• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Playing T20 from level 1

The only time I played T20 I was Referee so no, but the first two practice characters I rolled up I didn't take through prior history so they were level 1 and you can have a basically competent character (from a normal life (NPC) rather than adventurer perspective). For example, my second one was a Professional with Edu 15 (+2), starting 4 ranks in Astrogation and Professional Speciality (Astrogation). Professional Speciality means that for that one skill the character can Take 10 under any circumstances which is 16 total automatically. Since plot a normal space course is DC10 and plot a Jump course is DC15 your gap-year student Astrogator will not kill you or even get you lost under routine circumstances. On the other hand, if things start pushing up the DC so they have to roll to be able to make it, then things could start getting hairy.

That's a zero-term character, or perhaps a *really* unlucky one-term character. Without an established career, that first level would have to be one of the no-career-required classes.

T20 doesn't have a No Career Class. The closest you can come to that is rolling up your character with any Skills & Feats you get from growing up on your Home World and then going out into the universe as a level 1 Character with no Class. Those Skills are considered Class Skills and can be advanced accordingly while any other Skills are considered Cross Class Skills unless you use Hobby Feat to get some or from Feats, like getting Gunnery from Ships Weaponry Feat. You wouldn't have access to any Class Feats. You still get your starting Feats and Feats at every level divisible by 3.

Besides, a level 1 Character isn't really a no class character. They've had their initial training and instead of doing a Prior History to level them up, you are leveling them up from Level 1 through role playing. Not easy but possible.

Although this sounds like a cool challenge for me, it's also possible for a Character like this to Cross Class into one of the Core Classes if you meet the requirements. Or the reverse, things got so bad that you can't continue in any Career and are basically gaining experience as an unemployed/homeless/vagrant type of Character, hoping for a reversal of fortune or maybe thinking there is no way out of the darkness.

Thanks for the idea @GypsyComet !

T20 doesn't have a No Career Class. The closest you can come to that is rolling up your character with any Skills & Feats you get from growing up on your Home World and then going out into the universe as a level 1 Character with no Class. Those Skills are considered Class Skills and can be advanced accordingly while any other Skills are considered Cross Class Skills unless you use Hobby Feat to get some or from Feats, like getting Gunnery from Ships Weaponry Feat. You wouldn't have access to any Class Feats. You still get your starting Feats and Feats at every level divisible by 3.

Besides, a level 1 Character isn't really a no class character. They've had their initial training and instead of doing a Prior History to level them up, you are leveling them up from Level 1 through role playing. Not easy but possible.

Although this sounds like a cool challenge for me, it's also possible for a Character like this to Cross Class into one of the Core Classes if you meet the requirements. Or the reverse, things got so bad that you can't continue in any Career and are basically gaining experience as an unemployed/homeless/vagrant type of Character, hoping for a reversal of fortune or maybe thinking there is no way out of the darkness.

Thanks for the idea @GypsyComet !
The Employment section on page 124 helps define my thoughts. A brand new character who you wanted to start at Level 1 would probably need to be a "Core" class, NOT a Service class. The Core class comes first, the Core career follows, per that section (Service classes and careers are mostly the other way; you have to succeed in Enlistment to take the Service classes, which launches you into your first Term). Want to be the bookish 18 yr old? Lvl 1 Academic. Grew up in a mercantile family? Merchant-1. And so on.

The Employment section on page 124 helps define my thoughts. A brand new character who you wanted to start at Level 1 would probably need to be a "Core" class, NOT a Service class. The Core class comes first, the Core career follows, per that section (Service classes and careers are mostly the other way; you have to succeed in Enlistment to take the Service classes, which launches you into your first Term). Want to be the bookish 18 yr old? Lvl 1 Academic. Grew up in a mercantile family? Merchant-1. And so on.
Sounds like there should generally be an intern/apprentice ‘career’ that’s a step up from the usual vagrant/others especially for pre careers and missed enlistment.

Sounds like there should generally be an intern/apprentice ‘career’ that’s a step up from the usual vagrant/others especially for pre careers and missed enlistment.
I think this is considered to be part of the first four year term, or maybe a part of University life if you take this route before starting your career.

Prior history careers are prior history.
Once you have mustered out you are now playing Traveller, and your class is... Traveller.

So a brand new 18 year old that just starts adventuring is going to be a level 1 Traveller.

Prior history careers are prior history.
Once you have mustered out you are now playing Traveller, and your class is... Traveller.

So a brand new 18 year old that just starts adventuring is going to be a level 1 Traveller.
Not necessarily. Traveller is both what those who travel among the stars on a regular basis are called and also those who make a living as a Traveller among the stars as a career (there is a Traveller Class).

A Character of any Class can be played from level 1, although Army, Marine, Navy, and Scout would have to start in that Career and fail the survival roll (T20 isn't instant death during Prior History)(Failure means no experience for the Term, so start at level 1 if you don't try to Cross Class into another Career)

Back