• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Misjump Network

A great many of us expect the rules to describe the universe, with NO modifications for being PC's.

If I wanted Pro-PC rules mods, I'd play Space Opera, not Traveller... Where the rules give PC's a 5-15% advantage over the universe...

Greg's post sounds reasonable to me, but I agree with Wil. The rules help keep the game consistent.

So Greg, I'd say instead that the referee may hold the Laws of Traveller in suspension to achieve desired effects... such as making a successful misjump network a long, painful, expensive, red-tapey slog by any interstellar authority.

Of course, such fiats can and should dovetail nicely with the plot elements of a campaign.

Originally posted by Aramis:

If I wanted Pro-PC rules mods, I'd play Space Opera, not Traveller... Where the rules give PC's a 5-15% advantage over the universe...
I think you miss my point. There was a recent post about this sort of thing on the TML, after someone asked yet again about the macroeconomics of the Imperium.

No coherent ruleset exists to describe the entire OTU. You can't roll for every ship and every character (even if you had the time) to get results that look like the Imperium. GDW didn't test the rules that way, and if they did they'd still be refining the first edition today.

These sorts of thought experiments, where you extend the rules to much larger groups and ask, "What if?" can be fun. But I have to remind myself every now and then that I don't expect to see anything reasonable. At some point I have to decide that whenever they're out of focus, all the moving parts in the Imperium move in such away that the OTU exists as described. This is necessarily an inconsistency, but it's not worth worrying about.

No, greg, I didn't miss your point; I refuted it.

The rules describe what any larger set should given the same inputs.

Either build up or build down, but don't assume "special cases for PC's."

Back