• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

No book prep work

Hey I've never played Traveller before, but I ordered the book through the kickstarter. I'm not planning on using any of the older material that isn't in the new book (cause I don't have any of it, and I'm not interested in converting anything), so my question is how much can I do to get ready right now?

Are all the generation systems filled in enough that I might as well just wait for the book? How much fluff is in the book as far as set alien races?

Hey I've never played Traveller before, but I ordered the book through the kickstarter. I'm not planning on using any of the older material that isn't in the new book (cause I don't have any of it, and I'm not interested in converting anything), so my question is how much can I do to get ready right now?

Are all the generation systems filled in enough that I might as well just wait for the book? How much fluff is in the book as far as set alien races?

I would at least look at the older stuff. You can get them on CD ROM from Far Future Enterprises (http://www.farfuture.net). I'm not that fond of most of the Traveller adventures as written, because they tend to force the characters into it. However, some of them are great reading.

I'd at least get the Classic Traveller disks.

One should be able to convert things on the run. You might have to prepare some weapons in advance if the premade bunch of weapons isn't done a bit better, but using the "GunMaker" isn't difficult once you're read through everything. Though I'd rather use G3 (Guns Guns Guns available through http://www.drivethrurpg.com).

Well, I can't do much location prep, but I can still do story work for now. The first job the crew will be on, who their boss is (I plan on them running a ship but not owning it) and the first few horrible things to go wrong for the crew.

Well, I can't do much location prep, but I can still do story work for now. The first job the crew will be on, who their boss is (I plan on them running a ship but not owning it) and the first few horrible things to go wrong for the crew.

As far as I know from the hints that Marc put out during Kickstarter, the prepared background (the Third Imperium) will be the same. So previous
adventures will still work.

If you don't want to use the 3I, then it doesn't matter as much.

I doubt that the initial book will come with much in the way of prepared background material. The assumption will probably be that people already know this stuff.

You can get most of the stuff published in Classic Traveller on three sets of disks from FFE. And this includes much of the third party stuff.

MgT stuff is also useful for reading, and I usually get that at DriveThruRPG.com as ebooks; it's less expensive than the dead tree versions.

Plus DTRPG also has a lot of other stuff that isn't really Traveller, but has a lot of plot ideas.

Since MTU isn't about the 3I, I use everything for ideas and pick and choose what I like if I feel it fits into my campaign.

And really, all of the Traveller rolls are easily convertible between versions. You can even use the ship plans if you don't mind a few minor differences now and then between versions.

Have fun!

I'm not planning on using any of the older material that isn't in the new book (cause I don't have any of it, and I'm not interested in converting anything), so my question is how much can I do to get ready right now?

Are all the generation systems filled in enough that I might as well just wait for the book?

How much fluff is in the book as far as set alien races?

1. You can plan the story, sketch out personalities and motivations of the main NPCs. You can prepare your background, write a short history of your setting. Make up the names and overall strengths of merchant corporations, empires, roguish free trader captains, corsair bands.

How big is the core of "civilized" worlds? Or is it a big mixed bag of worlds (like the Dumarest novels)? Or is it a bagful of little pocket empires, a few systems each?

Sketch out star systems and main worlds if you want to, cities, starports, bases, and think up alien races. Is there a big construct out there, a ringworld, or a rosette system?

Traveller is adaptable to rolling-your-own setting, though before you start working out space travel, I recommend first understanding how Traveller does it. Then do what you like.

2. The tools are all there.

3. There is considerable fluff for creating alien races, but there's no pre-made aliens in the book, ready for you to use. However, there is considerable interest in porting aliens and starships into T5, so *I* expect to see a free PDF with that sort of thing. At any rate, the aliens from previous editions are usable, and aliens from any setting can be statted out using T5, so figure out what you want, and then port them in later.

Last edited:
I also recommend the Traveller novels as a way to get accustomed to the "feel" of an adventure. Martin J. Dougherty has written several excellent novels set in the Traveller background. The trilogy of the Traveller: the New Era novels are also available on DTRPG for a very good price. They are "The Death of Wisdom," "To Dream of Chaos." "The Backwards Mask" and the alternate ending story, "The Errand."

Peirce Askegrin's (T4 novel) "Gateway to the Stars" is a little harder to find but you might like it, too. These novels are fun to read and will show you a few of the mosic basic and enjoyable situations that may come up in a game situation. I think that the Mongoose publications are excellent and the rule system is compatible with Traveller5 so you won't hurt yourself to check them out.

If you have any questions about these novels, please just ask. I think that licensed game novels are the greatest resource a beginning game master can have (and that goes for the Magic novels and the Dragon Lance books by Weiss and Hickman). I know less about Martin J Dougherty's novels, but the ones I have are brilliant and full of great information about Traveller and, more especially, the time of the Traveller: 1248 setting (it was kind of a reboot of the Traveller: The New Era setting but set in a more established and hopeful time)

MgT has a great number of campaign setting books (most recently, 2300AD and 2300AD: the French Arm Adventures). I really love their Third Imperium setting and their new alien modules. These books are pricey but really helpful. Best of luck! :)

Last edited:

If you are going to be using the Traveller universe for your games, then you will need to read the online WIKIs for Traveller for alien descriptions. And you will need to visit the www.travellermap.com site to get familiar with the map of the Traveller universe. Don't bother with the older print versions of the game unless you are a completist.

If you are going to be using the Traveller universe for your games, then you will need to read the online WIKIs for Traveller for alien descriptions. And you will need to visit the www.travellermap.com site to get familiar with the map of the Traveller universe. Don't bother with the older print versions of the game unless you are a completist.

