• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose American Vehicles in WW2 Correction

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
The half-track shown as the M16 Qusd .50 Carriage, Motor, Multiple Gun is actually either a M15 or M15A1 Carriage, Motor, Multiple Gun which mounted the 37mm automatic gun M1A2 and two .50 Heavy Barrel Machine Guns. Interestingly enough, the .50 machine guns are clearly the water-cooled versions sometimes mounted. The difference in length of the 37mm barrel and the .50 guns is quite marked. The ammo load for the M15 was 240 rounds, 37-mm shell, HE M54 or AP M59; 3,400 rounds, cal. .50. The HE shell was for anti-aircraft use while the AP round was for use against lightly armored vehicles. If anyone wants, I can give them the exact particulars of each round. The velocity of the projectiles as well as weight was less than the 37mm anti-tank and tank gun. The ammo load for the M15A1 was 1,200 rounds, cal. .50; 200 rounds, 37-mm. The standard armament for the crew for the M15A1 was one Rifle, cal. .30, M1903 with Launcher, grenade; one Gun, submachine, cal. .45; five Carbines, cal. .30, Ml. In North Africa, the submachinegun would have been the Thompson, as the M3 Grease Gun was still in development.

For those interested, the M16 would get 3.3 miles per gallon of 80 octane gasoline under average conditions, and had a range of 200 miles, also under average conditions with 60 gallons of fuel. Maximum allowable speed was 45 miles per hour. The loaded weight was 19,800 pounds, while boxed for export it weighed 21,532 pounds. The ammo load for the machine guns was 5,000 rounds, cal. .50, in belts, with a rate of fire for the guns about 450 to 575 rounds per minute per gun. The half-track Quad .50 was also used during the Korean War. where its presence was greatly appreciated by the infantry.

The following is a quote from a study done by S.L.A. Marshall on infantry operation in Korea.

This is particularly true of the quad-50 (M16), which has greater tactical flexibility in ground fighting and a visibly greater demoralizing effect upon the enemy infantry line than the Bofors twin-40. It would be difficult to exaggerate the effectiveness of the quad-50 when used in this role. Based on the Korean record, it can be said that, except for the accurate laying on of an air strike employing napalm and rockets, no other weapon available for the support of infantry will depress enemy firepower more quickly and fully, and in general discourage the enemy from taking any effective action.
Emphasis added.

Would it be acceptable to upload a photo of the correct vehicle to the image gallery, or should I find somewhere else to post it?

All of the above information comes from TM 9-2800 STANDARD MILITARY MOTOR VEHICLES, WAR DEPARTMENT, Washington, 1 Sept. 1943. I have it in both hard copy and digital format.

Last edited:
I play a WWII simgame that is going to intro SPAA vehicles.

I darn well know those things are going to primarily be used for direct fire against infantry and AT guns.

Back