• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Personal Avatar

Originally posted by hunter:
Well actually at the moment only Moderators and Admins can use the custom avatars. If I do open it up to members I can limit the sizes.

What I've been doing up till now is just having you send it to me via email and I add it to the ones available to everyone.

Hunter
I don't mind a size limit, I hate flashing animations myself, huge horrible memory-eating adverts - I'd be happy to see the things banned web-wide - what's wrong with stills?

However, a personal avatar is supposed to be - personal. Let us all link, but limit the size, Hunter.

Yeah sure, allow free linking and sooner or later somebody uploads one of questionable taste.
file_28.gif

I also think Hunter's time and energy could be better spent on things other than checking through scores or more of emails pleading "here is uh avitur I made k f i have it?" Leading of course to the inevitable scores more of follow up "why not do you let me have my avitur?"

Not saying that's what would happen with this crowd, only that it's what I'd expect of the general populace of other boards in the same situation and I'd just as soon not see any borderline cases here tempted.

But hey, it's not my board, Hutner's call is the one that counts of course.

I was going to say, before being pre-empted by Mr. Boulton, that avatar-monitoring should surely be the monitors' ... em, moderators' ... remit rather than Hunter's. He's got other stuff to do.

Like Icosahedron, I myself am in the personal personal avatar camp. If only because it allows me to recognise my own posts more easily.

I sent a bunch of avatars made from public domain sources about three years ago... prolly got lost in the shuffle.

[Edit] I also notice that in the window for selecting avatars a half-dozen or so show up as broken links.

Originally posted by Straybow:
I sent a bunch of avatars made from public domain sources about three years ago... prolly got lost in the shuffle.
Very likely. But as I am active again, if you've got em, please resend them to me at grip (the @ sign) RPGRealms.com and I'll see about getting them added.

Caveat: They have to be good, tasteful, and must be your own work, from Traveller, or very obviously public domain.

Hunter

Originally posted by far-trader:
Yeah sure, allow free linking and sooner or later somebody uploads one of questionable taste.
file_28.gif

I also think Hunter's time and energy could be better spent on things other than checking through scores or more of emails pleading "here is uh avitur I made k f i have it?" Leading of course to the inevitable scores more of follow up "why not do you let me have my avitur?"

Not saying that's what would happen with this crowd, only that it's what I'd expect of the general populace of other boards in the same situation and I'd just as soon not see any borderline cases here tempted.

But hey, it's not my board, Hutner's call is the one that counts of course.
This sort of thing is partly down to the calibre of punters and partly down to the calibre of moderators. My experience with this site suggests that on both counts it probably would not happen here.

1. Size limit / stills only
2. If you can't post it in church, you can't post it here.
3. Moderators decision is final, no correspondence will be entered into.

Problem solved.

So, pretty please??

Third Imperium Banner as an Avatar?

Dear Folks -

This is actually to Hunter:

What was the final word? Would I be allowed to use the image I just posted to the Gallery as an avatar?
1_Tavonni_Avatar.jpg

If I could have a custom avater, there's a lovely pic of the enterprise (movie version) in orbit of earth with the sun behind it I'd love to use....

Certainly not in bad taste, surely public domain and related slightly to traveller given all the trek refs early traveller made.

I probably shouldn't but because I'm curious I'm just gonna throw this out there to see how much negativity it generates ;)

Why would we want Trek pics for avatars on a Traveller site?

Yeah, I get the connection, I just don't get it. Hard to explain my point. I guess it makes as much or more sense than some of the generic avatars that I don't get either :) I just feel being a Traveller site and all that Traveller avatars make the most sense, know what I mean? I wouldn't begrudge anyone a Trek avatar, or a SW avatar, or whatever in a tasteful SF theme. Traveller has borrowed from so many and was built (originally) to be usable for pretty much any SF setting, but I just wonder why. Would you want Traveller avatar on a Trek forurm? Wouldn't the Trekkies or Trekkers be asking "what's that?"

Back