• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Tap, tap, tap... Is this thing on?

You mentioned in another thread how Classic Traveller publishers will need to change product covers that are similar to the LBBs and I wanted to ask if/how that will affect Cepheus Engine products. For example, would this policy also require someone like Michael Brown to pull their line of Cepheus shorts to make new covers because they're somewhat similar to the LBBs? I ask because I'm planning to launch an imprint of adventures using CE mechanics. Not only is the LBB concept clean and elegant, it's a popular design customers identify with. And, more importantly, doesn't require a small publisher to spend funds hiring a cover artist. A little clarification would be appreciated, although I'm happy you mentioned this now before I entered the design phase. Thanks.
That is an excellent question.

In the main, we try to avoid touching or poking Cepheus in any way, as it is a distance removed from Traveller and therefore not really any of our business.

On the other hand, using someone else's trade dress is not... brilliant, especially if we are going to be actively using it (obvious confusion).

Right at this minute, I would suggest that future titles use a different type of cover that is removed from Traveller, and say that it would be super-super nice if existing titles had their covers changed...

We'll review this, but cart before the horse and all that. As I said, it would be super nice if this did not become a thing.

Additional: Just had a gander at Mr Brown's work (looking at Quick Starports right now).

Have to say, hats off to the gentleman. That is a very clever cover. Just kinda hints Traveller, but avoids trade dress.

Very good, full marks to him :)

No, we would not be interested in changing something like that at all, but I am guessing I won't have to look too hard to find covers that do veer a bit too close to the edge.

Thanks for the response. Would it be OK to run a cover design (once it's created) past you first to ensure it complies? I'm just trying to avoid a cease-and-desist situation in the future.
I don't think things would ever get that far - always better to do things with a quiet word and a please.

However, you would be welcome to send covers :)

Back