• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Weapons I've proposed

Yeah sure, that's not a bad idea. I was thinking kind of a homage to the Starcraft Terran marines, minus the super heavy bulky and rediculusly cinematic powered armor. Think of the soldier on the cover of the Traveller 2300 cover, holding a weapon at port arms. Something that is heavier and bulkier than your standard LASER weapon or Gauss rifle / (carbine), but delivered a nearly comparable punch.

So, when that Imperial MEU starts landing CA or BD marines with PGMPs or FGMPs and a load of Gauss trooper, you've got something on a ground force level that'll give them pause. Oh sure, you're not toting the big HEWs nor the super lethal G-rifles, but you can hit back with more than just ACRs. That's the idea.

I should rephrase, make it more Traveller.

"Give everyone RAM Grenades on a stick."

In the notorious Improvised Munitions handbook, they have an article on making a shaped charge out of a wine bottle. Woe to anyone invading France!

Combine that with those "sticky bombs" from Saving Private Ryan. Or that scene in James Bond "For Your Eyes Only" (honestly, this is probably my favorite Bond movie) where he slaps a magnetic shaped charge on the back of an armored diving suit helmet. "Do you hear something ticking?"

I see your Battle Dress and raise you a bunch of Bond watching, wine drinking, sticky bomb making motivated Chechens!

Or, "You here to hit Krako? You try to hit Krako, you'll get scrapped from every window in the street."

Imagine some troopers in BD walking down a street and having every window light up with RPGs, sorta like that scene from "Clear and Present Danger".

*hands on hips*

You're not taking me seriously 🤬

Let me tell you the story about Gunther, the happy Panzerfaust wielding Nazi on D-Day during a session of some 28mm WW2 game. Or, as he was simply later known as, "Goo".

Gunther saw Blue Ghost's allied Sherman tanks and a "Priest" (long range mobile artillery vehicle) emerge from the hills blocking the site of the allied invasion. Gunther, or "Goo", hid behind a French farmhouse, Panzerfaust in hand. Gunther was going to surprise mister Blue Ghost's tanks and his Mohawk wearing tankers armed with Thomspon SMGs.

See Gunther sneak our from behind one of the farm houses.
See Gunther take aim at the side of Blue Ghost's leader Sherman.
Watch Bannon roll 2d6 after declaring fire to see if he hits.
See Bannon roll snake eyes, a critical failure.
Watch Bannon roll to see where Gunther's anti-tank rocket round went.
See the physically impossible scatter chart say that it went laterally by 90 degrees, and hit the barn's wall, detonating the round and scattering Gunther to the four winds.

And that's why we call him Goo. 😃(y)

I believe it was the same session where a German 88 howitzer shell exploded off of one of my guy's heads. I expressed to the GM that I had a hard time seeing (much less believing) that a howitzer shell would simply detonate once it made contact with a human being. But, rules are rules, so ... :confused:

Yeah, that was kind of how things went. The GM showed absolutely no sympathy nor leeway. I didn't say anything beyond that. Oh well.

Back on topic, I'm thinking of shaving off a couple of kilos from the weapons' weight.

the primary objective, IIRC, was to get across the map. The secondary objective was to take out two of three 88 AAA emplacements. One of my mohawk dudes was trying to sneak up with a hand grenade to frag the 88 crew, but they heard him. Oh well.

Most of that game, I seem to recall, was mostly recon by fire; shoot first look later kind of thing. Fun times.

If my dudes had EMG or HEL guns, it might've been a different story for that one guy... maybe even for Gooey Goo Gunther.

Maybe in the future. I've posted the basics of what I thought other people might like. I don't want the thread closed, if that's what you're asking.

When in junior high and high school I thought GDW and SJ Games' offerings might make good films or TV shows. But I can't do that now. I thought about writing for them, but I got a lot of "no responses", so I can't do that now. I can't really play any games other than online gaming due to security issues ... but, something may spark some creativity.

I don't have too many more stats to add.

Ok, well I’ve done a fair amount on this sort of thing with Striker, a ton of goodies you’ve probably never seen with the MgT CSC books that can likely readily translate, I suspect FF&S involves some of these, the CT homerules Armory is all about some of your equipment tastes, and of course T5 GunMaker and to an extent the upcoming merc weapon handbook involves unique weapon characteristics definition.

Which reminds me, looks to me like MgT1 bellied up to CT while MgT2 took cues from T5- opinions?

Traveller IP is the kind of thing that would make most proposals autorejection- not massive brand recognition and icky unknown risks.

A like the Expanse or like Firefly pitch is more likely to succeed IMO.

Of course if Traveller ever became hot property, being known as a specialized scriptwriter when it’s ‘in play’ would be advantageous. But that’s going to take something like a Whedon talking it up. I’m sure you are familiar with the conceptual lemming behavior of the subculture.

So, are you interested in extant iterations of your concepts, working them through the Armory system, or my CT Strikerization of them?

If you want to write up your versions and post them here, then you've got my approval. I won't take offense. Right now I'm at a crossroads in my life, and I'd really like to get on and just write stuff in my new digs (I really hope it's not India ☹️(n)).

My opinion is that T5 is just too involved to tantalize my interest. I won't go into specifics because that belongs in the T5 section, but I'm not interested in it nor using it in any capacity.

I never bought Striker, nor Fire Fusion and Steel, and I think I bought the PDF version of Mongoose Traveller, but I'm not really into it. Pretty much all I wanted to do was either write generic adventures that any system could use, orrrrr, just right cheapo $1 adventures for the old CT system, and with that I would introduce things like the weapons I mentioned here.

Right now I'm really burnt out, but, oddly enough, also kind of fired up to do stuff. I sent off another mailing to "the powers that be" so I can get settled with what time I have left, and then maybe crank out some rocking stuff that I think people'll like.

Truth be told I'm a CT guy. I've read through T4, I bought and read through some of TNE when I got my hands on a copy a couple years back, but CT is what I know best, and it's what I like best. That's the system I know, that's the system I like.

So yeah. Go for it. Like I said a few posts back, I think the weights I decided on area little too heavy. I tried to get a sense of battery weight combined with a larger caliber for the EMGs, but I really am lost and also open to suggestions. (y)

Pretty much all I wanted to do was either write generic adventures that any system could use, orrrrr, just right cheapo $1 adventures for the old CT system, and with that I would introduce things like the weapons I mentioned here.
Maybe use the Cepheus Engine system? (If that's not already on your radar...)

Back