• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Proof of idenity in the OTU?

The skill is pretty basic, which is likely why there's no need to recertify for cars today.

The vast bulk of driver training is rules, rather than physical skill. There is absolutely skill involved, as demonstrated when my mother tried to teach my brother and he lithobraked the car using a fence. But it only take a little practice to become adept.

I, personally, am self taught. We used to have a back lot, and my mom would let me drive the car around it. It has a manual transmission, and was great at throwing rooster tails of dirt up in the air. It was great fun. Learned all about friction zone, shift time, fishtailing the car.

I am self taught on a bicycle, self taught on a motorcycle. The trick on a bicycle is going fast enough the first time, then its easy. During my adventure, I couldn't figure out how to stop (I dragged my feet, wished I was learning on a girls bike >.< ). By about my 4th try, I had the coaster brake down, and was skidding in the dirt. Whee!

My first motorcycle was a moped, I road it around the block the first day I got it. I, literally, put 50 miles on it that day. Moved up to a scooter, had mishaps, survived. When I got my "real" motorcycle, I learned to shift in a parking lot (friend rode it off the lot for me). 1/2 hr later I was on the street. I started riding in 1983-84. I finally took a formal class (MSF course) in 1989.

It has not been a scratch free learning experience, looking back, nothing I learned in my classes, likely would have prevented the mishaps that I did have. I do recommend them though.
The self taught or taught by parent or driving school would be Vehicle-0. Minimal professional driving or say one of those security driving courses would be Vehicle-1.

Vehicle-2 would be professional driver, Vehicle-3+ would be the realm of the race driver or elite bodyguard driver to a major figure.

My thought with the skill level adjustments is that the average skill of generic driver might be treated one way but a demonstrably superior professional or elite driver is more likely to be accepted without question. StarMario Andretti gets to drive, no problem.

Last edited:
I've done the high law thing before. The players are on a relatively high law world with a bureaucratic government with moderate tech level. The government says their grav car (aka air raft sort of), is an "aircraft." Therefore the operator(s) need a pilot's license--they don't have because that isn't required specifically to operate one on high-tech worlds--and the vehicle will have to undergo inspection and certification as an "aircraft" to fly on that world. The process shouldn't take more than a year or so, and the equivalent of about 20,000 credits, to complete...

Back