• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Medic's "Red Bag"

sabredog

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
This is an item for players who are the designated medic of the group, or one can be sitting in the ubiquitous Ship's Locker as part of mandatory safety gear required for carrying passengers. Or something like that.

I would print out this sheet and give it to the player so they could record what they put "in" the bag and mark off consumables. It also gave them the rules info for treating characters. The bag gets more compact as TL increases, but while the tools might get more techy they still do the same job for game purposes and for marking off how many supplies there are. The "average" Red Bag will be about the size of a small duffel or medium sized backpack.

Personal first aid or combat trauma kits can be treated as a single-use item that does the same things as a Red Bag's aid set, but only once.

Medical "Red Bag"

The kit has all the supplies needed to treat and stabilize wounded personnel. The kit contains scalpels, extra blades, suturing needles and assorted thread (wire and dissolving fiber), scissors, forceps, probes, and tweezers. There are bandages and dressing materials to supply the kit's number of treatments. The kit also has an injection gun for administering medication.

The kit has a limited amount of consumable supplies for treating wounded characters. For every first aid attempt made on a character, a set of supplies is used whether the attempt is successful or not. Included in these sets of supplies are cleaning, dressing, bandaging, and medication materials. Once the kit is empty of these sets the medic cannot treat characters who are severely wounded (two attributes at zero), but may still treat others at a -1DM.

When a character is treated the medic will roll for success. Success results in some attribute points being restored and the character stabilized. While as many rolls can be made as supplies are available, success can only be effective once per combat situation as far as regaining points. It does still need to be made to achieve stabilizing the wounded character if additional wounding occurs that leads to zeroed attributes. In these cases, the character is stabilized and they will not degrade further from bleeding or shock. Recovery will require further, more advanced treatment.

Aid Sets: O O O O O O O O O O O O <Sets cost 300 Cr. each when replacing them.>

The kit also has room for extra medications to be stored for used beyond the ones used in each aid set. The exact medications are up to the user, but generally consist of extra Medical Drug, Medical Slow, Fast, No-Shock, Anti-REM, and various painkillers. List those and their dosages here:

All consumables should be kept track of by the user to ensure proper supplies are available and possibly for billing purposes.

Nice, but let me say that instead of an injection gun, I'd put pre-loaded injections in the kit. While this may be argeable (and, of course, me being a nurse may bias my view), I see some advantages on them, the main ones being:

• an injection gun needs more space than several pre-loaded injections
  • an injection gun is slower to load (as the injections are pre-loaded), more so in stress situations
  • injections can be applied though vac-suits1, while injection gun cannot
  • a failure in the injection gun would leave you fully unable to apply meds, while pre-loaded injections must all of them fail to be all useless.

note 1: I remember having read somewhere that the Zhodani Combat Armor had some zones in the upper arms that were self-sealing just to ease the injection of meds

Last edited:
Nice, but let me say that instead of an injection gun, I'd put pre-loaded injections in the kit. While this may be argeable (and, of course, me being a nurse may bias my view), I see some advantages on them, the main ones being:

• an injection gun needs more space tan several pre-loaded injections
  • an injection gun is slower to load (as the injections are pre-loaded), more so in stress situations
  • injections can be applied though vac-suits1, while injection gun cannot
  • a failure in the injection gun would leave you fully unable to apply meds, while pre-loaded injections must all of them fail to be all useless.

note 1: I remember having read somewhere that the Zhodani Combat Armor had some zones in the upper arms that were self-sealing just to ease the injection of meds

Oh definitely....I would imagine any kind of protective 'hard' armor would have similar sites for that sort of thing, though IMTU Battle Dress has automated "Trauma Maintenance Systems" to do the work of stabilizing the wearer. Whatever can get through BD is going to be pretty serious.

