• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

My take on the PGMP...

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Hi Everybody!

Yes, I'm bored. Off work with an injury and I had nothing better to do than to go through all of my Traveller books to find references to the Plasma Gun. Well, I would probably do it if I was working, too! Anyways, I've updated some of the ideas and made it a more surroundings-friendly type of weapon. Stats are for T20. I'd say I'd put this between TL 15 and TL 16. I hope you like it.

Scout

PLASMA CANNON - MAN PORTABLE

The Imperial designated weapon fS1055 is a fearsome weapon. Common military slang uses the Second Imperium abbreviation style - PCMP (or sometimes PGMP, MPPC, or more informally BFG). Increases in power storage technology combined with known advances in material science and increased efficiency contragrav allows a self-contained weapon with its own recoil compensation, motion stabilizers and side-blast reduction, allowing use by unaugmented troops. High-energy weapons, such as these, fire beams of super-heated plasma at their targets and cause damage by their intense heat and kinetic energy. Exact details are unavailable from the manufacturer for security reasons, but unclassified records and photographs of the units allow reasonable estimates of the technology involved.

In the case of the fS1055 weapon unit, hydrogen is stored in a cartridge that can hold 1 kilogram (1000 grams) of hydrogen. The cartridge is loaded into the weapon in a detachable cylindrical magazine. These cartridges are easily replaceable in the field, taking only 1 round to do so. Each Plasma Gunner in a platoon would usually carry one extra cartridge, allowing a firing of 2000 rounds on the lowest setting.

The hydrogen is fed into an ignition chamber (at a maximum rate of 10 grams per round), which has a metastable magnetic containment field. The fusion power pack powers an eximer laser igniter, through a high-density superconducting cable, to heat the hydrogen to a point where it reaches an excited super-hot state of matter known as Plasma. Current technologies allow for an energy density sufficient to realize near-fusion temperatures.

When it reaches maximum energy, the plasma then moves through the plasma shunt to a flux aperture. When the aperture opens, the plasma is then released through a magnetically focused field along the weapon's barrel, which is maintained at near vacuum by electrostatic fields, so the magnetic field can accelerate the plasma to incredible speeds (in excess of 8600 meters per second). The high initial velocity plasma bolt is approximately 1cm in diameter per gram of hydrogen used, but it begins to dissipate immediately.

Part of the energy of the explosively expanding plasma is bled off to pump a homopolar generator which in turn powers a "pilot" laser. The pilot laser vaporizes a tunnel through the atmosphere through which the plasma bolt is discharged. (without the pilot laser the plasma bolt dissipates far too quickly.)

When the Plasma Bolt strikes an object, after a lightning-like flash along the projectile's path, and a large thunderclap a fraction of a second later, the velocity-based kinetic energy of the few grams of plasma combines with its extremely high temperature to blast a hole in the target, and incidentally spray white-hot plasma and fragments of the target in all directions.

Plasma splatter has a primary burst radius of five meters. All characters within the primary and secondary burst radii are subject to hits by fragments of plasma, including the target. Plasma fragments are the equivalent of white phosphorus fragments for damage purposes.

Due to the heaviness of the weapon and the energies involved, a compensator package is used. A gravity field generator is included to allow the weapon to move weightless, a gyroscopic inertial compensator to negate recoil, and an energy dampener around the muzzle to reduce the possibility of flash-burns. The weapon's computer system automatically biases the field to provide near total recoil compensation.

The power pack has sufficient energy to allow 10 days of continuous use before recharging is necessary. A quick-shot capacitor holds the energy to heat up to 10 grams of hydrogen, allowing the fusion pack to be turned off when the weapon is stored. The fusion pack is automatically started when the gun is fired, and takes one round to "warm up". Recharging the power pack takes approximately 2 hours from a starship or similar power reactor.

