• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Differences from the first edition

Spenser TR

SOC-12
Admin Award
I received my copy of the new edition bright and early this morning, so I thought I'd do a brief walk through by section and do a high-level call out differences from the previous edition.

-

There is a different cover, the new one is at once modern and retro. I really like it.

The new edition starts with maps of “The Galaxy” and “Charted Space,” from The Spinward Marches on the top left to Spica on the bottom right. Con tines with”Worlds of the Imperium” page. In the 1st edition these were in a fold-out in the back.

The description of the “Imperial Calendar” now has a visual.

Next is a page with “Edict 97” and Agent standing orders sections.

Then the story starts; I don’t know if the story text has been changed. There are no footnotes annotated in the text, no footnotes listed at the bottom of the story pages or at the end of chapters.

After the story, the “Ranks” section leads the reference information. This section is now formatted differently. In my 1st edition these tables are formatted much like as in T5.09. IN the new edition this formatting is gone, along with the “extra” information present on the right-hand side of the ranks tables.

The table of “World Remarks” follows and is also formatted differently, more just plain paragraphs.

“General Chronology” is next and is slightly reorganized, but seems to have the same info

The “Identifying Ships” section seems unchanged, except for minor formatting.

In the new edition the next section is “The Imperium” is next; this appears to be slightly expanded from the 1st edition.

Next comes a new section - “Important Terms and Concepts,” a sort of abbreviated Library Data section.

The next section is also new, called “The Archives,” detailing various record-keeping institutions within the Imperium.

The “Sophonts’ section is next, with minor typographic changes. Immediately following is a new, separate section detailing major and minor races with write-ups and diagrams for each: humans, Cassildan, Geonee, Vargr, Zhodani, Aslan, Hivers, K’kree, Droyne, Bwaps, Llellewyloly, Threep, and Virushi.

The “Traveller” section is next, expanded with a few sentences about each edition.

Then follows the “List of Emperors and Empresses,” The “Acknowledgements,” then “About the Author,” all of which seem unchanged.

I haven't started it yet. Probably next week.

I got an email from FFE about "The Star Crystal" by Jeff Billings and jumped into that. I'm a little more than halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. It has a tone and pacing that very much reminds me of AotI.

I picked up a copy.

In the text itself, I haven't done a complete read-thru, so there could be more. Lots of excerpts from the T5 books are in the appendix.

In flipping through, I've found a few pages of story added, the 'missing' two reports from Enna Plant. Report Five is about 4.5 pages long, Report Six is just over four. We get the text of the two reports, but the scene where Bland goes to the vault and discovers those two reports are missing is still included.

[aside - Which begs the question, does someone official read the reports before they go into the vault? Were these two withheld because of the sensitive nature? Or did they simply disappear before delivery? Is sending duplicates of sensitive information a standard practice, so routine it no longer merits mention? Or is that hard-won data simply lost if the carrying ship misjumps, roll these dice for each jump to see what happens? ]

The only other new text I've found is at the very end of the epilogue, it's a short paragraph where Bland is going through his wake-up routine, it ends with the phrase "Who here is senior?" The header information tells us it's "Aboard VF Pacific Orbiting Mend 1338 Kipli C575976-8 Hi In" - but the text stops so abruptly, I was turning the page to see if there was more. There wasn't, but it was very effective way to make the reader say "but then what? Is the sequel out yet?" So, well played, Mr. Miller!

There's also a new "Report Seven Addendum" that's about four pages.

No idea if that would get moved over to message capsule seven in the vault, or if there should have been eight capsules waiting for Bland.

I apologize for bumping this but I just received my Agent of the Imperium from Amazon, and looking at the Third Imperium map, it's straight up really hard to read. I don't like it. It is far too greyscale. Some of the names are more easily read due to being in black ink but a bunch are grey on grey practically. Also those greyed names are so small.
4bJgN72.jpg
I hope a map with better contrast could be possibly provided for the next book.

Last edited:
What exactly are you hoping to get from that map? It's more like a high level map of the US than anything else. What information is lacking here that you're interested in, or find hard to read?

Bolder borders perhaps?

This is more a "shape of the imperium" map to me.

I apologize for bumping this but I just received my Agent of the Imperium from Amazon, and looking at the Third Imperium map, it's straight up really hard to read. I don't like it. It is far too greyscale. Some of the names are more easily read due to being in black ink but a bunch are grey on grey practically. Also those greyed names are so small.
4bJgN72.jpg
I hope a map with better contrast could be possibly provided for the next book.

Can always start at The TravellerMap and get more detail than a book can ever give: https://travellermap.com/?p=-0.433!0.5!3&options=41975

What exactly are you hoping to get from that map? It's more like a high level map of the US than anything else. What information is lacking here that you're interested in, or find hard to read?

Bolder borders perhaps?

This is more a "shape of the imperium" map to me.
Well if you look st the map, you see a bunch of grey-on-grey areas in it that are difficult to make out.

Well if you look st the map, you see a bunch of grey-on-grey areas in it that are difficult to make out.

You mean like the labels? Such as "League of Antares" and the other (noticeably illegible) zones? Is that what you're talking about?

You mean like the labels? Such as "League of Antares" and the other (noticeably illegible) zones? Is that what you're talking about?
Yes. You even see what appear to be little borders of some type inside the Third Imperium's territories.

Note, I certainly see what you're talking about, not trying to apologize for the image.

As was mentioned earlier, travellermap.com is the "go to" "atlas" of the Imperium, but that doesn't excuse the show map.

If you click on this, this is essentially the same map:

https://travellermap.com/api/tile?x=-.57&y=-.4&scale=8&w=1600&h=1620&options=887&style=poster

But unfortunately, the areas aren't labeled below the sector name (like the League of Antares).

You need a higher resolution map, but you run in to limits with travellermap in generating one at that resolution.

Back