• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Post your MgT2 errata

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Hey Everybody,

I thought we could start a thread for Mongoose Traveller version 2 errata. I've found a couple of things.

pg. 145
last paragraph says:
Encounters in bold cannot be ignored
But when you turn to the next page (pg. 146), there are no Encounters in bold on the Space Encounters table.

pg. 147
The Asteroid Mining table has Uncommon Ore in the the most common spot on the table - a roll of 7. I'd switch it with the 3-4 roll (2D x 20 tons of Common Ore). That way, Common Ore is more common.

Go ahead and post what you find.

This one is a little bit 'personal opinion' since I sent Matt the power to begin with.

I think the Psionic ability 'Mind Link' (which I called 'Mind Speak' when I sent it) should only be one Task Difficulty less that 'Send Thoughts' - Average (+8). It's easier, but it shouldn't be THAT easy.

I also sent them 'Suggestion'. They rewrote them a bit to make them more usable in the game, but it's really cool to see stuff I've worked on show up in a book. :)

Last edited:
Hey Everybody,

I thought we could start a thread for Mongoose Traveller version 2 errata. I've found a couple of things.

pg. 145
last paragraph says:

But when you turn to the next page (pg. 146), there are no Encounters in bold on the Space Encounters table.

IMO the items that are meant to be bold (Ive put an asterisk against them in my book) are items 2, 11, 16, 21, 23, 24, 36, 42, 51, 56, 61, 71, 75, 86, 93 and you could feasibly also add items 63, 95 and 96 to those depending on your ship size and mission.

Overall there is very little errata in this book and I am very happy to see Mongoose producing stuff of this quality.

Explosives: Doubling the amount adds a Die to the damage. Plastic and TDX do not have any weights listed to calculate "amounts."

Initiative: "The effect of the Initiative check determines initiative order."
Why have a check, when you get the same thing with a direct roll, and avoid the 8+ math?

Encumbrance:
Pg.92
A Traveller can carry equipment totaling a number of kilograms equal to combined STR and END, plus ranks in athletics, without penalty.

(This should be average of STR+END in Kg.)

Rationale:

An average PC with 7 STR and 7 END would by this rule easily carry 14kg without penalty. That's 30lbs of gear. I guarantee you aren't going to be running or doing anything without penalty with a 30lb backpack or sack of dog food on your back.

The same PC could carry up to 60lbs with a Bane. I have seen Many common soldiers with rucks up to 110 lbs, and not one of them had exceptional stats.

An exceptional PC with 10 STR and 10 END could carry 20kg, or 44 lbs. 88lbs with a Bane.

The unencumbered value is too high, and the max load value is too low.

"the mass of armor is distributed...You can reduce the mass of armor...by 75%"
Id suggest this applies to all properly carried and stowed gear, such as any backpack, gear attachments, etc.

Battledress: pg.96

BD Increases STR and DEX by +4, at TL 14 both are +6.

That's essentially +4Kg (8lbs) and 6 kg (13lbs) respectively. Pretty weak exoskeleton.

CT had Battledress double STR (and effectively double lifting capacity)

I suggest Battledress should simply double the lifting capacity of the wearer, and double the number of hours of heavy labor (END) per the Fatigue rules on pg 76.

ex: BD doubles STR and END of the wearer for STR and END based skill checks and lifting and fatigue. At TL 14, STR and END are multiplied by 1.5. Dex is unaffected.

Vehicles pg. 130

A vehicle may change its current speed by one speed band at the start of every combat round (6 seconds), if travelling at Fast or less. Or by one speed band every minute (10 rounds) if travelling faster.

This means ALL vehicles can accelerate from 1-20kph in 6 seconds. This equates to 0.93 M/S/S, and a travel distance of 16m. That's 1/10th of a G.

To get to 90 kph (60 mph) which is Slow Speed, ALL Traveller vehicles will require 6 seconds to get to Idle, 6 seconds to get to Very Slow and 6 seconds to get to Slow.
That's 18 seconds.