This was meant to be a sort of generic medic bag and mini-rules for using it for a player-medic. As I mentioned in the write-up, depending on TL and personal preference the contents can change but they all achieve basically the same results. In my recent campaign the PC who was an actual Naval doctor/surgeon collected all sorts of extra bits in his red bag as the crew moved around. On one low-tech world the best he could find was some penicillin-type pills, on another he was ecstatic to find a whole box of auto-injectors of Medical Drug combined with No-Shok. It turned into a sort of portable Ship's Locker for medics, but nothing that couldn't fit in a small duffle like the ones we (in real life) carried in our patrol cars.

He lost it in one big battle where they were helping colonists fight off a hostile takeover and it was funny how much of a panic that started because the rest of the group stopped carrying their own trauma kits.

BTW: I use the rules (somewhat modified for more detail) for wounds and medics in JTAS #11. They really do well to expand the usefulness of medical PC's and heartily recommend them. Given your personal background I think you'd find them very interesting.

Any stabilize/shock throw should be TL adjusted, with greater costs for the higher TL bags.

I use adjustments for stabilizing and shock based on the medical character's skills and the TL of the gear used to adjust the recovery (as well as determining how complete recovery will be). You can stabilize a gunshot wound with pretty basic stuff that isn't more than a tourniquet and bandages, and skilled medic is gold for that. But the quality of care, including medicines, you have afterwards will really make a difference on how soon and well you recover from it, if at all. A bad doctor, no antibiotics, and similar will kill someone who had the fanciest gear used on them in the field. But your take on it may differ.

I use the rules in JTAS #11 as well. They are awesome for this stuff. Also, the drugs used have plenty of DM's and effects so I have always figured the TL for those is reflected in their use without adding more.

This will mainly depend on the environment you're working on (as a medic, I mean).

In the inmediate care of a trauma wound (so, outside the hospital and before you reach it), the techinques you use today are not too different from lower TL ones.

You have better diagnostics instruments and better drugs, if you're in an ambulance, but, I guess in combat situations all those gear as defibrilators, monitorization equipment, etc. are too fragile to be taken into it (aside from what the Hi-Tech armor itself may have, but it's likely to be useless if the person inside is heavily wounded, as the armor would probably not be in its better working condition then). Better drugs, of course, would be able to be carried in combat zone (unless they need pumps, somenting not to rare in critical treatment ones).

So, I agree with sabredog on this. The TL would have little effect in immediate trauma care in combat zone, albeit once in hoispital it can be a critical factor.

In more quiet zones (as a city ambulance), of course, this materials (and even stretcher-like grav-assisted portable emergency low berts) can be taken, and so the TL may also make the difference.

Last edited:
The miniaturization of diagnostic and monitoring equipment is an easy DARPA solution. The durability and utility of those devices are reaching frontline units.
However under TC3 principals the way you treat is different.

One add on is a PDA with star system based immunization recommendations. As other TL eqv light weight Gamow Bag for isolation or rapid depressization victims.

I would steer away from quick clot or any exothermic anti-hemmoragic agents.

Zowie!

This is an item for players who are the designated medic of the group, or one can be sitting in the ubiquitous Ship's Locker as part of mandatory safety gear required for carrying passengers. Or something like that.

I would print out this sheet and give it to the player so they could record what they put "in" the bag and mark off consumables. It also gave them the rules info for treating characters. The bag gets more compact as TL increases, but while the tools might get more techy they still do the same job for game purposes and for marking off how many supplies there are. The "average" Red Bag will be about the size of a small duffel or medium sized backpack.

Personal first aid or combat trauma kits can be treated as a single-use item that does the same things as a Red Bag's aid set, but only once.

Medical "Red Bag"

The kit has all the supplies needed to treat and stabilize wounded personnel. The kit contains scalpels, extra blades, suturing needles and assorted thread (wire and dissolving fiber), scissors, forceps, probes, and tweezers. There are bandages and dressing materials to supply the kit's number of treatments. The kit also has an injection gun for administering medication.

The kit has a limited amount of consumable supplies for treating wounded characters. For every first aid attempt made on a character, a set of supplies is used whether the attempt is successful or not. Included in these sets of supplies are cleaning, dressing, bandaging, and medication materials. Once the kit is empty of these sets the medic cannot treat characters who are severely wounded (two attributes at zero), but may still treat others at a -1DM.

