• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Milieu Overview: New Era (1201)

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
I'd like to do a treatment for TNE similar to the one I did for Virus. It is setting-only, with no mechanics considerations, so it probably distills mainly from Survival Margin. However, I don't know the TNE corpus, so I think I am missing a lot of core concepts for this era that I'd like to capture briefly.

For example, I don't really know much about the Hivers' interest in the Star Vikings. I don't know what role the K'Kree play, including Lords of Thunder. I don't know how the Reformation Coalition matters to players, nor the Regency. I know there's a lot of things to know, but I don't know what they are.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I got some things wrong in the Virus quasi-milieu entry as well, using TNE structures in the wrong place. I'd like to know that too.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Go and read the interview with Dave Nilsen, you used to have a copy of it in condensed form I think, if not I have it all as a word document.

I say this because we can infer stuff from it that didn't appear in MJD's stuff.

First, it is a game about exploration and rebuilding, with plenty of opportunities for the ethically challenged merchant...

Hivers - they make contact with the group that will become the Reformation Coalition and assist in them returning to interstellar travel. Dave's notes show there is a lot more to the Hivers than we find out in the published works, he was going to write a trilogy of adventures where we would learn a lot more about the Hiver motivations and actions plus some rather unsavory revelations. This includes the overt manipulation of human polities and the complete eradication of a human settlement/experiment within the Federation.

As to the RC they go out and smash and grab, foster alliances and end up in conflict with a polity that could wipe the floor with them.

Again from Dave we learn that the RC are saved thanks to the adventure in Vampire Fleets and the discovery of a 'sane' Virus entity.

The Guilded Lily adventure was also the start of a trilogy, and again from Dave we learn that the finally would have been the discovery of a TL15/16 Imperial ship construction facility.

Meanwhile the retconned wave has obliterated the Spinward Marches so forget about everything connected to the Regency unless the retcon is retconned.

Assuming the wave is still nowhere near the Spinward Marches then the Regency begins exploring beyond the quarantine zones. They have to find out what has spooked the Zhodani so much and the state of the Imperium...

At some point the Regency would have run into the RC and they would have come into conflict - especially since the RC ships now have a viral crew member.

But a bigger threat looms.

Merchants and explorers, both Guild and independent, have long since learned not to get too close to the sector around core. Ships that risk it never return hence it is referred to as the Black Curtain.

Again from Dave - the curtain begins to expand. The various polities now have to find common ground to defeat the horror that has befallen Lucan's Imperium.

TL15,16 and even 17 industrial high population worlds churning out machines of war, with cyborg populations manning the factories, vehicles, and warships. Amongst the cyborg troops are cybernetically augmented K'kree, the hideous remnants of experiments performed on the defeated Lords of Thunder.

To defeat this threat the Star Vikings commit an atrocity, and those that survive, while initially hailed as heors, soon become caste out due to the guilt of what they did.

Meanwhile the wave is still approaching the Regency...

Go and read the interview with Dave Nilsen, you used to have a copy of it in condensed form I think, if not I have it all as a word document.

Thanks for this good advice. Unfortunately, I find I am even less interested than before about it! I find that strange.

It's a great setting, exploring, rebuilding, conflict resolution - with big bads that you can mow down with no qualms whatsoever.

Until you get to the atrocity...

The Guilded Lily adventure was also the start of a trilogy, and again from Dave we learn that the finally would have been the discovery of a TL15/16 Imperial ship construction facility.

The eventually-released version of Into the Darkness from ComStar retconned this into a TL12 Class A Highport capable of building one Far Trader per year, located at Iiselu (Diaspora 1826).

Which shows what happens when third party authors write stuff they haven't done the research for.

To take on Lucan's Imperium would take several plot threats to weave together:

Regency - high TL manufacturing and psionics
RC - the cannon fodder, Sandman AI
Guildel Lilly - the Imperial warship production facility
Hivers - high TL manufacturing and Ithklur.

The outcome was to be a PC level event, probably told by a trilogy of adventures (it appears to be Dave's preferred format) or a big campaign book.

It would not have involved the god level coordination of the 'grand fleet' of chartered space in the fifth battle of Manticore.

I imagine the adventures would involve playing as a Star Viking team - RC, Ithklur, Regency, AI, 'civilian contractors' - taking a state of the art small ship - possibly as large as a Clipper - on a one way mission to commit the ultimate atrocity - to install a Hiver engineered Sandman based virus onto every world they could, getting to Core if possible. The result of this perfected weapon would be the destruction of the computer and cybernetic control networks enslaving the automatons left within the Imperium - the death toll could well be measured in trillions. Or, and this is really nasty, it allows you to take control of all those computers, cyborgs and robots, but the cyborged citizens can not be freed... or make up your own nasty ending.

We know from the future history comments in the TNR published material that there was an atrocity, and we also know the dates by which all of this had been done in the past.

I can't help with the Reformation Coalition. That wasn't really my forte.

I CAN help with the Regency. I had to know that sucker to be able to do the Spinward States for 1248. Whatcha wanna know about it?

Back