• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Miniatures from the past

Originally posted by Don M aka Redleg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thirdmargrave:
Bring back Grenadier's Imperial Marines!!
I have 5 boxes of them painted ....... Now I'm
trying to find something close in 15mm... ;)
</font>[/QUOTE]Ground Zero Games' UN Space Command Hardsuit Marines look pretty close to Imperial Marines. They do versions in both 25mm and 15mm.

There are pictures of the 25mm versions here:

http://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.html?target=Ground_Zero_GamesStargrunt_25mmUnited_Nations_Space_CommandUNSC_Marines.html

The 15mm versions are also listed in the GZG catalog, but I can't scare up a picture.

http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi

[/qb][/QUOTE]Ground Zero Games' UN Space Command Hardsuit Marines look pretty close to Imperial Marines. They do versions in both 25mm and 15mm.

There are pictures of the 25mm versions here:

http://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.html?target=Ground_Zero_GamesStargrunt_25mmUnited_Nations_Space_CommandUNSC_Marines.html

The 15mm versions are also listed in the GZG catalog, but I can't scare up a picture.

http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi [/QB][/QUOTE]

I've got a bunch of GZGs stuff from ships to troops in 25mm. Just haven't ordered any of
their 15mm yet. Your right though the UN types do look close.

Well, I have my miniatures out and lined up.

15mm Irregular Miniatures Space Marines are bigger then GZG, Laserburn, Grenadier and Peter Pig miniatures.
By best guess is that they are 19mm.
Lucky for me that I only ordered one pack of them.

Everything else mixes in really well with each other.

BTW- GypsyComet
I thought it was Martian Metals, but another company that also burnt down in 1996. Maity Miniatures, They did four lines of sci-fi infantry in 15mm and three APCs(Track, Grav and Wheeled) Infantry sold $6.25!! for 8 figs and each APC was something line $13.00 each. They did not sell may figs before burning down.

Originally posted by Leondus Hutchison:

15mm Irregular Miniatures Space Marines are bigger then GZG, Laserburn, Grenadier and Peter Pig miniatures.
By best guess is that they are 19mm.
Lucky for me that I only ordered one pack of them.

BTW- GypsyComet
I thought it was Martian Metals, but another company that also burnt down in 1996. Maity Miniatures, They did four lines of sci-fi infantry in 15mm and three APCs(Track, Grav and Wheeled) Infantry sold $6.25!! for 8 figs and each APC was something line $13.00 each. They did not sell may figs before burning down.
Yes the 15mm Irregular Miniatures Space
Marines fit with my ROCO infantry and Micromachine Starwars troops all are about
18mm. I have a bunch of the old Martian
Metals and some other small 15s by an unknown
(by me anyway) manufacturer that I got a great deal on second hand.

I never heard of Maity Miniatures but at that
time I was an exclusively 25mm collector in fact it's still by far my larger collection.I came
to the realization late in life that 15mm just works better with vehicles..... ;)

I came to the realization late in life that 15mm just works better with vehicles.....
I had a game Monday night using 15mm BTR-80s and BRDM-2s as low-tech armor(TL-6). 15mm has better playability when gaming with "mass" armor, also cheaper (I pay $4-$7 per tank/APC) 1/76 I was playing $14.95-$20.00 per kit.

I do have some of Irregular Miniatures armor and my best guess the scale is 1/109. Which is about the same scale as Quality Castings armor
(I was told 15mm armor and aircraft is scaled at 1/100)
But me and another gamer in my group use QC PT-76 and T-55 as low-tech tanks.

Well, it's really great to meet other 15mm sci-fi gamers for Traveller world. :D

I bought some Irr. WWI figs and some of them dwarf the Peter Pig figs. They do however make very good WWI MG's and excellent obscure artillery pieces. You could always sneak in a battery or two of some weird guns in yer SF games.
file_23.gif
;)

That's good. :cool:

Casey

Originally posted by borna:
Hi All,

I've been on the lookout for some good Traveller-worthy miniatures as well. I've found a good collection at

http://www.historicalminiatures.com/denizen.htm#Packs

The minis are a bit smaller than I'd like (making painting challenging for a fumblefingers like myself), but excellent Traveller material anyway.

