• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Oldest extant LBBs?

Ullarsskald1957

SOC-12
Baron
I did do a forum search, but could not find a thread.

Have been writing a pamphlet on Classic Traveller character generation to put out at the local game shop to drum up local interest. The counter guy I talked to before COVID hit said he was unfamiliar with Traveller, but was intrigued by the "My Character Died During Creation" feature our game has.

I'm doing it using Book 1 and Supplement 4, aided by batintheattic's and devilghost's online CT character generators.

My 1, 2, 3 LBBs are 1977 edition - 10th printing. I also have a 1977 ed. - 1st printing Book 3. Book 4 is 1978 ed. - 4th, 5 is 1980 ed. - 4th & 7th, 6 is 1983 ed. - 3rd, 7 is 1985 ed. - 2nd and 8 is 1986 ed. - 1st.

Supplement 4 is the 1979 edition - 2nd printing.

Bat's: http://www.batintheattic.com/traveller/
Devil's: https://devilghost.com/software/travellercharacter/

If you're looking for earlier extant copies, my LBBs are 1st printing. I got them within days of the game's original release. Not through any sterling qualities of my own, but through the owner of Centurion Militaria in Walnut Creek, CA looking out for me. :) He knew I was a sucker for space games.

If you have the first printing of LBB:2 can you do me a favour?

How does it describe laser weapons - beam and pulse or does it mention them by 'weight class'?

The earliest printing I have is third,,

Laser Weapons from Second edition

This is from second edition

The four commonly available weapons types are pulse lasers, beam lasers, missile launchers, and sandcasters.,

Pulse Lasers fire short bursts of energy at targets and are more effective at inflicting damage than are beam lasers.

Beam Lasers fire continuous beams of energy at targets and are more effective in achieving hits than are pulse lasers.

If you have the first printing of LBB:2 can you do me a favour?

How does it describe laser weapons - beam and pulse or does it mention them by 'weight class'?

The earliest printing I have is third,,

Looking for the origin of the Heavy Lasers mentioned in later publications, I see.

Yup, the term heavy laser pops up a few times, but I have yet to see an early enough print run of the game to confirm or deny this term was ever used in the actual rules as written.

Looking for the origin of the Heavy Lasers mentioned in later publications, I see.

Not to be confused with the "laser cannons" mentioned in 1979's Double Adventure 1A: Annic Nova? (Which is actually Double Adventure 1, Part 2, according to its copyright page.)

There are no specs per se beyond a note that a "laser cannon" functions as a "laser +1" in combat due to its more-effective fire control. This fire control also apparently takes up additional room in the single turret to the point that any Gunner manning that turret needs to be on the diminutive side (Strength 6-) in order to squeeze into place.

(Cf. The tour of duty by movie star Sabu Dastagir as a B-24 ball turret gunner in WWII; because of his small and lithe physical stature, he was the only member of his squadron who could fit into the claustrophobia-inducing belly weapon mount while wearing a parachute. He remarked later that he particularly enjoyed the view.)

I presume "laser +1" is an advantageous To Hit DM for the user.

Yup, the term heavy laser pops up a few times, but I have yet to see an early enough print run of the game to confirm or deny this term was ever used in the actual rules as written.

Yea, dug through that question a few years ago, but I didn't think to look at the printings

Not to be confused with the "laser cannons" mentioned in 1979's Double Adventure 1A: Annic Nova? (Which is actually Double Adventure 1, Part 2, according to its copyright page.)

There are no specs per se beyond a note that a "laser cannon" functions as a "laser +1" in combat due to its more-effective fire control. This fire control also apparently takes up additional room in the single turret to the point that any Gunner manning that turret needs to be on the diminutive side (Strength 6-) in order to squeeze into place.

(Cf. The tour of duty by movie star Sabu Dastagir as a B-24 ball turret gunner in WWII; because of his small and lithe physical stature, he was the only member of his squadron who could fit into the claustrophobia-inducing belly weapon mount while wearing a parachute. He remarked later that he particularly enjoyed the view.)

Here is what a belly turret looked like in World War 2.
1_Twin_.50_Ball_Turret.png

Back