• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fighters/PT Boats in the Traveller Universe

Assault drop capsule launcher was one tonne, though could be from Striker.

It didn't seems controversial, being double that of the capsule volume.

It might from somewhere else.

Striker Book 2 page 43.

No reason you can't install more launchers

A "5t barbette" could launch 5 drop troops in a volley.

A "50t bay" could conceivably launch 50 drop troops in one volley

A "100t bay" could launch 100 drop troops in a volley...

No. You may want to go and learn a bit more about orbital mechanics.
It's the phonograph record thing, isn't it? If he geosynchs with some point on the surface, he's inscribing a larger circle than that point so going faster, and he has to shed that velocity as he descends in order to keep that point beneath him. I remember that from Calvin and Hobbs.

YES. Wind isn't orbital mechanics. You might want to study wind IF you actually read and COMPREHENDED what I wrote I didn't say to go into an ORBIT.
:ROFLMAO:
You've got your dropship entering the upper atmosphere to drop capsules? Seems to me it's likely to get pretty shot up there. I thought jump troops' purpose was "to assault from orbit, penetrating the planetary defenses in small one-man jump capsules." (Striker Book 2) Are we operating under a new definition of orbit?

Right. Only a malfunctioning person would chuck pods out at orbital velocity. You come to geosync over the target area and drop
Okay, that puts the capsules in geosync orbit, unless you mean that you actively 'hover' over a spot at a much lower altitude (say a couple of hundred kilometres). If you're hovering even 100 km above Earth, by the time the capsules get to 30km altitude (where significant atmosphere starts) they'll be falling at ~1.2 km/s, which means a very obvious reentry.

It also means both the ship and the capsules are very vulnerable to attack.

OTOH, there's no reason why a ship can't come in rather lower and drop them on a fly-by. Faster, harder to shoot down, potentially lower velocity for the capsules.

You've got your dropship entering the upper atmosphere to drop capsules? Seems to me it's likely to get pretty shot up there. I thought jump troops' purpose was "to assault from orbit, penetrating the planetary defenses in small one-man jump capsules." (Striker Book 2) Are we operating under a new definition of orbit?
No, I was simply using the balloon example to show that you can drop someone from outer space basically in a vaccsuit if you are NOT at orbital speed. And, if you haven't handled SEAD they are doomed even in a drop capsule

Okay, that puts the capsules in geosync orbit, unless you mean that you actively 'hover' over a spot at a much lower altitude (say a couple of hundred kilometres). If you're hovering even 100 km above Earth, by the time the capsules get to 30km altitude (where significant atmosphere starts) they'll be falling at ~1.2 km/s, which means a very obvious reentry.
You just hover right above the atmosphere. One click above. This isn't f'ing difficult.

You just hover right above the atmosphere. One click above. This isn't f'ing difficult.
Could you make your mind up.

First you say achieve a geosynchronous orbit above your drop point - fine, you are moving at ~3km/s relative to the atmosphere and you are 35,000 km from the surface.

Now you say you are hovering just above the atmosphere, which requires you to be in orbit at 7 km/s unless you are using the magic of gravitics to hold station while matching the Earth's rotation, which makes you a sitting duck.

This is what you said.
So? The atmosphere is also going at that speed. Doesn't matter when dropped. The balloon the guy was in was at very edge of space. The air up there was going at geosync too.
The air is not moving at geosync speed.

YES. Wind isn't orbital mechanics. You might want to study wind IF you actually read and COMPREHENDED what I wrote I didn't say to go into an ORBIT.
:ROFLMAO:
I can comprehend, it's what you said makes little sense.

Back