So the fastest any Traveller vehicle can accelerate is 0-60 in 18 seconds.

A Tesla Model S can get to 60mph in 2.39 seconds and is pulling 1.14g.

A semi-truck around 80,000 lbs takes 2-5 minutes to get to 60 mph.

Shouldn't individual vehicles have their own Acceleration sorry "Movement" characteristics?

Heavy truck, 1 speed band every 15-30 rounds .
Average civilian car 1 band per round.
Sports car/motorcycle, aircraft: 2-4 speed bands per round.

At higher speeds, for example from Very fast to Subsonic, 800kph to 1200kph takes one minute.

An unloaded F16 takes 25 seconds to reach Mach 1, at 1200 kph. That's half again faster than the suggested 6 seconds per band! (6x8 = 48 seconds per rules).

Did anyone even consider real world capabilities?

Vehicles Combat Pg. 132

Closed Vehicles. "Closed vehicles grant cover to visible occupants with a bonus equal to the armor value." I assume this means a negative DM to be hit equal to the AV of the vehicle.

So the driver of a moving van would have a DM -2 to be hit by gunfire.

Open vehicles grant no cover. So an Air/Raft driver has no cover? Even though half of his body is obscured?

I suggest:

Enclosed vehicles provide a DM of double the AV, minimum of 2 for unarmored vehicles to visible occupants.

Open topped vehicles provide a DM equal to the AV of the vehicle, with a minimum of DM -1.

Ridden vehicles that do not obscure the occupants provide no cover.

Vehicle Weapons pg. 133

All weapons mounted on a closed vehicle may not be used to attack targets within 5% of the weapons range."

I think this is the only instance where the players have to do any kind of real math.
Simplified, this means that these weapons cannot be used against adjacent targets. much simpler.

Damaging Vehicles. I note that most vehicles have less armor (2 AV) than the typical traveler in Cloth armor (8 AV).

I suggest that only laser, machine guns and grenades can damage vehicles, and have their damage reduced by half, and all other small arms cannot damage vehicles at all.

Combat pg. 71

Common targeting modifiers:
"Fast Moving target. -1 for every full 10m of target movement relative to the attacker."

This is not defined. Is this 10m of movement of "velocity"? 10m of movement in the previous round? Not sure what this means.

Multiplying a vehicles speed in Kph by 0.6 gets us meters per six second combat round.
[Kph/3.6 = m/s.] [m/s *5 = meters/round]

I suggest that the following targeting modifiers -1 for every 20m/round be implemented:

Target is moving: DM
0-20m/round ( < 12 kph) DM +0
21-40m/round (<65 kph) DM -1
41-60m/round (< 100 kph) DM -2
etc...

Dodging pg. 72

"A Traveller who is dodging will inflict a penalty equal to his DEX DM or Athletics (dexterity) whichever is higher to the attackers roll."

So, only those people with a DEX of 9+ can dodge to any meaningful advantage? And only those with Athletics ranks can make a skill check?

This should read:
"A Traveller who opts to dodge will inflict a penalty on the attack dodged, equal to the effect of his Athletics (dexterity) check to the attackers roll." Since this is a reaction, the DM is -1.

(alternately this could be an opposed roll dodge vs attack)

Parrying pg. 73

Suggest same mechanic as above, replacing Melee with Athletics.

Without this clarification, those with no DMs gain no benefit form dodging or parrying....so whats the point?? May as well go at combat like Warhammer 40kmarines....

Weapons pg. 73

Range: Short Range. "If a target lies within a quarter of a weapons range.."
"Long range: If a target is beyond the weapons range, but less than twice the range.."

Seriously? We have to calculate these for every weapon? If this is a thing, it should just be listed in the weapon data. And these should have space on the character sheet.

And why is the range x4, x2, and x4? Why not consistent at x2 or x4?

I though the point of 2e was to eliminate most calculations for a simpler game?

