• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Planet 1.0

whartung

SOC-14 1K
I'm releasing my cleverly named project: Planet 1.0

I have taken the fractal planet generator written by Torben Mogensen, rewritten it in Java, built a GUI up around it, and created installers for Mac and Windows, and a combined jar file for Linux.

Note, this is not a Traveller system generator, it's simply a fractal planet generator. There's nothing Traveller specific in this project.

You can get the release on GitHub: https://github.com/willhartung/planet/releases/tag/v1.0.0

There is Help beneath the help menu.

The project is licensed under the AGPL.

This is the only Traveller or RPG/Gaming forum I participate in so if you think others might be interested, feel free to spread the word.

Comments welcome.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 8.24.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-06 at 8.26.17 AM.png

I'm releasing my cleverly named project: Planet 1.0

I have taken the fractal planet generator written by Torben Mogensen, rewritten it in Java, built a GUI up around it, and created installers for Mac and Windows, and a combined jar file for Linux.

Note, this is not a Traveller system generator, it's simply a fractal planet generator. There's nothing Traveller specific in this project.

You can get the release on GitHub: https://github.com/willhartung/planet/releases/tag/v1.0.0

There is Help beneath the help menu.

The project is licensed under the AGPL.

This is the only Traveller or RPG/Gaming forum I participate in so if you think others might be interested, feel free to spread the word.

Comments welcome.
Downloaded the Windows installer
Ran
It stops almost immediately after I start it.. and I don't see the app installed

Of course, the installer is something generated by a black box, so that's useless. "It worked on my machine(tm)" ("My machine" being a Window 10 VM). I honestly don't know anything about Windows anymore, last time I had a Windows box that I understood was 2005.

I downloaded it from the website, a simple 12 step process getting through the assorted security managers. But it eventually downloaded and ran.

The installer is not signed, when I open it I get a dialog, and then a warning "are you sure you want to install it" kind of thing, then the warning goes away, the dialog is shown and the little progress bar finishes the install. The program ends up the C:\Program File\Planet directory, with a Planet.exe in there. My user login has admin privileges (I think), but I don't know if the installer is run with those or not (isn't there Run with Admin thing that can be done?). Either way, while my user is Admin capable, I didn't have to use "run with admin" to install the file.

I'm asking alot, I'm sure, but could you look through this?

There's a part about enabling verbose MSI logging (but not sure you're even getting that far).

Did it work for you @Colonist #001 ?

I can try publishing an MSI file I think.
Yes, it worked great. I just copied a shortcut of the application to my desktop.
I have one suggestion, should you have the time, to improve the program. Save the current settings on exiting the program and reloading settings on start up. This will make it easier to produce consistent maps without manually changing settings every time.

It (should) prompt you to save your changes when you try to exit the program. At a minimum there's a Save (and Open) function in the file menu.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Back