Later,

Borna
Denizen's Science Fiction Packs are a great deal for the money! There FEDERATION MID-TECH ASSAULT TEAMS troops are the best stand ins for the Colonial Marries from the "Aliens" film also

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I came to the realization late in life that 15mm just works better with vehicles.....
I had a game Monday night using 15mm BTR-80s and BRDM-2s as low-tech armor(TL-6). 15mm has better playability when gaming with "mass" armor, also cheaper (I pay $4-$7 per tank/APC) 1/76 I was playing $14.95-$20.00 per kit.

I do have some of Irregular Miniatures armor and my best guess the scale is 1/109. Which is about the same scale as Quality Castings armor
(I was told 15mm armor and aircraft is scaled at 1/100)
But me and another gamer in my group use QC PT-76 and T-55 as low-tech tanks.

Well, it's really great to meet other 15mm sci-fi gamers for Traveller world. :D
</font>[/QUOTE]Glad to know you.... :D

Hey check this company out it's a one man operation that does low to high tech armor in 15mm.I know the guy personally and he makes some nice stuff out of resin, and the prices are not half bad. It's called Force XXI Miniatures.

[url="http://www.midiowa.com/colsten/"]http://www.midiowa.com/colsten/

Denizen's Science Fiction Packs are a great deal for the money! There FEDERATION MID-TECH ASSAULT TEAMS troops are the best stand ins for the Colonial Marries from the "Aliens" film also
What scale are the Denizen minis? Their site doesn't say...

Originally posted by Mythmere:
What scale are the Denizen minis? Their site doesn't say... [/QB]
IIRC (from my Ventaurians aka Zhodani no doubt about it) are true 25mm. Equivalent to old BT or star wars figs.

Dark Star (I think it is) does most of these IIRC in 1/300th (microarmour/6mm).

You owe it to yourself (if doing 25mm) to check out
Ground Zero Games (6mm (1/300th) 15mm and 25mm sci-fi figs and vehicles) - Their UNSC Marines are dead ringers for Imperial Marines

DLD Productions (15mm and 25mm resin vehicles of a quality I think incomparable in the industry) (the website can be a bit hard on the eyes.... David is not a web designer...)

And of course, Denizen, who produce the lovely 25mm Zhos (Ventuarians, but only buy the helmeted ones! otherwise you get a yoda head..., but the armour is pretty much right off the cover of the old zhodani alien module) and Dark Star (IIRC) who does the 6mm versions. And the Mid Tech Marines are in fact good Aliens figs. And the Federation troops are good too, though don't correspond to any particular set of figs I'm aware of (but could be anyone in Combat Environment Suits or some sort of armoured light vacc suit).

Originally posted by Loki:
As for the Stargrunt figures are they available here in the states? I think I’ve only seen them listed in the UK-based shops, and I have yet to see what one of them even looks like.

I’ve got to get out more!
:D [/QB]
1. GeoHex used to the the U.S. distributor for GZG, but once they went on line... well... that kinda went away. I posted the URL to this thread in another message. Check out too their new Hammer's Slammers (Yes, licensed from you know who....) line too in true-25mm as well as their UNSC Marines, Mercenaries, hell the whole line. I must have about 1000 figs, so if you need to see one or two that they don't have up, drop me an e-mail off-line at tomb at stargrunt dot ca.

2. Stargrunt.ca - website I co-author dedicated to stargrunt (several Traveller to SG conversions soon to appear)

If you visit our galleries, you'll get to see some of the GZG figs in games (and the main splash page has GZG Gurkhas on it)

Originally posted by far-trader:
Yep that was the original mandate but there were so many calls for character figs that is also in the works. Not sure if that was in the thread here or an e-mail. I think I should have posted the Lone Star version of the announcement, its chunkier :D Oh and in case you were wondering, donations have met the goal so there is nothing more but to wait, patiently

Also Bishop Odo mentions an Australian outfit that will custom cast after sufficient demand. Though I'd prefer a genuine licensed Traveller(tm) product this might be an option.
FWIW, the Gurkhas that GZG now sells as part of its SG2 lines were the result of a Eureka (the guys TJ mentions) Hundred Club figure drive - myself and three or four other guys sort of got things rolling and got enough orders to make it happen. Nic's main sculptor (Mike Broadbent) does a good job on military figs. (for an example, visit the splash page at my website. No this isn't a plug, but if you want to see the kind of work they do, that'll give you an idea.

I myself DIRELY hope that the new ship line, whenever it comes out will RESPECT THE SCALE OF THE OLDER LINE full stop. I've invested a bunch in it (though if anyone wants to sell me a Type A Free Trader, I'll pay a reasonable price.... I desparately need/want one) and want to see the new minis work beside them.