Short Range: 25% Range. [10m]
Range: as listed [40m]
Long Range: 200% Range [80m]
Extreme: up to 400% Range. [320m]

Wouldn't it be simpler to list the short range and double from there?

Short Range: 10m
Medium or Effective Range: 4* Short = 40m
LongRange: 2* Effective = 80m
Extreme: 4* Long = 320m

Suggest : Establish close range and quadruple each band from there.

Short: 10m
Medium: 40m
Long: 160m
Extreme: 320

Its close enough and easier to calculate linearly.

Starship Operations:
Pg. 145

Repairs and Maintenance:
"Maintenance costs 0.1% of the total purchase price of the ship per year, and should be carried out each month (divide by 12 to find monthly cost. Once per year this should be performed at a shipyard."

What should be done annually at the shipyard? One months worth or the whole annual maintenance?

"If monthly maintenance is skipped" the ship suffers poor maintenance effects."

So this would seem to indicate that BOTH monthly and annual maintenance must be done, effectively doubling the maintenance costs.

Suggest that it be worded:

"Maintenance costs 0.1% of the total build price of the ship, per year. Half of that expense (.05%) should be carried out each month by the crew (divide by 24 to find monthly costs in parts.) In addition, once per year annual maintenance should be performed at a shipyard costing .05% of the total build price (parts and labor) of the ship."

Starship Operations
Pg.150

Repairs.

As worded, the cost to repair any system is based on the Engineer roll to repair it.
Shouldn't the engineer know what he needs in parts BEFORE he fixes it?

Repairs will never require more than 1 ton of spare parts to fix? wait what?

I suggest that the Severity of the hit have a static parts cost as listed on the Critical Hit repair table (inverted). the Engineer check should only affect the amount of time required to repair it.

In addition, a negative effect should increase the parts required and the time required to affect the repair.

Example:

Critical Hit Repair
Severity of Hit Engineer Check DM Cost of repairs
1 +2 1Dx10,000 Cr
2 +0 2Dx10,000Cr
3 -2 3Dx10,000Cr
4 -4 4D6x10,000Cr
5 -6 5D6x10,000Cr
6 -8 6D6x10,000Cr

Critical Hit Repair
Engineer Effect Time required
6+ 1D-3 hours reduce parts cost by 20%
1-5 1D hours reduce parts cost by 10%
0 1D+1 Hours
-1 2D Hours
-2 --5 2D+2 Hours and Increase cost by 20%
-6+ 3D hours and Increase cost by 50%

Space Combat [REVISED]
pg 154.

There is no mention of actually "detecting" nor "tracking" and enemy ship.

Critical Hit effects.
There are no listed entries that reduce, rather than disable, Sensors, Jump drives or maneuver drives.

For a "crit" an effect of 6 and inflicting damage is required.
Size of the vessel doesn't play in to this? So the same weapon is as likely to crit an 800 ton cruiser as a scout ship.

"The severity of the crit is equal to the damage..divided by 10."

One beam laser has no chance of a crit (1D hits). IN order to score a crit on an AV2 ship, you must first roll an effect of 6+, and do enough damage to bypass armor, normally 2. Rolling max damage with a beam laser, with a crit effect of 6, nets us 12 points, -2 AV leaves 10 points which divided by 10= a single severity 1 crit. The odds of this are very very small. It requires at least 5 beam lasers (1D +1/add'tl laser) to reliably inflict enough damage to score a crit on an AV2 ship. Avg die roll of 3, +6 crit effect, + 4 for additional lasers. How do you get 5+ lasers on a single target? Unless you allow synchronising multiple turrets, the most you can get is three in a triple turret. So only bays or pulse lasers or missiles will reliably inflict crits, and even then generally only severity 1 or 2.

5 beam lasers should shred a smaller ship.

One Pulse laser has a better chance of inflicting a crit, while a missile is even much more likely.

In the rules as written, a 100t scout with 2 points armor and a 800t Merc Cruiser with 2pts armor both require an effect of '6' and at least 6 points of damage to achieve a severity 1 crit. (6+6-2=10/10=1). 7 points (+6) for a severity 2, 17 (+6) points for a severity 3, etc.

