hit Raw Sector Data. Tab over to the that web page on the browser and change to TabDelimited in the URL. Save the result as the name of the sector with .txt extension.
My old database was a smarter as it allowed the data to be retrieved in SecondSurvey format and parse out the meta (subsector names, etc.), but it will be a while to rebuild that functionality. I still had to click and save 121 times...

I had thought to write a VBScript to do this, but I had not gotten around to it. The 121 times is that that I am picky about sectors. Only if it has been official OTU with "Approved for Use With Traveller" or published under license. Examples, I grab the Vargr and Aslan sectors because the were on the DGP dotmaps and Theta Borealis because it was and is again, but not the Hiver Sectors or the Core Route because they were never published. Excellent work there, but it does not meet the criteria I set.

I had thought to write a VBScript to do this, but I had not gotten around to it. The 121 times is that that I am picky about sectors. Only if it has been official OTU with "Approved for Use With Traveller" or published under license. Examples, I grab the Vargr and Aslan sectors because the were on the DGP dotmaps and Theta Borealis because it was and is again, but not the Hiver Sectors or the Core Route because they were never published. Excellent work there, but it does not meet the criteria I set.
I have a python script that will download a configured list of sectors in between two minutes and 20 minutes depending upon your level of need. I use it as part of the Trade Map generator. It uses the existing API, so it's very stable.

The more I play around the T5 mechanic for establishing amber and red zones, the more I dislike it. I can see high government and high law areas being dangerous and/or hard for travellers to navigate.

"This infidel extended his RIGHT hand to me, the same hand that struck down Almighty Sinestro, Lord of the Violet Worlds! Kill him!"

But I think I would rather go to that planet than some irradiated anarchy world with a 0 law level, where mutant gangs wait in the desert just outside the starport to ambush and enslave the unwary. Or a balkanized world in the midst of a civil war. Or a corrupt oligarchy planet. Basically, any low law world would be good for most travellers to avoid, expect for the hippy planet. That one's cool, just don't eat the fruit.

Groovy :cool:

*EDIT*
And speaking of post apoc worlds, I should've probably posted this on the SJ Games forum, but I think with a little imagination this could work in Traveller;

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Mad-Max-UK-Style-Posters_i8035986_.htm?AID=1033161678

"This infidel extended his RIGHT hand to me, the same hand that struck down Almighty Sinestro, Lord of the Violet Worlds! Kill him!"
Pardon the correction, but Carol Ferris is Lord of the Violet Worlds. Sinestro is Lord of the Yellow Worlds.
But I think I would rather go to that planet than some irradiated anarchy world with a 0 law level, where mutant gangs wait in the desert just outside the starport to ambush and enslave the unwary. Or a balkanized world in the midst of a civil war. Or a corrupt oligarchy planet. Basically, any low law world would be good for most travellers to avoid, expect for the hippy planet. That one's cool, just don't eat the fruit.
I don't know, part of it depends on population levels. An all but empty planets can be fun, and safaris can be profitable gigs. Civil wars chew up resources which can lead to profitable and exciting delivery missions.
Corrupt Oligarchs usually pay well.
As for the hippy planet, please bring lots of snacks.

When did this happen?

On an unrelated subject, I was looking up Lemish on TravellerMap. (I mean I was looking up Lemish on TravellerMap on an unrelated subject. But as we are talking about Amber zones here, I felt this was relavant to the thread.)

When did Lemish become an Amber Zone???

Why and when did Lemish become dangerous? Well yeah after the Vargr attacked, but my understanding was the TravellerMap data is from 1105.

Lemish has been changed due exactly to the latest T5 revision/dump
If you agree that the 1105 UWP for Lemish is
A79568C-C
WELL...Gov 8 + Law 12 (C), then the total 20 which under T5 rules means Amber Zone...sorry, End of Story. A sort of dangerous place and this not due to other campaigns like MT or TNE. As I explained in a previous post...

A79568C-C
WELL...Gov 8 + Law 12 (C), then the total 20 which under T5 rules means Amber Zone...sorry, End of Story. A sort of dangerous place and this not due to other campaigns like MT or TNE. As I explained in a previous post...

Well, at LL12 they may shoot people for littering. ;)

Any chance of doing what GURPS Traveller did, and creating a template or overlay to show things like which worlds are Droyne, or population distribution; i.e. Vilani, Genoee, Vargr and so forth?

A79568C-C
Hmm.. that is correct, I have been trying to fill in this world ever since I got the card, and this latest revision will need to change some things. Stinky, maybe, but dangerous? This is years before the baroness imports the Agambi, which had never escaped their enclosures at the Imperial zoo.