If anyone wants, I can provide measurements/pics of many of the ships for comparison sizing so that the sculptor can 'size accordingly'. Just mail me at tomb at stargrunt dot ca.

Yep that was the original mandate but there were so many calls for character figs that is also in the works. Not sure if that was in the thread here or an e-mail. I think I should have posted the Lone Star version of the announcement, its chunkier :D Oh and in case you were wondering, donations have met the goal so there is nothing more but to wait, patiently

Except of course that project has died :( :mad:

Originally posted by kaladorn:
FWIW, the Gurkhas that GZG now sells as part of its SG2 lines were the result of a Eureka (the guys TJ mentions) Hundred Club figure drive - myself and three or four other guys sort of got things rolling and got enough orders to make it happen. Nic's main sculptor (Mike Broadbent) does a good job on military figs. (for an example, visit the splash page at my website. No this isn't a plug, but if you want to see the kind of work they do, that'll give you an idea.

I myself DIRELY hope that the new ship line, whenever it comes out will RESPECT THE SCALE OF THE OLDER LINE full stop. I've invested a bunch in it (though if anyone wants to sell me a Type A Free Trader, I'll pay a reasonable price.... I desparately need/want one) and want to see the new minis work beside them.

If anyone wants, I can provide measurements/pics of many of the ships for comparison sizing so that the sculptor can 'size accordingly'. Just mail me at tomb at stargrunt dot ca.
Yeah it'd be nice if the scales were compatible but I think the ones being worked on for Travellermini.org were much bigger scale to allow more detail which is nice, and if molded in plastic would be much better (old lead man that I am plastic is looking better all the time). A larger scale (to a point) should be no problem for most PC ships (100T-200T). And of course the old Traveller ship minis were imo only closely to scale with each other anyway.

Yeah it'd be nice if the scales were compatible but I think the ones being worked on for Travellermini.org were much bigger scale to allow more detail which is nice, and if molded in plastic would be much better (old lead man that I am plastic is looking better all the time). A larger scale (to a point) should be no problem for most PC ships (100T-200T). And of course the old Traveller ship minis were imo only closely to scale with each other anyway. [/QB]
Well, you have a point - the Patrol Cruiser is smaller (in internal space) that the type S or at least they are about the same size. The Broadsword certainly is not 8x the internal volume. But as long as they are 'ballpark similar' I can live with it. I can always make them variant or other named designs (or the old designs that couldn't get the internal scale right from suppliment 7:T&G).

I saw the new scout courier .... I already want several!

I think they'd be making them in some kind of plaster or resin. Plastic vacc forming or other styrene working equipment is *wwwaaaaaaaayyyy* expensive (say $100K). Good resin can be done for much less (though a vaccuum chamber is nice). The guys at brigade miniatures and gzg tell me that resin is way easier to work with than lead/pewter/white metal (in some ways). Dunno why all the fuss about lead (once it is painted, who cares? Do you lick the bare figures?). Me, I like a ship mini that doesn't fall over and I utterly *hate* plastic ship bases. Plus they're fragile and snap off. (Besides, dismountable ships using brass tube bases are the real solution for easy transport).

Originally posted by kaladorn:

<snip>

Dunno why all the fuss about lead (once it is painted, who cares? Do you lick the bare figures?).
Nah, that's what the terrarium of toads are for :D

I've just always liked the heft and solid feel of a lead (yeah not real lead for ages, I know) figure. Right now I don't much care what its made of as long as its made to a decent and accurate scale and well cast, molded or whatever. Oh and it shouldn't cost a small fortune to put together a nice collection either.

I've just always liked the heft and solid feel of a lead (yeah not real lead for ages, I know) figure. Right now I don't much care what its made of as long as its made to a decent and accurate scale and well cast, molded or whatever. Oh and it shouldn't cost a small fortune to put together a nice collection either.
Well, sounds like you're talking about.... AIR!

(He notes that many nice figs have gotten pricey,
thus making his basement worth many more dollars
than it once was).

I like lead for another reason: I find with a lot of the white metals, if you get a bent gunbarrel or spear, it breaks off or is impossible to get straight. (It doesn't bend as easy in the first place, trade off mentioned). I prefer a softer white metal where I can still bend something straight without snapping it off.

Plus lead bases for starships help keep them upright.... (argh, my Type A has a sudden list (and yaw) to port when one of the players bumps the table....)

Back