• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Question: Converting GT to CT?

Whelp, I received my first GT books in from Noble Knight today: Humani and Nobles.

Flipped through them. They look "ok" (about as "ok" as a non-CT items can be ... I consider them half-useful given that they're background only).

My question is this--

Is there a web site or some such that has conversion rules? To convert GT to CT?

I think I've heard that GT tech level is a bit different form CT tech level -- off by a point or two, something like that.

I've never played GURPS in my life. I don't know much about the system at all--from what I have seen, it's just never turned me on. I've avoided GURPS my whole gaming career.

So, I'm a babe in the woods when converting GT characters and stuff to CT format.

I'm looking for a little guidance (and possibly make these GT book more useful for my CT game).

Anybody got input on this?

Whelp, I received my first GT books in from Noble Knight today: Humani and Nobles.

Flipped through them. They look "ok" (about as "ok" as a non-CT items can be ... I consider them half-useful given that they're background only).

My question is this--

Is there a web site or some such that has conversion rules? To convert GT to CT?

I think I've heard that GT tech level is a bit different form CT tech level -- off by a point or two, something like that.

I've never played GURPS in my life. I don't know much about the system at all--from what I have seen, it's just never turned me on. I've avoided GURPS my whole gaming career.

So, I'm a babe in the woods when converting GT characters and stuff to CT format.

I'm looking for a little guidance (and possibly make these GT book more useful for my CT game).

Anybody got input on this?

On the high end, GTL and TTL equivalencies are set as:
TTL 8 = GTL 8
TTL 9 - 11 = GTL 9
TTL 12 - 13 = GTL 10
TTL 14 = GTL 11
TTL 15 = GTL 12
TTL 16 = GTL 13

Note that I disagree with these, but those are what is officially given in GURPS Traveller. (For GURPS 3e. Note that GURPS 4e changed their TLs, and GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars has different equivalencies.)

On the high end, GTL and TTL equivalencies are set as:
TTL 8 = GTL 8
TTL 9 - 11 = GTL 9
TTL 12 - 13 = GTL 10
TTL 14 = GTL 11
TTL 15 = GTL 12
TTL 16 = GTL 13

Note that I disagree with these, but those are what is officially given in GURPS Traveller. (For GURPS 3e. Note that GURPS 4e changed their TLs, and GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars has different equivalencies.)

Great. Thanks.

A couple of questions:

1 - Do you have the other TL equivalencies? For Interstellar Wars?

2 - What about characters? Stat and Skill levels? What's a good rule of thumb for changing those to CT?

Great. Thanks.

A couple of questions:

1 - Do you have the other TL equivalencies? For Interstellar Wars?

2 - What about characters? Stat and Skill levels? What's a good rule of thumb for changing those to CT?

For GT:ISW
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> TTL IWTL
9 9
10-11 10
12-13 11
14-15 12
16+ 13+</pre>[/QUOTE]

For GT:ISW
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> TTL IWTL
9 9
10-11 10
12-13 11
14-15 12
16+ 13+</pre>[/QUOTE]

No thoughts on converting characters Sig?

What's a minimal Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-0?

What's an average Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-1.

What's a proficient Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-2?

What's a professional Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-3?

Where to skills typically max out ... equivalent to CT Skill-5 or Skill-6?

No thoughts on converting characters Sig?

What's a minimal Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-0?

What's an average Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-1.

What's a proficient Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-2?

What's a professional Skill level ... equivalent to CT Skill-3?

Where to skills typically max out ... equivalent to CT Skill-5 or Skill-6?

GT skills tend not to "max out". You can build them up pretty high if you are really dedicated to it. Also, keep in mind that GT has many, many more skills that CT ever thought about, including many things that are just "assumed" in CT. For example, "cooking" is a GT skill, but just something the player decides a character can do in CT.

And many times GT will divide skills up. For example, CT's "medical" skill encompasses many GT skills. Same for "engineering"; it could take a half-dozen skills to get the same effect as the single "engineering" skill in CT.

The biggest thing to remember is that GT uses 3D6 for its skill rolls, as compared to the 2D6 used in CT. Also, CT tends to use "roll-over" for success (i.e. roll 8+ to hit); GT tends toward "roll-under" (i.e. roll your skill, e.g. 12, or less to succeed).

With this view, you should be able to figure out the points of statistical equivalency for such an analysis.

That all said, off the top of my head, I would say that a skill-10 in GT would be about the same as skill-0 in CT. Skill-12 in GT is what is expected of a character to show "certifiable" proficiency (i.e. to be a "licensed pilot", you would need pilot-12). Skill-15 is probably roughly equivalent to Skill-3 in CT. Anything above that is pretty exception and requires significant dedication.

GT skills tend not to "max out". You can build them up pretty high if you are really dedicated to it. Also, keep in mind that GT has many, many more skills that CT ever thought about, including many things that are just "assumed" in CT. For example, "cooking" is a GT skill, but just something the player decides a character can do in CT.

And many times GT will divide skills up. For example, CT's "medical" skill encompasses many GT skills. Same for "engineering"; it could take a half-dozen skills to get the same effect as the single "engineering" skill in CT.

The biggest thing to remember is that GT uses 3D6 for its skill rolls, as compared to the 2D6 used in CT. Also, CT tends to use "roll-over" for success (i.e. roll 8+ to hit); GT tends toward "roll-under" (i.e. roll your skill, e.g. 12, or less to succeed).

With this view, you should be able to figure out the points of statistical equivalency for such an analysis.

That all said, off the top of my head, I would say that a skill-10 in GT would be about the same as skill-0 in CT. Skill-12 in GT is what is expected of a character to show "certifiable" proficiency (i.e. to be a "licensed pilot", you would need pilot-12). Skill-15 is probably roughly equivalent to Skill-3 in CT. Anything above that is pretty exception and requires significant dedication.

Found this in an old TML article...

(quote)

GURPS to CT strieks me as pretty simple. Kock three off the stats,
guesstimate Edu and Soc from the write-up and ads/disads, and trim
the skill list to match the character's age and background. Done.

As for tasks, pick a CT skill and assume you need 8+, then adjust by
1/2 or 2/3s of the modifiers the GT task gives (I'd use 1/2 as while
GUPS' 3d6 rolls imply a 2/3rds ratio GURPS tends to be very free with
penalties to task rolls).

(end quote)

Does that sound about right to any of you familiar with GURPS and/or GT?

Found this in an old TML article...

(quote)

GURPS to CT strieks me as pretty simple. Kock three off the stats,
guesstimate Edu and Soc from the write-up and ads/disads, and trim
the skill list to match the character's age and background. Done.

As for tasks, pick a CT skill and assume you need 8+, then adjust by
1/2 or 2/3s of the modifiers the GT task gives (I'd use 1/2 as while
GUPS' 3d6 rolls imply a 2/3rds ratio GURPS tends to be very free with
penalties to task rolls).

(end quote)

Does that sound about right to any of you familiar with GURPS and/or GT?

Back