When a character is treated the medic will roll for success. Success results in some attribute points being restored and the character stabilized. While as many rolls can be made as supplies are available, success can only be effective once per combat situation as far as regaining points. It does still need to be made to achieve stabilizing the wounded character if additional wounding occurs that leads to zeroed attributes. In these cases, the character is stabilized and they will not degrade further from bleeding or shock. Recovery will require further, more advanced treatment.

Aid Sets: O O O O O O O O O O O O <Sets cost 300 Cr. each when replacing them.>

The kit also has room for extra medications to be stored for used beyond the ones used in each aid set. The exact medications are up to the user, but generally consist of extra Medical Drug, Medical Slow, Fast, No-Shock, Anti-REM, and various painkillers. List those and their dosages here:

All consumables should be kept track of by the user to ensure proper supplies are available and possibly for billing purposes.
Any chance of getting my hands on one of those sheets? And damn, this is a brilliant idea. The write up rocks.

EDIT: Also, what's Anti-REM drug? Somehow I don't think it's Rapid Eye Movement. :)

Last edited:
Pocket Defibrillator.

Wetzler Medical's Pocket Defibrillator (Model H180/10c).*

TL-C. Mass: 0.25 Kg. Cost: Cr 700. Dimensions:12cm x 6 cm x 1.75 cm.

Description.

Wetzler Medical's Pocket Defibrillator (Model H180/10c) is one of the most common brands of human rated pocket defibrillators seen in the Permatic Imperium. The device is manufactured at an interstellar tech level and has a ruggedized form factor designed for use by both medical professionals and untrained personnel in field situations such as first response or combat operations. This device is rated for a three (3) deck fall and continued functioning as well as up to 4 hours unprotected use in hostile environments such corrosive atmospheres (after which point the insulation on the leads is eaten through and short circuits are likely). It is not designed to be used in conductive liquid environments but can be submerged, it can also be exposed to vacuum conditions as the form factor is sealed when properly closed. It is part of every human's personal first aid kit issued to regular members of the Permatic Imperial Armed Forces (Army, Navy, and Marines); Commandos and the Royal Armed Services (Navy and Marines) carry a much more complicated and proprietary device. It can also be found in most Medic kits sold on high tech worlds and on Guild Liners for use till the ship's professional crew can get to the emergency. In addition it is popular with Travellers who can carry one in those instances when a professional medic isn't available.

Advances in energy storage brought about by a society's rise to the stars allows this device a form factor that is compact and still capable of holding 10 charges at maximum charge. The Pocket Defibrillator comes in a self contained case which includes: the base unit with battery, a dedicated Model/0 pre-loaded with cardiac diagnostic/treatment software with text, voice, and graphic user prompts, 15 sets of sensor/charge pads, and a wire set with clamps to connect the pads to the base unit. Pocket Defibrillators can be easily purchased from medical supply companies either on worlds with TL-C or better as well as most Class A or B starports.

Replacing the consumables (pads and battery) costs Cr 150.

Models with rechargeable batteries can be purchased for an additional Cr 100 and come with a variety of the most common recharging connectors. In some locations this item can also have an electrical stunner installed for Cr 50. It takes 2 hours to complete the modification by a Certified Armorer (Exotics) and is compliant with Law Level-6 standards for use and carry.

*Other brands as well as lower tech versions are available without the ruggedized features and fewer charges down to TL-A and of course higher tech versions with better features, more charges, and tougher form factor are available as well. Variations are available for non-human and non-standard human species which also have a cardiac system for blood or its analogs but is not consistent with standard Type-T human anatomy.

This device meets the minimum form factor, usability, and technology level (medical device) standards required for issue to human (Type-T, standard) members of the Imperial Armed Forces.

Last edited:
Please email me at editor@freelancetraveller.com with (at the very least) a statement of permission to use this "In A Store Near You" and your real name for byline credit, and optionally another copy of this posting, with any revisions you feel appropriate.

