• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Marine TOE

Using this site for reference I've come up with this:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Weapon warhead wpn mass/kg pen
M72 66mm 3.5 42
M136 84mm 7.5 46
RPG-29 65/105mm 12.1 50
RPG-7 93mm 6.3 46
64/105mm 6.3 52</pre>[/QUOTE]The rocket masses are a little bit harder to find...

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Using this site for reference I've come up with this:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Weapon warhead wpn mass/kg pen
M72 66mm 3.5 42
M136 84mm 7.5 46
RPG-29 65/105mm 12.1 50
RPG-7 93mm 6.3 46
64/105mm 6.3 52</pre>
The rocket masses are a little bit harder to find... [/quote]Yep, that is what I had in mind thinking about ATGL/RL/RRs. And all of those are TL6/7. Think about what a TL12 version of an AT4 (84mm disposable ATRL) could do!

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
According to MT the ARL is more capable than the gauss rifle in some respects - greater penetration and un-eratta damage - but loses out in other areas - weight, ammo capacity etc.

Didn't we do all the support weapon variants earlier in this thread?

Or is there another.....
If you go here Autoweapons by The Oz you will see my thoughts on some more CT/STRIKER support weapons.

I used the TLAR system to design these weapons (That Looks About Right). I don't claim any particular technical accuracy for them and I'd love to see alternatives.

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
I still marvel at the lack of a TL10+ equivalent to the SAW/LMG at the Fireteam level and the lack of a GPMG at the Platoon Level.
Look for one of my articles in the upcoming Stellar Reaches for a Gauss SAW... </font>[/QUOTE]I just looked at the TNE rules for the first time. There is a Gauss SAW in there. But I still like my TriBarrel.

Originally posted by The Oz:
If you go here Autoweapons by The Oz you will see my thoughts on some more CT/STRIKER support weapons.

I used the TLAR system to design these weapons (That Looks About Right). I don't claim any particular technical accuracy for them and I'd love to see alternatives.
Thanks for those Oz

On a related subject, what do you think would be a TL12 Marine's general equipment (that is, other than weapon, ammo, Combat Armor, grenades, radio and vision enhanchers); how much of it would be always carried on person, and how much will be typically carried by the unit's "organic" G-Carrier?

By the way, I've just read through a page detailing The Roman (Imperial era) Legion. The Roman organization looks remarkably modern for a TL1 force, or, more accurately, I was amazed as to the amount of influnce the Roman system apparantly had on the modern one. Or a more relevant issue, One could easily convert it to a Traveller high-TL organization, by removing the swordfighting-relevant bits (i.e. the order of cohorts in the field), replacing the TL1 artillery with modern artilley, and replacing cavalry with armor/Grav vehicles.

Or, as I have always said: technology doesn't really change that much about warfare. It makes the killing levels higher - until the tech increases automation and your killing level goes back down. It may change specific tactics, or revive "outdated" ones. But, you can definitely fight a modern war using Sun Tzu, Clausewitz and Julius Ceasar.

(About the only real innovations have been aircraft allowing use of the third dimension, and modern communications.)

Originally posted by Fritz88:

(About the only real innovations have been aircraft allowing use of the third dimension, and modern communications.)
You've forgotten the submarine - same effect as of aircraft for naval warfare. It has added depth to naval combat :D

Right you are, 2-4601. Though, interestingly, it takes out the communications advantages - it has a difficult time communicating at c while submerged. (It's not impossible, just harder than turning on your radio and keying the mike.)

Back