• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

My game system list

ShawnDriscoll

SOC-14 1K
I'm going through my old Traveller folder that I started in the '80s. It contains systems that I've used to play Traveller's 3rd Imperium setting in.

Call of Cthulhu
The Morrow Project
SPI's Universe
FTL: 2448
Car Wars?
I had some notes for using Space Opera. But never owned that game it would seem.

Two years ago, I added Serenity to my old folder. I thought I've used another system since then, but it was probably the new Mongoose edition being released at the time.

I'm going through my old Traveller folder that I started in the '80s. It contains systems that I've used to play Traveller's 3rd Imperium setting in.

Call of Cthulhu
The Morrow Project
SPI's Universe
FTL: 2448
Car Wars?
I had some notes for using Space Opera. But never owned that game it would seem.

Systems I've used to run the OTU -
CP2020
Twilight 2000 (pre-TNE, post Survival Margin)
GURPS (pre GT)
Vampire (Conversion notes on my website)
EABA (During the EABA playtest)

Never got off the ground with, but was ready to:
CORPS
Hero (pre TH)
Mekton Zeta (Conversion work done for a friend)

Hmm, systems used to run OTU adventures...
BRP/WoW/Ringworld
Space Opera
Aftermath/Daredevils
Twilight 2000 original
EABA
WW Storyteller system
d20Future
Alternity
D&D 5e
Burning Wheel

I used Cyberpunk for T2300

Amusingly enough, I've used Traveller for different settings, but never even considered using other systems to run OTU.

A friend of mine loves the Traveller universe, but isn't too fond of the official Traveller rule sets. He has used variants of BRP mostly, but we also considered various other systems including Fuzion.

@aramis: do you have any notes on your Traveller game using CP2020? I'd love to have a look at those. Just a few days ago I was thinking about using CP2020 for a short campaign inspired by The Expanse. Sure, the Expanse is not the OTU, but your experiences might help point me in the right direction nevertheless.

@aramis: do you have any notes on your Traveller game using CP2020? I'd love to have a look at those. Just a few days ago I was thinking about using CP2020 for a short campaign inspired by The Expanse. Sure, the Expanse is not the OTU, but your experiences might help point me in the right direction nevertheless.

I'd love to see the CP2020 and the Mekton Zeta notes, myself.

I really like the OTU and Traveller, always have. Unfortunately, my gaming group as a whole HATED the Classic Traveller ruleset. Why the hate? Character Advancment, pure and simple.
We were all still in grammer school, in pre-Internet days. I was the only one with a wargames/simulationist background because of my dad's hobby store. Sure, they like science fiction, but not Traveller as a set of rules. Their connection to RPGs were AD&D, Gamma World, Space Opera and Top Secret. Except for AD&D, I was the one who got them in RPG's. Once I understood how CT worked in high school, it was too late. They were all power hungry xp munchkins. Remember, as a whole we had NO OTHER EXAMPLES or advisors to play.

So how to suck them in? Conversion of the OTU to rule systems that they liked and familiar with. This also addressed silly things like not giving up their beloved yada yada character from whatever game. And the questions of vital importance to young people like:
"Who would win in a fight, Han Solo or Captain Kirk".
"If I was in Greyhawk, what would my stats be?"
I originally got the idea from the AD&D DMG which had conversions from Boot Hill and Gamma World to AD&D. Then, once they liked the universe, I could lead them back to CT. If not, at least I was doing games in the OTU. So my my first conversion was Traveller to Gamma World. Experience points and level advancement. Just what my players wanted. Carnivorous anthropomorphic mutant bunnies with laser rifles and PGMPs were awesome. Then I did one for Top Secret. By then, I got them on board for CT. But the bug got to me and I have done conversions back and forth between rule systems and campaign universes.

So I have done back and forth conversions of the CT/OTU over the years with:
Gamma World
Top Secret - Yea, that one sort of sucked
Spacemaster - Because they all wanted psionics.
Doctor The Roleplaying Game (FASA) - DW had TL and World Profiles! No level advancement! A natural!
Fringeworthy
Marvel Superheroes - Yes, I went there.
Alternity
Champions/4th ed. Hero System - I am particularly proud now of that one as I did it in the late '80s/early '90 long before Hero Games did their Hero Traveller. Hero System became my Rosetta Stone between rule systems for a long time. It established my general system for conversions (self-taught). Once you have data points established between systems, conversions are easy.

Recently I have worked on others.
BRP/Legend/d100
Cortex System (Serenity/Firefly)
Cypher System (Numenara, The Strange)

Currently working with Cubicle 7's Vortex System (Doctor Who, Rocket Age, Primeval, Pulp Fantastic). Each one has the pieces to make a universal system, but not a whole within just one of the games. But combined together the four games lends themselves easily to conversion of the OTU. Tech Levels and World Generation are in Doctor Who.

I'd love to see the CP2020 and the Mekton Zeta notes, myself.

I added a lot of the cyber and bioware options to T5 when I ran our last campaign. The players didn't go overboard, and with some minor mods it seemed to work well.

For combat, I use the Skirmish Wargaming system from Don Featherstone's book of the same name. However, I do not allow personal energy weapons in the game, which clearly makes a difference.

Currently working with Cubicle 7's Vortex System (Doctor Who, Rocket Age, Primeval, Pulp Fantastic). Each one has the pieces to make a universal system, but not a whole within just one of the games. But combined together the four games lends themselves easily to conversion of the OTU. Tech Levels and World Generation are in Doctor Who.

Awesome! Vortex is not that far from Classic Traveller, actually. I love that system.

I forgot one... I used T2300 to run the OTU for a while. CT ships, T2300 characters... worked ... moderately well.

Can't believe you guys used Friday Night Firefight for combat.

Traveller isn't bloody enough for you? :)

FNFF from 2013 was not all that deadly... if you were armored.
Squishies, tho'... Pop-pop-drop...

FNFF from 2020 is even less so overall.

My Traveller and CP2013 players NEVER went unarmored.

Can't believe you guys used Friday Night Firefight for combat.

Traveller isn't bloody enough for you? :)

What is Friday Night Fire Fight?

I try hard to discourage players from getting into firefights. One bad die roll, and they are dead, although generally, when rolling for the opposition, I am notorious for bad die rolling.

Systems I've used to run the OTU -
CP2020
Twilight 2000 (pre-TNE, post Survival Margin)
GURPS (pre GT)
Vampire (Conversion notes on my website)
EABA (During the EABA playtest)

Never got off the ground with, but was ready to:
CORPS
Hero (pre TH)
Mekton Zeta (Conversion work done for a friend)

I remember a group I was in that was doing something with Twilight 2000 and Traveller 2300. I didn't keep notes from it. But I recall that chargen from T2000 was transfered to T2300. Probably a vortex was used.

What is Friday Night Fire Fight?

I try hard to discourage players from getting into firefights. One bad die roll, and they are dead, although generally, when rolling for the opposition, I am notorious for bad die rolling.

It was the combat rules (a stand alone booklet) from Cyberpunk 2013. It was also sold separately as a minis game (character scale, 1:1::Figure:troop, no fixed ground:table scale) ruleset via mail order. (How do I know? Because a buddy ordered me a copy from RTG...)

The chapter for combat in Cyberpunk 2020 was also entitled Friday Night Fire Fight. Some people had a possibly legit (from R. Talsorian) version of it as a minis game, but it was never released as such to my knowledge.

Overall, it's deadly to unarmored, but reasonably survivable in full ballistic bodysuits.

Link to the RPGG page: https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/122875/friday-night-firefight

Back