Pocket Defibrillator

TL-C+. Mass: 0.25 Kg. Cost: Cr 700. Dimensions:12cm x 6 cm x 1.75 cm.

Description. The Pocket Defibrillator is an interstellar tech level ruggidized device designed for use by medic in field situations such as first response or combat operations. Adavnces in energy storage brought about by a society's rise to the stars allows this device a form factor that is compact and still capable of holding 10 charges at maximum charge. The Pocket Defibrillator comes in a self contained case which includes: the bsse unit with battery, a dedicated Model/0 pre-loaded with cardic diagnostic/treatment software with text, voice, and graphic user promts, 10 sets of sensor/charge pads, and a wire set with clamps to connect the pads to the base unit.

Replacing the consumables (pads and battery) costs Cr 150.

Pocket Defibrillators can be easily purchased from medical supply companies either on worlds with TL-C or better or a Class A or B starport.

***​

Just a little something that came to me while reading this thread. Comments as usual welcomed.

I find TL C quite overrated...

While a little larger and quite more expensive, we already have this IRL.

See inbox...

Magnus, assume that my note to sabredog at the top level of this thread also applies to you for this...
I sent you a permission slip. But I'm lazy so I'm gonna let you cut and paste it. :p

Plus I need to maybe fluff it up a bit more later for my own book.

And thanks, rather chuffed to have made it. :D

EDIT: [o]I lied by accident, I'll send you a copy when I finish it.[/o] :) Sent off the proper version with tags removed and everything.

Last edited:
Snob. :p

I find TL C quite overrated...

While a little larger and quite more expensive, we already have this IRL.
Really? I know we have kits but not something this small and with multiple charges or so I thought. Not to mention being able to be dropped three decks and still function, and in hostile environments. I did mention it's ruggedized and for field medics to use. So, I didn't think the TL was that outrageous. To be honest it was originally gonna be TL-A but I was unsure about the form factor and energy requirements and storage so I erred on the conservative side for once.

EDIT: Updated the entry so maybe now it makes more sense. :D

Last edited:
Any chance of getting my hands on one of those sheets? And damn, this is a brilliant idea. The write up rocks.

EDIT: Also, what's Anti-REM drug? Somehow I don't think it's Rapid Eye Movement. :)

Yes, I'll mock one up for you and post it post-haste. Sorry for the late response, my attendance has been spotty for a variety of reasons but I'm getting back into it.

Anti-REM is a drug I have for reducing radiation poisoning. To wit:

Anti-REM TL-9+ 800Cr./dose per rating level

Helps the body to resist radiation poisoning and damage. The drug is rated at levels 1-5 which each translates to a percentile reduction of radiation damage which might be received as result of high radiation weapon hits. For example, crew taking the drug have the percentile chance given by the drug’s rating as a saving throw against becoming casualties from radiation weapon hits such as from PAW’s. On the ground troops entering nuclear contaminated areas who might take damage from exposure have the damage reduced by the percentile rating of the drug.

I thought I had posted some drugs I use in my campaign somewhere around here....I'll have to again.

Very cool.

Yes, I'll mock one up for you and post it post-haste. Sorry for the late response, my attendance has been spotty for a variety of reasons but I'm getting back into it.

Anti-REM is a drug I have for reducing radiation poisoning. To wit:

Anti-REM TL-9+ 800Cr./dose per rating level

Helps the body to resist radiation poisoning and damage. The drug is rated at levels 1-5 which each translates to a percentile reduction of radiation damage which might be received as result of high radiation weapon hits. For example, crew taking the drug have the percentile chance given by the drug’s rating as a saving throw against becoming casualties from radiation weapon hits such as from PAW’s. On the ground troops entering nuclear contaminated areas who might take damage from exposure have the damage reduced by the percentile rating of the drug.

I thought I had posted some drugs I use in my campaign somewhere around here....I'll have to again.
Sweet. I'd totes be interested in that.

Back