• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchant Flight 400 ton Subbie

Class: Market Flight
Type: Far Trader
Architect: Father Fletch
Tech Level: 12

USP R1-46110R1-030000-10001-0 MCr 117.812 400 Tons
Bat Bear 1/1/1 Crew: 6
Bat 1//1/1 TL: 12
Cargo: 228.5 Passengers: 12 Low Berth: 12 Fuel: 48 EP: 5 Agility: 0
Craft: 1 x 5T Air/Raft
Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops and On Board Fuel Purification
Architects Fee: MCr 1.175 Cost in Quantity: MCr 94.305
Detailed Description (T20 Design)
HULL
400 tons standard, 5,600 cubic meters, Flattened Sphere Configuration, 100 Structure Points
CREW
Pilot, Navigator, Engineer, Steward, Medic, Gunner
ENGINEERING
Jump-1, 1G Manuever, 7.5 Ton Power Plant, 5 EP, Agility 0
AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/1bis Computer, Model/1 Flight Avionics, Model/3 Sensors, Model/3 Communications
HARDPOINTS
1 Hardpoint
ARMAMENT
1 Triple Mixed Turret with:
1 Pulse Laser (Factor-1)
1 Missile Rack (Factor-1).
DEFENCES
1 Sandcaster in the Mixed Turret, organised into 1 Battery (Factor-3)
CRAFT
1 5 ton Air/Raft (Crew of 0, Cost of MCr 0.275)
FUEL
48 Tons Fuel (1 parsecs jump and 28 days endurance)
On Board Fuel Scoops, On Board Fuel Purification Plant
MISCELLANEOUS
15 Staterooms, 12 Low Berths, 1 Additional Airlock, 4 High Passengers, 8 Middle Passengers, 12 Low Passengers, 228.500 Tons Cargo
USER DEFINED COMPONENTS
None
COST
MCr 118.712 Singly (incl. Architects fees of MCr 1.175)
MCr 94.030 in Quantity, plus MCr 0.275 of Carried Craft (Hardpoints and Turrets charged)
CONSTRUCTION TIME
82 Weeks Singly, 65 Weeks in Quantity
COMMENTS
The Market Flight far trader was designed to operate in "emerging markets" areas with less than complete SDB coverage and intermittent support and fueling facilities.
The design goal for the team was to make a ship, built to TL 12 standards, capable of covering at least 2 parsecs in one Imperial calendar month. It also needed to be capable of running on unrefined fuel or capable of frontier refueling and refining. Given that there was a higher risk of pirate or commerce raiding in these types of systems the ship had to have at least one hardpoint dedicated, capable of mounting at a minimum 1 pulse/PDF laser and one sandcaster. Other than that the ship would need to be streamlined or mount a sub-craft capable of both shuttling cargo and fuel to and from orbit. To be able to perform economically it should be capable of carrying a minimum of 6 high passengers, or 12 middle passengers and at least 180 standard displacement tons. That amount being the standard load out for one Imperial Army infantry company support supplies for one Standard month. The cargo deck should be capable of mounting Imperial standardized cargo containers, with all ancillary power, data, environmental, and safety links up to SPA-12-A cargo specifications.
The team met or exceeded all of the standards given, and in a package that comes in under MCr. 100, for ships coming off a production line. While the one-off cost is MCr. 117 the likelihood of this design becoming popular in Imperial fringe areas is high given it's price break in bulk.
Only the bridge cut-in and the turret blister on the dorsal surface break the sleek lines. The smooth, lifting body design takes advantage of the "flattened sphere" concept, which aids design and production savings. This also means that the ship is capable of interface and gas giant skimming duties. This precludes the need for a ships launch, though the design has an Air/Raft garage located on the aft dorsal slope of the ship, just below the turret. This is above the thruster plates, and the Air/Raft is capable of being deployed in Orbit. In atmosphere the ship's RAS (Relative Atmospheric Speed) needs to be below 80 kph or severe buffeting from the slipstream increases the risk of a collision during deployment.
The lower deck is the cargo deck, and its open plan is reminiscent of subsidized merchants of similar displacement. With cargo hatches capable of opening to port, starboard, fore and aft, the ability to take on and discharge cargo quickly is excellent with this design.
The passenger area has viewing and dining areas that face aft, often providing dramatic displays of the ship's contrail and aurora discharges when she is performing GG refueling operations. The passengers are carefully divided by security hatches and bulkheads from engineering and the bridge areas.
Hortalez et Cie studies have shown that in most ship losses to piracy, there was at least one "insider" aboard when the ship was taken, often a last minute passenger. The passengers even enter the ship from a dedicated airlock linking to their deck, or through the Air/Raft Garage, a popular option on planets without jet ways capable of reaching the passenger airlock.
To aid her in transiting high-risk systems the Merchant Flight mounts not only a triple turret meeting the design specs, but also she carries an updated model 1bis computer with extended range commercial grade sensors and communicators. Most merchant ships simply cannot stand and fight with dedicated corsair or military craft. The Merchant Flight, by using better sensors than most, is capable of seeing potential trouble long before the bad guys expect her too. This means she is given that most valuable commodity in combat, early warning. The missile mount and dedicated gunner station in the turret (accessible only from the crew deck) means that she can leave an unpleasant surprise for a pursuer. Her pulse laser and sandcaster also help her keep her hull intact by swatting incoming missiles and dissipating incoming lasers.
The engineering spaces are alongside the cargo deck and accessible only through secure hatchways. The bridge is located forward of the crew deck, and contains roomy workstations, providing all the controls the pilot and navigator need for safe flight. A dirt side office is built into the cargo area to encourage contact with customers. Since some ships act as shippers, wholesalers and retailers, all in one trip, this has made the design particularly popular with free traders looking to step up from traditional Imperial Design Package merchants.
By mounting collapsible tanks, (for which plumbing points are included on the cargo deck) the Merchant Flight can make J2 or J3 in one standard month if a rift needs to be crossed. This also allows her to bypass refueling in dangerous systems.
There are plans to offer a higher performance design package, as well as an upgrade to models all ready in service. They promise to make this versatile and potentially profitable design even more attractive.
alpha.gif

Aye Father,
She sounds like a bonnie lass. Real solid, good thoughtfull interior layout. And she favors the independant traders. Would you have a wee picture of the old girl for a bunch of space dogs to see?

In other words, I am so visually oriented I have to get my news from the comics section of my daily paper. Do the deckplans already exist?

Always appreciate new ship designs, thanks for sharing your work.

Took me awile to remember where I read "Subbie" before. I am guessing this is your answer to the Traveller Handbook's(page 337) Subsidized Merchant(Type R). Never liked a ship without weapons, your write-up shows what a practical ship could start out as from the ship yard. Especially liked the attention to detail for ship security and simultaneous cargo lading/unlading(from the ship's four compass points no less.) Again, well done and many thanks.

Sounds good, about the deck plans, and the "subbie" description is quite good to my brief scan. Thanks!

Nice design Father Fletch, I especially like the write up, breathes life into it! :cool:

I do however have one small complaint/friendly critique. I believe you, or the program/spreadsheet, may have made a small interpretive error in the T20 design process for the Ship's Computer model as it relates to the allowed Ship Sensors model and Communications model as explained in my post here.

Back