Something that I have also found helpful is the Mongoose Traveller System Reference Document at

http://www.travellersrd.com/content/official/mongoose_traveller_srd/mongoose_traveller_srd_index.html

Although these are Mongoose rules, it is a nice, compact overview of most of the rules for one variety of Traveller. The SRD is also helpful as a tutorial that may help you to get a general feel for the rules

The Mongoose SRD is useless without the Core Rulebook.

Not completely useless. The SRD is just open game content which is essentially the nuts and bolts of the Traveller game mechanic. Everyone needs to be familiar with it at some point.
I find that the SRD is helpful for a very general idea of the principles of world building, character generation, combat and alien encounters. In addition there is a very helpful section that explains the meaning of each digit in the Universal planetary Profile. Note there is no information about specific sophont races and their characteristics. To me, these things are helpful but I am not suggesting that they are a complete resource. It's just a place to look for ideas. Without a core book, what can one use?

Not completely useless. The SRD is just open game content which is essentially the nuts and bolts of the Traveller game mechanic. Everyone needs to be familiar with it at some point.
I find that the SRD is helpful for a very general idea of the principles of world building, character generation, combat and alien encounters. In addition there is a very helpful section that explains the meaning of each digit in the Universal planetary Profile. Note there is no information about specific sophont races and their characteristics. To me, these things are helpful but I am not suggesting that they are a complete resource. It's just a place to look for ideas. Without a core book, what can one use?

The most useful piece of Traveller information are the Characteristic Modifiers. Does the SRD state what their values are? Does the SRD show a chart? They are a huge part of the mechanics. Without them, the rest is all just fluff.

Once again, the SRD only contains general, freely-usable open game rules. I thought it is a good suggestion because it is free, is on a nicely organized website and it should be moderately interesting for anyone with an interest in Traveller or the Open game license.

You are completely right. Charts, illustrations and specific game info (like the handy charts and the explanations pf alien races and ) are the property of Mongoose (product identity). But that's a $40 book and if someone has already ordered (or planned to order) the Traveller5 big black book or CD, these are things to think about in terms of a budget. I know that I have to sit down and figure out the prices of things before I go out and buy something big (like a game book or campaign book). That is why I recommended the SRD.

I know that Traveller can be expensive at first especially if someone wants to put together a definitive collection. In my opinion, the classic reprints are valuable as are any of the other licensed versions (T20/ SciFi20, GURPS, GDW, Imperium Games and so on). The Traveller map might be a little more meaningful to someone who is familiar with the different regions, culture areas and Empires. I guess that the best thing I could recommend would be the Traveller wikia at:

http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Traveller_Wiki

That is yet another free resource and might even help with some campaign background. :)

Obviously, coming here (to CoTI) is a great first step.

I'd like to here from people then that have been playing Mongoose Traveller just from what's on the SRD site. Anyone?

While not playing recently, it's the core rules, minus the careers, and having no weapon damages and personal Armor AV's listed.

It is a lot more reduced than the previous SRD in a word doc. Lots of little explanatory bits have been deleted. It's a hack job. Get the dev pack one.

Welcome - nice to see a new player coming on board.

The fact is the main strength of Traveller is that you 'need' nothing else other than the core rules. From those you can create your own universe and everything in it. All the rest is setting stuff - aliens, the Imperium, historical characters, even the ships - they arent needed for a great Traveller game. Most of my games have had nothing to do with the 3rd Imperium - its been a very faint backdrop in some and thats all.

So yes you can work out the rough plan of your campaign/adventure but you cant do much more until you get the book unless you expect it to be heavily setting orientated - in which case read up on the 3rd Imperium whilst you wait.

I wouldnt advise getting into Mongoose Traveller or any others if you are going down the T5 route - dont mix and match it gets very complicated. Just stick with one version and you will have a much better time playing the game rather than trying to sort out inconsistenecies between the versions, is my advice for what it is worth.

The only exception to this not mixing and matching would be the various adventures - get some of those they are still great after all these years. Things like CTs Double Adventures, CTs 76 Patrons, Mongooses 760 Patrons (2nd Ed) and Mongooses Spinward Encounters are great relatively version independant supplements that can give you great ideas.

Enjoy Traveller! Its given me many pleasant times over the last 30-odd years and I hope it also is the same for you.

My last peice of advice after all the above has been said is - dont pay too much attention to these forums! Play the game the way you want to. Everyone has their own idea on here about what version they like and how they like to play. Dont pay it too much heed and enjoy your time with Traveller itself.

Welcome - nice to see a new player coming on board.

The fact is the main strength of Traveller is that you 'need' nothing else other than the core rules.

I wouldnt advise getting into Mongoose Traveller or any others if you are going down the T5 route -

My last peice of advice after all the above has been said is - dont pay too much attention to these forums! Play the game the way you want to. Everyone has their own idea on here about what version they like and how they like to play. Dont pay it too much heed and enjoy your time with Traveller itself.

This is great advice.

I would add that "Mongoose traveller," while much different than T5 does share many of the same principles and rules for starship design, character generation, trade rules and etc. Personally, I do find the Mongoose books much harder to understand than the Traveller5 big book.

One MgT book I would recommend, if one is interested in the OTU/3rd Imperium setting, is LBB9: Library Data. It is completely rules independent, so you can use it with any version of Traveller, and it has some lovely illustrations. $20US.

One MgT book I would recommend, if one is interested in the OTU/3rd Imperium setting, is LBB9: Library Data. It is completely rules independent, so you can use it with any version of Traveller, and it has some lovely illustrations. $20US.

I would also recommend that if it wasnt for the tiny text that you cannot read unless you have very good light or a magnifying glass. I have started reading through it several times and given up in frustration. Its actually one of the only Mongoose books I really wish they had brought out full size rather than LBB size and it's the only one they didn't (typically). I love reading the library data books incl the CT ones so I am sure I would enjoy this one as well if I could actually read it.

Back