• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Non-combat tasks during MT combat

Is there an agreed procedure (probably houseruled since I can't seem to find anything in the official material) for carrying out non-combat tasks (skill checks etc.) during MegaTraveller combat?

Since a single round is six seconds long it allows to estimate the time limitations for tasks but has anyone figured out generally applicable rules for this?

Additionally, this looks like something that might reasonably be backported from MgT1 actions rules, would that make sense? TIA.

My method is that any action is rolled at start; if it takes more than 6 seconds, it happens start of round after (time/(6sec)) rounds. Round normal.

My method is that any action is rolled at start; if it takes more than 6 seconds, it happens start of round after (time/(6sec)) rounds. Round normal.
That seems pretty interesting way to do it, I will experiment around with it. Meanwhile, I got reminded that Snapshot was a thing and it used an action point pool that IMO fits pretty well with the general "feel" of MT combat rules.

Also, do I interpret it correctly that, in your rule, until the > 6s action starts the character cannot take other actions or can only with a penalty (since he's busy doing whatever the action is about)?

Also, do I interpret it correctly that, in your rule, until the > 6s action starts the character cannot take other actions or can only with a penalty (since he's busy doing whatever the action is about)?
I find that self-evident... (that's a yes). If he abandons it for any reason, restart.

Just thought to check, I have seen some house rules with rather unintuitive assumptions. 😀

Thanks! I'll be sure to playtest this.

I would do just the opposite, rolling it at the final round (after rolling for the duration), as it's usually then when you know the results. Otherwise they will abort any task they know will be unsuccessful anyway...

e.g. A character is trying to unlock a door while his friends fight, so that they can retreat. The referee rolls that it will take 5 rounds. until the end of the 5th round, they will not know if he has been successful (and they retreat through this door) or not.

e.g. A character is trying to unlock a door while his friends fight, so that they can retreat. The referee rolls that it will take 5 rounds. until the end of the 5th round, they will not know if he has been successful (and they retreat through this door) or not.
HAL.
HAL?
Open the bathroom door please, HAL ...

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Open the bathroom door please, HAL!! :oops:

I would do just the opposite, rolling it at the final round (after rolling for the duration), as it's usually then when you know the results. Otherwise they will abort any task they know will be unsuccessful anyway...

One can roll time first, and success at conclusion.
My MT players typically didn't try such shenanigans more than once, tho'...

One can roll time first, and success at conclusion.
Then I missunderstood you. I assumed when you said "any action is rolled at start) you were talking about resolucion roll

Then I missunderstood you. I assumed when you said "any action is rolled at start) you were talking about resolucion roll
I usually don't bother splitting, because when I've run MT, it's only been an issue with one player.
If one has jerk players who need to be prevented from "I falied, I'll quit now," asinine behavior, then rolling time only at start and success only at completion can solve that. I've only had one player for whom I needed to do that. And he was dying of brain cancer. (Now dead.)

Back