Id like to consider a system that factors in hull size when calculating crits, where smaller ships take more severity, and larger ship take less.

If we use the Hull factor, where 100t is 1, 200 is 2, etc, and reduce the crit threshold from 1/10 to something like:
< 100 tons
100 t 1/2
200 t 1/4
300t 1/6
400t 1/8
500t 1/10
600t 1/12
700t 1/14
800t 1/16
900t 1/18
1000t 1/20

In the suggested rules , a 100t scout with 2 points armor would on an effect of '6' and at least 1 point of damage suffer a severity 2 crit. (6+1-2=5/2=2). 4 points for a severity 3, 6 points for a severity 4, etc.

Our 800 Merc Cruiser, on the other hand with 2 points armor would on an effect of '6' require at least 12 point of damage to suffer a severity 1 crit. (6+12-2=16/16=1). 28 points for a severity 2, 44 points for a severity 3, etc.

Much more scaled.

Suggest that rather than being disabled, locations are reduced in effectiveness by one level per crit severity.

Weapon: "Random weapon disabled" Does this mean a turret or just one weapon within a turret?

Last edited:
Starship Operations:
Sensors pg 150

"Under normal circumstances, an Electronics (sensors) check is all that is required to detect and identify a target that has moved into range of sensors." This should probably be a step at the beginning of starship combat. You cant fight an opponent you cannot detect.

Shouldn't sensor have some DMs based on distance and emissions/size of the opposing vessel?

Starship Combat
pg.161

Sensor Lock (Sensor Operator)
"An improved target lock may be obtained on an enemy spacecraft with a successful Electronics (sensors) check. Attacks made by the spacecraft against this target gain a
Boon until the sensor lock is broken (see Electronic Warfare)."

Is this a Sensor Lock, or an Improved Target Lock. Call it one thing.
It should be subject to the DMs noted below. Is there any defense to this? Opposed pilot roll or EW roll?

Electronic Warfare (Sensor Operator)
"A ship’s sensor operator may attempt to jam the communications of an enemy by making an opposed Electronics (comms) check against the sensor operator in the target spacecraft. The same process may be used with the Electronics (sensors) skill to break a sensor lock."
Suggest Computer Model/Number as DMs for both sides. Range and EM should not apply.

Suggest the following:

Electronics (sensors) DMs
Distance
Adjacent +4
Close 10km +2
Short 1,250km +0
Medium 10,000km -2
Long 25,000km -4
V. Long 50,000km -6
Distant 50,000km+ -8

Vessel EM Signature:
Nil -4
Faint -2
Moderate +0
Strong +2

Computer Model. Add computer model/number as a DM to sensor checks.

EM signatures:
Nil: Military vessels up to 400 tons.
Faint: Small craft and commercial vessels up to 200 tons. Military vessels 400-1,000 tons.
Moderate: Commercial vessels 300 to 1000 tons, military vessels over 1,000 tons.
Strong: Commercial vessels over 1,000 tons, military vessels over 10k tons, orbital stations, beacons, etc.

Common Spacecraft

Quirks
Pg 164

Can Quirks be repaired as normal?

Suggest providing specific details as how to repair or remedy each quirk.

Unless they are deemed to be permanent with no hopes of repairing them.

Thanks for posting all of this, but I have to correct you on one thing.

A semi-truck around 80,000 lbs takes 2-5 minutes to get to 60 mph.

If it took 2-5 minutes for a 40 ton truck to get up to 60mph, they be flipped off by sooo many people.

3-5 seconds per gear and most semi trucks are 9 or 10 gears. So, more like 30 to 50 seconds for a truck to get to 60mph.

Common Spacecraft

Quirks
Pg 164

Can Quirks be repaired as normal?

Suggest providing specific details as how to repair or remedy each quirk.

Unless they are deemed to be permanent with no hopes of repairing them.

Or they are like playing whack a mole. Fix one and another pops up.

Back