The PCMP has six firing settings (only one can be used per round - it takes one round to change to a new setting) which can be used in a multitude of environments. On Setting A, a single Plasma Bolt is fired using only one gram of hydrogen (Damage 1d10+10). Firing Setting B allows a burst of 10 Plasma Bolts and uses one gram of hydrogen per Bolt (Damage 1d10+10 per Bolt). Setting C fires a burst of 3 Plasma Bolts and uses 3 grams of hydrogen per Bolt (Damage 3d10+30 per Bolt). Setting D sends 2 Plasma Bolts flying and uses 5 grams of hydrogen for each Bolt (Damage 5d10+50 per Bolt). Setting E fires one Plasma Bolt using 10 grams of hydrogen (Damage 10d10+100). The final Setting X is a weapon of last resort. It is a timed detonation of the weapon. On a 60 second duration, the weapon expends all remaining fuel and overloads the fusion power pack. It produces grenade damage of 10d10 (x10) points in a 50-meter blast radius. This setting cannot be used if less than 50 grams of fuel are left.

The fS1055 has a computer link data socket which can be used to augment the targeting of the weapon. When used in conjunction with Battle Dress, the computer link engages the combat armor's helmet-mounted holographic heads-up display and projects crosshairs on the faceplate for targeting, which activates the armor's computer-assisted threat analysis program that highlights targets by their appraised level of lethality. (+2 to hit)

The weapon may be fired every combat round. It can also be mounted on a tripod for better efficiency. (+1 to hit)

Heeey! Someone beat me to this! Hey!

Anyway, (1.) as far as I'm concerned, the PGMP and FGMP excel at their primary mission, which is to make a huge BOOM. (2.) I'm having some of these in my next adventure, so how would I run them? Yes, my players will have them, and BOY-howdy, are they gonna need 'em!
file_23.gif
(Now if I could just write the stupid adventure... I will, repeat WILL, do it tonight!)

As far as I can tell, the way that the PCMP and FGMP are written in the books are almost treated as a vehicle cannon. Splatter is treated like a grenade. This is an amazingly powerful weapon. And probably not best in the hands of all of your PC's. The player in my game that's going to be using this is ex-military, so I can explain it to him pretty easily (i.e. if you use this in a building, the building is coming down around your head regardless if you hit your target, etc...). I need to figure out rules for blowthrough - once the Plasma Bolt hits and makes a big hole in the target, how much of it dissipates and how much of it continues on to whatever is behind the target. Because at maximum damage, just using the damage in the T20 book, it's 180 points of damage. That's the reason I modified it. I can't find the reference to White Phosphorus in any of the books, so I'm going to have to fudge the damage from Plasma Splatter. After reading through what I wrote, I found that I still have a little bit of work left to do.

I can send it to you in .pdf format if you want when I'm done. I scanned in a few pics from T4's Emperor's Arsenal.

Later,

Scout

Ok, here's my fudge of the Plasma Splatter. Just replace the Plasma splatter paragraph with these two.

Plasma splatter has a primary burst radius of .5 meters per gram of hydrogen expended. All characters within the primary and secondary burst radii are subject to hits by fragments of plasma, including the target. Plasma fragments are the equivalent of white phosphorus fragments for damage purposes (1d4 for every gram of hydrogen).

If the intended target doesn't expend more than half of the energy from the Plasma Bolt through damage when hit (i.e. a Plasma Bolt inflicts 108 points this round, but the target has less than 54 points total), the target experiences blow-through. The Plasma Bolt creates a hole in the target and continues on to strike objects or people behind the original target at half damage. If the target does expend more than half of the Plasma Bolt's energy, and the target is reduced to 0 points, the target is vaporized and there is no blow-through.

Just to give my nods, ideas contained in the document have been taken, combined, or modified from MegaTraveller: Player's Manual, Traveller: TNE, and T4: Emperor's Arsenal.

Later,

Scout

Oops! I've been looking at the T20 Damage for the Fusion gun and not the Plasma Gun. Quick fix:

On Setting A, a single Plasma Bolt is fired using only one gram of hydrogen (Damage 1d10+5).

Firing Setting B allows a burst of 10 Plasma Bolts and uses one gram of hydrogen per Bolt (Damage 1d10+5 per Bolt).

Setting C fires a burst of 3 Plasma Bolts and uses 3 grams of hydrogen per Bolt (Damage 3d10+15 per Bolt).