Littering is not a capital crime on Lemish. Slander can be under certain circumstances. :devil:

It is just that I have to click on the main page 121 times and hit Raw Sector Data. Tab over to the that web page on the browser and change to TabDelimited in the URL. Save the result as the name of the sector with .txt extension.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Stop! Stop it, that hurts my brain!

Step 1: Download curl.exe and get in in your path from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

Step 2: Make a batch file like this:

Code:
@echo off

for %%s in (
  spin dene corr vlan lish anta empt
  troj reft gush dush core forn ley
       verg ilel zaru mass delp glim
            reav daib dias olde hint
                 magy solo alph
) do (
  echo Fetching %%s...
  curl -kfs -o %%s.tab "https://travellermap.com/data/%%s?type=TabDelimited"
)

Step 3: Run it. Took about 13 seconds on my machine.

It will fill the directory with files (e.g. spin.tab). Obviously, extend the list to to include the sectors you care about, the above is just an example.

Population distributions are in the T5SS data, though it is coarser and perhaps not complete
http://travellermap.com/doc/secondsurvey#remarks
has the 50-60 sophont codes with populations so Bwap8 means ~80% of the pop is Bwap. Some planets are MORE detailed than others, like Regina is

1910 Regina A788899-C Ri Pa Ph An Cp (Amindii)2 Varg0 Asla0 Sa { 4 } (D7E+5) [9C6D] BcCeF NS - 703 8 ImDd F7 V BD M3 V

I guess the default if no code appears is the predominant sophont of the sector. There is even a Huma code (Human (Vilani/​Solomani-mixed))

inexorabletash,

:eek:THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU:D

The test script works!
OTOH you know this will only make me more insufferable when I whip out statistics, because the data will be more recent...:rolleyes:

The OTU and the LTU are but shadows of the true Empire /nod
Sorely tempted to link to the official SW soundtrack for the game of the same name, but BBS rules make it verboten since it would be linking to pirated material. Cool music, by the way. Very Space Opera for Traveller; lots of enemies, lots of derring do and other heroics.

Drakon; so maybe I can drop a hot dog wrapper, but I better not say this place looks like a pigsty. Is that right? :eek:

Nathan; you're going to hate me, BUT, I guess what I was really curious about is if there might be some kind of visual overlay in the future where you can click on "Vilani", and a portion of the map lights up in red or yellow or something, and as you zoom up you see that the hexes are colored, denoting that there are indeed Vilani or whatever inhabiting this world.

It would be the kind of thing you'd find in an Imperial sociology class.

The reason I ask is because a race like the Droyne have essentially "their own empire" while all the time still being present and a passive part of whatever government claims the world on which they have their city. In the GURPS Droyne sup (sorry, I can't remember the number), they have a map towards the end with stars throughout Imperial space denoting Droyne worlds.

That always struck me as funny, because it says that the Droyne, even though they're Imperial citizens, or citizens of wherever they are, sort of tolerate humaniti all the while still acting as their own social unit. It'd be like going to Chinatown in San Francisco and seeing Chinese restauraunts and shops, hearing Chinese spoken while seeing Chinese workers and ordinary folks do their thing. Only we're talking Droyne.

I don't know ... I thought it might be interesting. Nevermind me. Just read my blog :D

Why and when did Lemish become dangerous?

Remember, Amber Zones in the Imperium are a TAS designation, not a government label. The Traveller's Aid Society deems that combination of government and enforcement to be hazardous to travellers. It does not mean the world is particularly dangerous to its own citizens, who should know the laws and how not to break them. A visitor, on the other hand, could draw excessive Police harassment or incarceration for carrying nail clippers in the wrong pocket, being dressed like an outworlder, or just advertising that they've read the wrong books.

Weirdness report; I just clicked on Hrike, hex 0530 in Aslan space. And instead of getting a popup over the map, a new tab opened in my browser showing the pop. Some HTML code flashed for a split second before the popup appeared.

Just an FYI.

Hmm.. that is correct, I have been trying to fill in this world ever since I got the card, and this latest revision will need to change some things. Stinky, maybe, but dangerous? This is years before the baroness imports the Agambi, which had never escaped their enclosures at the Imperial zoo.

Littering is not a capital crime on Lemish. Slander can be under certain circumstances. :devil:

Actually, a capital crime would make it a red zone.
As an amber zone, they probably just cut off the guilty hand. :)

Back