• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MegaTraveller Ship Construction, heavily modified

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
MT vehicle design is something I never wanted to use.

However, there is a LOT of good stuff in there.

That, and a recent post, got me wondering what I might do to make MT more palatable to me... more as I think about this.

Liters and cubic meters never worked -- for me -- for example. Probably it was to accommodate vehicle design.

Excessive accuracy (more than two significant digits, perhaps) never worked for me. Similarly, absurdly small numbers never seemed worth handling (e.g. 0.00003 MW) -- some of which had to do with compromises in scale in order to accommodate vehicles.

I know that one of the issues for me is how ranges do not match up with MT's own range bands, used by their combat system. A relatively simple adjustment of changing ship component ranges to be in MT's range numbers, instead of hard kilometers, would be one step in making designs more immediately useful.

On the other hand, a ship's sensor signature seems to be more useful as an actual target (or even Characteristic) number, rather than a label ("Faint").

While I'm talking about components, when looking at the communicator tables, I could see some baked-in rules floating just beyond my grasp, which related the tech level of the device to its power and range. Living in a post-T5 world, I would rather those modifiers be encoded in their own little TL Effects table, making them a general rule to apply to all of MegaTraveller equipment -- if desired for customization.

Last edited:
MT vehicle design is something I never wanted to use.

However, there is a LOT of good stuff in there.

That, and a recent post, got me wondering what I might do to make MT more palatable to me... more as I think about this.

Liters and cubic meters never worked -- for me -- for example. Probably it was to accommodate vehicle design.

Excessive accuracy (more than two significant digits, perhaps) never worked for me. Similarly, absurdly small numbers never seemed worth handling (e.g. 0.00003 MW) -- some of which had to do with compromises in scale in order to accommodate vehicles.

I know that one of the issues for me is how ranges do not match up with MT's own range bands, used by their combat system. A relatively simple adjustment of changing ship component ranges to be in MT's range numbers, instead of hard kilometers, would be one step in making designs more immediately useful.

On the other hand, a ship's sensor signature seems to be more useful as an actual target (or even Characteristic) number, rather than a label ("Faint").

While I'm talking about components, when looking at the communicator tables, I could see some baked-in rules floating just beyond my grasp, which related the tech level of the device to its power and range. Living in a post-T5 world, I would rather those modifiers be encoded in their own little TL Effects table, making them a general rule to apply to all of MegaTraveller equipment -- if desired for customization.

I believe the communicators evolved from Striker. I'm not sure what you mean by, "all of MegaTraveller equipment." What are you looking at applying the radio miniaturization pattern to?

Yeah, it is a bit crunchy, but having significant figures to as much as three digits meant places to stash that equipment you carry that was a liter in volume...

:)

Yeah, it is a bit crunchy, but having significant figures to as much as three digits meant places to stash that equipment you carry that was a liter in volume...

:)

I, on the other hand, liked the integration between ships, craft, and vehicles. I wish I had a spreadsheet to go back to MT...or a Rob who can design things.

Adm. Aramais P. Le
Loose Cannon and Chain-Yanker

I, on the other hand, liked the integration between ships, craft, and vehicles. I wish I had a spreadsheet to go back to MT...or a Rob who can design things.

Adm. Aramais P. Le
Loose Cannon and Chain-Yanker

As did I... but the cost of it was niggling details and slow design work.

As did I... but the cost of it was niggling details and slow design work.

One System To Rule Them All is compelling... and tends to be more compact than scattering two or three mutually incompatible design systems all about.

And, I think MT design can shrug off the niggling details when they're truly niggling (MOARN, right?). At certain setpoints, the visual units must change.

So, precision is where those who love Striker and I part ways.

Back