Setting D sends 2 Plasma Bolts flying and uses 5 grams of hydrogen for each Bolt (Damage 5d10+25 per Bolt).

Setting E fires one Plasma Bolt using 10 grams of hydrogen (Damage 10d10+50).

The final Setting X is a weapon of last resort. It is a timed detonation of the weapon. On a 60 second duration, the weapon expends all remaining fuel and overloads the fusion power pack. It produces grenade damage of 10d10 (x50) points in a 50-meter blast radius. This setting cannot be used if less than 100 grams of fuel are left.

That makes things a little better, but now I just realized that Fusion Guns replace PCMPs at TL 15. Ok, back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll just make it a Fusion Gun instead of changing the Damage.

Later,

Scout

Plasma weapons and Fusion weapons are useful if your enemy is heavily armored. Their is a tricky balance that needs to be achieved. If the PCs are all wearing battle dress, then the GM needs to equip opponents with plasma guns in order to have a chance to inflict damage. The trick is what you do about PCs who aren't military types and who don't have feats that allow them to use heavy armor.

Scout, I'd love to have your thoughts, but keep in mind that I'm using CT/T4 rules. Also, the opponents will be using tl18, versus my characters' tl15, and the opponents are military, so...
file_23.gif
Anyway, send me an email or a private message.

Uh, instead of all these crazy settings to remember, how about this:

The gun has two triggers, one is a safety and the other is a charge-up. The user, by squeezing and releasing rapidly, will fire off small bolts at a high rate of fire. By squeezing for a longer time and then releasing, the charge on the bolt grows, but the rate of fire decreases. The safety trigger must be either: squeezed and released quickly, or squeezed and released at the same time as the trigger, to fire off an accumulated charge.

Think of this as the Rocket Launcher in Unreal Tournament. By clicking the fire button, you launch one rocket immediately. By holding down the fire button, you load more rockets, one by one, until the launcher is full, and then fire them all off at once, for a huge kaboom. We will be more intelligent than the game and say that once the gun reaches maximum charge, the shot does NOT automatically release, and blow you up if you're standing too close to the wall; that's what the safety trigger is to prevent.

The charge up trigger and the safety trigger are in the grip such that you can easily squeeze either or both of them at the same time. If you squeeze them both and release them both, you fire a shot, regardless of how long you held them. if you squeeze the charge, then you will fire the weapon once you've tapped the safety.

There's more details, of course, covering all the contingencies. But the two-trigger system is capable of handling them all, including safe-discharge of a charge (not shooting the energy), holding fire, dead-man triggering, and anything else. I'll leave it to you to devise the specifics, but it only takes the two triggers to cover them all. They certainly are not needed in the basic weapon description.

But then don't you have to ask the player EVERY TIME they shoot in combat exactly what they are doing? Or am I reading what you said wrong? Realistically - the joystick knows that you are pushing the button or holding it down - the referee has to ask, right? I like the idea - just for the dead-man's-switch alone - if not for the other reasons, too. But to me I think it might bog down play instead of to require the character to tell the Referee if they change settings. And if they don't say it, they haven't changed settings - since I made it take one round to change. I'm thinking about allowing that one round to be mitigated if you have the Quick Draw feat. Or is that something that might be covered under the Rapid Reload feat? I know there's some feat that could be used to reduce it to a move action. But I don't think it should be able to be reduced to a free action.

But I do need to put some kind of safety on the weapon. Also, I left out ranges and I'm not quite sure how to run that in a T20 game. I can figure it out for arrows in D&D but that's just because we have so many archers in our game. Any help on how to handle range on a weapon like this in T20 and how the Feats of Far Shot and others might apply - or do they even apply to a high-energy weapon?

Later,

Scout

Ack, too much!

PGMPs/FGMPs are powerful enough without making them rapid-pulse weapons, IMO.

IMTU the man-portable weapons don't have a fast enough recharge time to power multiple shots per round. If the players want to go rapid-pulse energy weapons, it's time to get a fixed/vehicle mount.

Back